Fleetwood Away Match Thread

sage

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Two of the next three are away to follow on from three of the past four.

Somewhere further on in the season we will have a run of 4 in 6 or 5 in 7 being at Pride Park and that’s when we can really make a mark.

I know Posh looked decent and Bolton are picking up the points.

But it will be a huge failure if we don’t go up this season. The league in general is dire. 

Pompey, Barnsley, Posh and Bolton fans are probably saying the same thing. At least two of us will miss out.

4 of the next 6 are at home. Then Exeter away, followed by another 4 out of 6 at home.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

It’s more the lack of a functioning midfield than the back three. Countless times they get exposed because there’s a chasm in front of them. 

Agree that doesn’t help either - Bird and Hourihane as a midfield two is too one paced. Bradley still scares me though when the ball goes near him.

Not a bad game. You could almost say routine away win. Plenty of effort, too much ball in the air for us to be truly dominant but our skill, strength and experience was enough to see us over the line. Fleetwood weren’t without threat so we couldn’t be casual, that said, bar a few nervy moments there was only going to be one winner. Pleased for everyone.

As @Caerphilly Ram knows (😳) I am not very good at this formation malarkey but it does occur to me that Bradley would be better in a CB pairing in a 442. That is what he played mostly at Luton. He gets exposed in a 3, doesn’t have the speed to adjust when there are difficulties. Anyway he did ok and a right royal Anglo Saxon 2 fingers to all those who love a whipping boy. Your last one Collins ain’t doing too bad is he ? Give them a break will you ! 

Cash was powerful again, NML was all over the place, Wilson is an attack terrier and Bird who drifts through games sometimes, showed his quality in neon lights at the end.

UTR 😎🍻

Skygo refused to work so Rams TV it was then - from Amsterdam. They mentioned the possibility of going third several times, but we put paid to that yet again. But at 3 - 1 with 2 minutes added time to go they said again, as if no-one had thought of it “Of we score another we’ll go third”!!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄. What a stupid thing to come out with. Especially as we’d have gone third if we hadn’t ponced about for most of the second half.

Come on Paul, try getting us to keep on what has worked for most of the match instead of reigning us back because we are no good reigned back. We could already be firmly sat in the automatic places.

A really solid win in what was an attritional game. It’s the kind of game where you have to dig in and find a way to win and we did.

Fleetwood worked hard and battled away. On another day, they may have scored two or three. The change of shape and personnel left us looking less and less assured and riding our luck somewhat.

The difference between the two teams for me was that in a game of limited chances and quality, we were clinical.

Bird and Hourihane never controlled the game but popped up with flashes of quality to decide the game. Mendez Laing and Wilson always posed a threat as expected being our most dangerous players.

But for me, the biggest applause goes to Collins. He doesn’t have the technique of a McGoldrick, but he puts his body on the line for the cause, sets the tone for the rest of the team, and you can see his confidence is soaring at the moment and his instincts in the box are really shining through.

Really professional win. Another v Bradford, please.

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree that doesn’t help either - Bird and Hourihane as a midfield two is too one paced. Bradley still scares me though when the ball goes near him.

Bird, and Hourihane to a degree, both have too much quality for this league. Both are capable of brilliance in their own ways. But you're right, they are so easy to get at, as well as too easy to have runners going past them when we're being countered. 

But then we don't concede many goals. I think we can cope against anyone outside the top 8 with those 2 in there, but against the other 7, we do get properly overrun in midfield- and concede a disproportionate amount of goals. 

Just got back from Fleetwood (we took our time, walked into town for some fish and chips and a chat with numerous Derby fans before setting off.) I am a bit surprised at some of the faint praise from people on here for a good away win and the avoidance of a slip up against an energetic team fighting for a new manager. 

I seem to remember we "battered" the Cod Army 0-0 here last season, playing expansive but ultimately unproductive football. 

I much prefer us playing like we did today and bringing home three points. 

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Bird, and Hourihane to a degree, both have too much quality for this league. Both are capable of brilliance in their own ways. But you're right, they are so easy to get at, as well as too easy to have runners going past them when we're being countered. 

But then we don't concede many goals. I think we can cope against anyone outside the top 8 with those 2 in there, but against the other 7, we do get properly overrun in midfield- and concede a disproportionate amount of goals. 

Totally agree. 

Horses for courses...

Against P'Boro they were too pedestrian.  

Just got back, another 3 points although an ugly one, can’t imagine the second half was easy for us with the sun in there eyes.

Go most away games but couldn’t believe today some of the stuff I was hearing, Bradley lumped it up which lead to our first goal as soon as he did it guy behind shouting “you’re f****** sh*t Bradley… 10 seconds later we score.

Early second half couple behind aswell shouting “run Collins you sh*t fat B*stard” he’s literally just scored his 16 of the season and doesn’t stop running?? Absolute pathetic idiots at times!

Really do hope we strengthen this window and learn from last January though, think we’re a winger a big tough CDM and a AM that scores away from being a really really good side 

anyway on a more positive note the Cheltenham result gives us even more joy with our tough 3 points, up the rams

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

I seem to remember we "battered" the Cod Army 0-0 here last season, playing expansive but ultimately unproductive football. 

Say it quietly but I thought we played some pretty attractive football (in spells) today!

We just seem to keep running out of gas. Think recruitment is going to be so, so vital this month.

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just got back from Fleetwood (we took our time, walked into town for some fish and chips and a chat with numerous Derby fans before setting off.) I am a bit surprised at some of the faint praise from people on here for a good away win and the avoidance of a slip up against an energetic team fighting for a new manager. 

See what you did there 😉 🐟 🍟 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Skygo refused to work so Rams TV it was then - from Amsterdam. They mentioned the possibility of going third several times, but we put paid to that yet again. But at 3 - 1 with 2 minutes added time to go they said again, as if no-one had thought of it “Of we score another we’ll go third”!!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄. What a stupid thing to come out with. Especially as we’d have gone third if we hadn’t ponced about for most of the second half.

Come on Paul, try getting us to keep on what has worked for most of the match instead of reigning us back because we are no good reigned back. We could already be firmly sat in the automatic places.

How does Warne get the blame today?

He didn't make any changes to make us more defensive and I certainly didn't see him on the touchline waving players back.

At some point in time people are going to have to realise that in football when a team has a slender deficit in the second half they will often throw the kitchen sink and put the other team under pressure.

Must admit was quietly a bit nervous about this game, not because of the starting line up, but because this is the type of team and situation ( bottom of the league, new manager) that we have come unstuck against previously, so having won this one feels like a bit of a statement. Thought Wilson had a brilliant first half especially, Collins worked so hard as usual, and Bird also good after getting, in my opinion, some undeserved stick on here. Onwards we go!

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How does Warne get the blame today?

He didn't make any changes to make us more defensive and I certainly didn't see him on the touchline waving players back.

At some point in time people are going to have to realise that in football when a team has a slender deficit in the second half they will often throw the kitchen sink and put the other team under pressure.

I agree.....

But...we do seem to really 'sit in' deliberately, bring everyone back, lump it clear. And we eg bring on Bradley, it does feel like there's an element of choosing to invite pressure.