Our Form is Stupendous

Day

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Our results are stupendous. Our form has been patchy, but was good today (for about 75mins).

Quite frankly, if we win 90% of our games with a scrappy goal off Collins arse or NML shin then defend for 90 minutes I’ll still be happy. We are not in the league to enjoy it, the club have one aim this year and that’s to get out this league. 

19 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Quite frankly, if we win 90% of our games with a scrappy goal off Collins arse or NML shin then defend for 90 minutes I’ll still be happy. We are not in the league to enjoy it, the club have one aim this year and that’s to get out this league. 

Well quite, but let's call a spade a spade. Our last promotion was similar in truth.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well quite, but let's call a spade a spade. Our last promotion was similar in truth.

Agreed, but the issue with the last promotion was not the actual promotion but what was done with the team once they got there. 

If we played like this week in week out in the championship I’d be a little more worried but horses for courses and all that

1 minute ago, RamLad1884 said:

Agreed, but the issue with the last promotion was not the actual promotion but what was done with the team once they got there. 

If we played like this week in week out in the championship I’d be a little more worried but horses for courses and all that

Yep. I'm not making any judgement about the extent to which this team could fare in the championship. I'm just expressing a comparative view 

Personally, I'd love to see us genuinely storm a league a la Reading, but getting up through 1-0s is ok as long as we recognize and work on our limitations.

1 hour ago, David said:

If you want to complain about style of football, possession stats, xG, humour or bobble hats, go for it, however in the results business, our form since the Stevenage game is stupendous.

Played 8

Won 7

Drawn 1

Lost 0

Scored 18

Conceded 3

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 17.15.10.png

And we are still only 2 points above 7th..whose fault is that?

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We’re still only fourth, despite the recent form.

Someone had be the Christmas grinch, and it had to be me.

Not sure either part of that last line is true, in fairness.  Some threads seem to survive just fine on a sea of positivity alone. 

We may be "Only fourth", but:

A/  That's higher than our position at the start of this recent form.
B/  It's closer in both position and points difference, to the top, than it was when this recent form started., ergo, it hints heavily that we are "coming for Pompey", to paraphrase our mutual good friend.
C/  There is enough time, and enough games remaining between now and the season's end to realistically suggest we "are in with a chance of automatic promotion", should every team's "recent form" continue at the same rate. 

I'd suggest your post would have carried much more weight if the situation remained as per today's standings, but with only 3 or 4 games remaining.  We have 24 games remaining.

#Grinch Out!

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure either part of that last line is true, in fairness.  Some threads seem to survive just fine on a sea of positivity alone. 

We may be "Only fourth", but:

A/  That's higher than our position at the start of this recent form.
B/  It's closer in both position and points difference, to the top, than it was when this recent form started., ergo, it hints heavily that we are "coming for Pompey", to paraphrase our mutual good friend.
C/  There is enough time, and enough games remaining between now and the season's end to realistically suggest we "are in with a chance of automatic promotion", should every team's "recent form" continue at the same rate. 

I'd suggest your post would have carried much more weight if the situation remained as per today's standings, but with only 3 or 4 games remaining.  We have 24 games remaining.

#Grinch Out!

Spot on.  And we have a game in hand on the top 2.   And 2 out of the 3 teams above us to play at home.  I’d much rather be 4th on Boxing Day and, hopefully, top 2 in May than the other way round.

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

Didn't we have a similarly brilliant patch last season and fail to finish top 6?

That being said, recent results have been brilliant. More of the same please.

We've got more points at this stage of the season than last season. If we stick to 4 at the back and Warne does'nt switch back to 3 like last season then I would predict, we will concede the least goals in League One at the end of the season (that's providing we hang on to Cashin, even if it's a loan until the end of the season). MR WARNE PLEASE READ, LEAVE THE DEFENCE ALONE, DO NOT TINKER WITH A BACK THREE.