Fleetwood Away Match Thread

sage

31 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne mentioned post match on sky that Fleetwood are one of the top sides for attacking stats from set pieces, which partly drove the decision to go “big”, which I’m assuming is code for playing Bradley as part of a back 3. Ultimately it’s not cost us, wonder if it’ll be back to a 4 for the Burton game 🤔 

More shots than any other side from set pieces, but only 10th for goals from them (avering 1 every 3 games) - we top the charts in that category (13 so far)

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

More shots than any other side from set pieces, but only 10th for goals from them (avering 1 every 3 games) - we top the charts in that category (13 so far)

Think that tallies with what Warne said. Not necessarily that they’re prolific at taking their set piece chances but they create plenty of them 

25 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He nearly cost us when he came out and chested it.  He's probably about the same standard as Wildsmith.  OK with an error pending.  Could be why the defence was a bit unsure.  New goalie can make a difference in real time rather than training.

Bringing in another keeper would be a waste of a signing when we have more urgent needs in the midfield and striking positions. Wildsmith is more than adequate for a team challenging for automatic promotion in this league but in the last few matches has become much too complacent. He needs to be put under pressure to prove he can regain his form and In the meantime, Vickers is good enough to fill the keeping role in the short term.

49 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne mentioned post match on sky that Fleetwood are one of the top sides for attacking stats from set pieces, which partly drove the decision to go “big”, which I’m assuming is code for playing Bradley as part of a back 3. Ultimately it’s not cost us, wonder if it’ll be back to a 4 for the Burton game 🤔 

Potentially, as we should have more possession. Dont think he fully trusts anyone other than Nyambe at right back. 

Pleased with the 3 points, Not over pleased with our performance, There's going to be a time when we put teams to the sword, Today was easy...ish, The lions share of possession but Fleetwood could have easily been on the score sheet before we were.

Our players know where when and how to kill teams, Unfortunately it's not put into practise, Coasting the game at 2-0, Then it becomes 2-1...yep squeaky bum time...again 🙄, Got the game wrapped up with the 3rd tho☺️

January is a good time to show with the fixtures we have to put another good run together, We have the players, Have we the conviction to do so?

Only time will tell 😉

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Set up for the counter I guess. It does drive me nuts 

Me too. Scored a good 3rd goal but there was a chance when NML broke and he had no option but to shoot, even from a tight angle with defenders around him as nobody could keep up with him.

Just too defensive at times, but hey ho we got over the line.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Potentially, as we should have more possession. Dont think he fully trusts anyone other than Nyambe at right back. 

Yeah, that’s the worry. Ward has made a couple of mistakes when played there which similar to Bradley maybe doesn’t inspire confidence, Wilson has done ok the couple of times he’s played there but then we lose his threat from the final third. I’d like to see a bit of rotation for the Bradford game then really focus on the league. 

So we won, so well done - job done! It was a bit of a mehe match, though, but we ended up with just a bit too much quality for them today.  

However we were nearly undone by 3 "Warne-isms". Firstly going 3 at the back. Every time we've set up that way we've looked shaky at the back, and very time we switch to it towards the end of a match we look dodgy as well, and it has cost us - New Years Day being a case in point. There may have been a tactical reason, in that Warne was expecting an aerial bombardment, and in addition with Nymabe of to sun himself we are short at right back. But we didn't look good. Secondly playing Sonny Bradley nearly undid us, because he gave his man a free header. Even at this level, and at Fleetwood's lack of goal threat, he only needed the one chance. And thirdly for a large portion of the second half we were sat back inviting Fleetwood onto us. Whether it was Warne playing his "hold on to what we have nearly got our hands on", or Fleetwood making a formation change themselves that we didn't counter (not an impossibility, particularly the latter) I don't know. But simply hiding everyone in and around our area and just lumping the ball up field has only got one outcome, and out it came.

The introduction of Thompson made a big difference because suddenly we had someone who doesn't hide, but runs, chases and harries and wants to get the ball up the filed - just what we need to be doing. And the third goal was really well worked. I was about 90+% in the Warne Out camp before the good run, but am now miles away from that because he seemed to listen to what the fans were demanding, because he has brought football into our gameplay and we have hit good form. But his insistent traits, as we saw today, could still be our undoing. If we didn't keep going "everybody back and hold on tight" I would like to suggest that we could already be in the automatic places.

I really want to give Wilson man of the match because he had a terrific game, outshining Collins who played a blinder. interesting that he has come good just as we start playing more football! NML had a great game, with a load of tracking back in the mix as well, but for me MOM has to go to Max Bird who played really well, and had to tremendous assists.

And so to Homer Speedie. I don't need to say much because criticisms of the ref are all over this thread like a rash, instead of just in my match reports! ". Possibly 3 good penalty shouts turned down, a miniscule number of free kicks to us, and an absolute plethora to Fleetwood. Derby must be a really dirty team. I am also surprised he didn't give them at least one - they had two very clear non-shouts that have normally been given. And if Collins deserved a card for his clip of the heel on the touchline, the guy who cleaned Hourihane out late on the match should have been carded as well.

Ho hum. Never mind. We go on to the next match, and things are still looking good for us. How we'll get through the next few weeks with a right-back shortage I have no idea. I hope we can try something different to 3 at the back, because that will stymy our promotion push. But we have more than enough within the squad to drive clearly over the line.

COME ON YOU RAMS.

Any away game in any league u wont have it all ur own way. Yes we gave up too much space and possesion at times but as we have done pretty much for the last 2 months now we found a way of getting over the line .. sign of a good side that u know.

Course we all want the perfect performance but yet another 3 points on the road is the main thing 

learn to enjoy it 

Edited by NottsRam77

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Those saying that every time Bradley plays, it's a disaster, need to look at the results. Yes, he's not made the impression we expected but the only 'disaster' defensive wise in the last 11 league games has been on New Year's Day, one of the few games in that run when he stayed on the bench.

I’m looking at his displays and how it also seems to affect those around him. Yes, a win is a win…..but how many games has he played in when we have won comfortably…….. his appalling marking today for their goal a case in point …he just seems so ‘off’…..

My opinion. Sticking with it.

i want us to be better……

17 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

1.96 points per game isn't too shabby!

Bear in mind this is the division of haves and have nots where you need to be flat-track bullies to have even a whiff of going up. Last season ended up:

1 Plymouth 2.20 ppg

2 Ipswich 2.13 ppg

3 Sheff Wed 2.09 ppg

4 Barnsley 1.87 ppg

So 1.96 isn't too shabby, but is only playoff form and still some way off the automatic pace (Bolton, currently in second, are on 2.13 ppg).

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Bear in mind this is the division of haves and have nots where you need to be flat-track bullies to have even a whiff of going up. Last season ended up:

1 Plymouth 2.20 ppg

2 Ipswich 2.13 ppg

3 Sheff Wed 2.09 ppg

4 Barnsley 1.87 ppg

So 1.96 isn't too shabby, but is only playoff form and still some way off the automatic pace (Bolton, currently in second, are on 2.13 ppg).

Last season was also the first time ever for a 3rd place 3rd tier side to finish on more than 90 points.