Our Form is Stupendous

Day

It's good to see. That said, we're still only 4th, despite a very impressive run of results, and my feeling remains (for now) it's as much luck as judgement. If we establish ourselves in the top 2 that feeling needs to be revisited. 

Last season it was also a 7-horse race (ie a significant gap to 8th place) and we were the ones who bottled it and finished 7th. What a missed opportunity.

Are we bottlers? Win the next 2 against rival teams, and we start to have the look of one of the leaders rather than one of the chasing pack. This is a test as it's easier to chase. 

34 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's good to see. That said, we're still only 4th, despite a very impressive run of results, and my feeling remains (for now) it's as much luck as judgement. If we establish ourselves in the top 2 that feeling needs to be revisited. 

Last season it was also a 7-horse race (ie a significant gap to 8th place) and we were the ones who bottled it and finished 7th. What a missed opportunity.

Are we bottlers? Win the next 2 against rival teams, and we start to have the look of one of the leaders rather than one of the chasing pack. This is a test as it's easier to chase. 

If we was talking about the odd game being lucky, I may see your point.

However it’s a run of 8 games, lucky to score 18 and concede just 3 yet it’s the next 2 that would swing it? 

Look at the 10 game form someone posted earlier, even with the defeat we still top the table.

Bit unfair at this stage not to give credit where credit is due.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Boxing Day table last year at the top of the pic, Boxing Day table today at the bottom. More wins, more points, more goals. Still a long way to go but we’re doing comparatively better results wise than we were at the same time last season.

A2CCEE69-FFB0-4CDC-86AC-8267F8DEC3FA.jpeg

Last year we deserved 2 more wins at this stage, this year 2 fewer. 3rd best team on both occasions.

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We’re still only fourth, despite the recent form.

Someone had be the Christmas grinch, and it had to be me.

Just shows that the criticism earlier in the season was justified. We’ve gone on an unbelievable run and we’re 4th. Without Warne and the lads turning it around we’d be sat around 9th with 6th place our only hope.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Whoever has the best January will go up automatically.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don’t get your comment about luck rather than judgement. Surely we are where we deserve to be. If you’re saying that we’re only 4th due to some lucky results, well what if we continue to get “lucky” results and find ourselves in the top 2? Why would you revisit your opinion?

As for bottlers, I don’t think dropping points over the next two games would define us as such. It depends on how we perform over the remainder of the season and, in particular, towards the very end (a la last season).

We might have picked up a few results that weren't entirely warranted, but that applies both ways. We're where we deserve to be and coming into form at a good time, very similar to 1995/96, when a vocal minority also wanted the manager sacked in the Autumn. Undoubtedly, we'll need to have a much better January in the transfer market than last year in order to maintain the current form and force our way into the top 2, but hopefully both Warne and David Clowes have learned from last season and we'll strengthen rather than weaken the squad.

Our run of results have been stupendous and certain aspects of our game also. We've only conceded one non penalty goal in our last 8 games, Chrissy Martin's for Bristol Rovers. In fact, I'm struggling to remember the last top drawer save made by Wildsmith.

Despite our great first half yesterday, we only had a limited number of good chances and we should have put the game to bed with that dominance. 

But it's a start and Cloughie started by building his team at the back. Hopefully, with a couple of key attacking signings, we will kick on from this platform and truly dominate teams for the remainder of the season.