Fleetwood Away Match Thread

sage

Having not watched Fleetwood, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of their best performances of the season.  And, to be fair, you could probably have predicted it.  New manager, at home against one of the top sides and needing the points.

Once we settled after the first 15 mins or so we were in control in the first half.  Even in the 2nd half, for all the criticism of the back 3, how many saves did Vickers have to make?  I thought it was good movement from the striker for their goal.  NML, deservedly MOM.  I thought he caused them lots of problems every time he got on the ball.

Bradley is by no means a disaster.  He made some interceptions and clearances at corners.  I thought it was a decent performance for his first start in a while.

44 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Had a little nose at this earlier, our away form is really good so far this season, most impressive;

IMG_1473.jpeg

Two of the next three are away to follow on from three of the past four.

Somewhere further on in the season we will have a run of 4 in 6 or 5 in 7 being at Pride Park and that’s when we can really make a mark.

I know Posh looked decent and Bolton are picking up the points.

But it will be a huge failure if we don’t go up this season. The league in general is dire. 

Pompey, Barnsley, Posh and Bolton fans are probably saying the same thing. At least two of us will miss out.

Thought we played better last week and lost.   Still it's 3 points and you can only beat what's in front of you. 

I don't like the back 3 - or at least I don't think Cashin, Nelson or Bradley like a back 3.  Maybe if we commit the wing backs a bit less - go for solidity. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

Mixed bag performance for me.

Poor first 15 then took control till about 60 mins, then brucking it for the next 20.

I didn't realise Marriott was playing till he went off and they suddenly were galvanised.

We made subs 10 mins too late.

Lovely 3 points though.

Absolutely needed Thompson’s energy sooner. 

34 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Two of the next three are away to follow on from three of the past four.

Somewhere further on in the season we will have a run of 4 in 6 or 5 in 7 being at Pride Park and that’s when we can really make a mark.

I know Posh looked decent and Bolton are picking up the points.

But it will be a huge failure if we don’t go up this season. The league in general is dire. 

Pompey, Barnsley, Posh and Bolton fans are probably saying the same thing. At least two of us will miss out.

I'm not sure I'd say it would be a "huge" failure. As you say, there are three other decent teams who's supporters will have high hopes. It doesn't really matter if the league in general is dire, you only need 2 better teams (to grab the automatic places) and another to be better or luckier on the day (in the play offs) to miss out. The other 20 could be pants.

A disappointment and a failure but not a huge failure IMO.

3 at the back ,,,,, every formation gives and takes away in different areas of the pitch , so we don’t look as solid at the back ( according to many ) we scored 3 away from home and had two penalties denied , 

very few teams go out and dominate every game let alone for 90 mins in those games , seems to me some fans will not / cannot be happy until we are doing that ,

we have to go out and win games and we are doing just that with one blip in how many ? 
im a very contented derby fan this evening ,, would I wish for even better ? Hell yes but I’m a long term derby fan and football watcher not a dreamer 

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I did sit here thinking “come on Paul, this is sky now, not the local press or club media team” as he nicknamed all of the players and made his daft comments, but that’s clearly just who he is 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I still enjoy his interviews and the fact he's not formulaic like so many others which just dull to listen to.

But then,I like his personality unlike some.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Because we're chasing so this is from the position we were in, to ending up in the autos. As I said, from here that guarantees us 97 points. Not enough for automatic last season, but would probably be enough this season.

Actually 80% of points available from here takes us to at least 99 points. On current ppg levels, 94 would be top two.  
My pedantry aside, I absolutely take your general point that we can not afford to ease off the gas when it comes to wracking up wins. 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Bringing in another keeper would be a waste of a signing when we have more urgent needs in the midfield and striking positions. Wildsmith is more than adequate for a team challenging for automatic promotion in this league but in the last few matches has become much too complacent. He needs to be put under pressure to prove he can regain his form and In the meantime, Vickers is good enough to fill the keeping role in the short term.

Exactly. Wildsmith has been off it in his last 2 games but has been consistently good since early last season. All goalies make errors or give away a penalty at some point.

Worth reminding some folk that we currently have the joint-second tightest defence in the league - how anyone can think we particularly need to improve on Joe is beyond me!