Wigan Athletic v Derby County

B4’s Sister

That is the 
Derby County we knew was in there, and have been waiting for!!! A tremendous away performance!

I can't fault anything about today's performance. Yes we should have added to the score, but the rub of the green did play it's part. So Collins didn't miss a sitter in the first half - the ball rebounded to him as he was already falling, and already on the goal line heading over it, yet he managed to get the ball onto the post, and redirect the rebound back into the area. Hourihane's miss in the second half was b because the ball fell for him to prod it home with his left foot just as he was using it to take the next step. Unlucky, not poor finishing, just fine margins!

Someone said that they wanted the substitutions earlier in the match because two or three players were "blown", and if it was to freshen those legs up I would agree. But they were typical Paul Warne late substitutions, and as such I wouldn't want them making any sooner than they were, simply because defending a 1 - 0 lead isn't our strong suite. However, Paul Warne demonstrated his mastery of tactics, because he was obviously sure that Wigan wouldn't threaten our goal, no matter how much territory we game them, Did they actually manage a shot on target all match?

The second half wasn't quite such a dominating performance, but Wigan were never likely to play the second half like the did in the first half, and they duly obliged. At least their manager dragged them up to being a really poor second best, but at least he got them on the same planet as Derby County! Unlike the ref, who made a balls up in the opening minute, and had clearly got a job on, one which he wasn't up to. Was he trying to outdo Rebecca Welch? If so, he missed a trick because Wigan should have had 6 or 7 yellow cards, instead of the 4 which they did have by half time. But we kept a lid on it - I feared for James Collins because he had a blow at the ref when he was fouled and the free kick went to Wigan, but he too kept his cool in the second half, so well done him!

I couldn't be happier - apart from a flirt with insisting on "channels and crosses" last Saturday, he has got the team playing football on the floor, and involving the midfield players in the middle of the pitch, and it works. Some of our player was good on the eye, and our pressing and physicality in the tackle was also good, so Wigan could never get their "play it out from the back" going for most of the match. 6 poinTs of first place with a game in hand? Brilliant! I know its not February yet, but the way Paul has got us playing, February doesn't matter, we'll take it in our stride!

COME ON YOU RAMS!

9 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

That is the 
Derby County we knew was in there, and have been waiting for!!! A tremendous away performance!

I can't fault anything about today's performance. Yes we should have added to the score, but the rub of the green did play it's part. So Collins didn't miss a sitter in the first half - the ball rebounded to him as he was already falling, and already on the goal line heading over it, yet he managed to get the ball onto the post, and redirect the rebound back into the area. Hourihane's miss in the second half was b because the ball fell for him to prod it home with his left foot just as he was using it to take the next step. Unlucky, not poor finishing, just fine margins!

Someone said that they wanted the substitutions earlier in the match because two or three players were "blown", and if it was to freshen those legs up I would agree. But they were typical Paul Warne late substitutions, and as such I wouldn't want them making any sooner than they were, simply because defending a 1 - 0 lead isn't our strong suite. However, Paul Warne demonstrated his mastery of tactics, because he was obviously sure that Wigan wouldn't threaten our goal, no matter how much territory we game them, Did they actually manage a shot on target all match?

The second half wasn't quite such a dominating performance, but Wigan were never likely to play the second half like the did in the first half, and they duly obliged. At least their manager dragged them up to being a really poor second best, but at least he got them on the same planet as Derby County! Unlike the ref, who made a balls up in the opening minute, and had clearly got a job on, one which he wasn't up to. Was he trying to outdo Rebecca Welch? If so, he missed a trick because Wigan should have had 6 or 7 yellow cards, instead of the 4 which they did have by half time. But we kept a lid on it - I feared for James Collins because he had a blow at the ref when he was fouled and the free kick went to Wigan, but he too kept his cool in the second half, so well done him!

I couldn't be happier - apart from a flirt with insisting on "channels and crosses" last Saturday, he has got the team playing football on the floor, and involving the midfield players in the middle of the pitch, and it works. Some of our player was good on the eye, and our pressing and physicality in the tackle was also good, so Wigan could never get their "play it out from the back" going for most of the match. 6 poinTs of first place with a game in hand? Brilliant! I know its not February yet, but the way Paul has got us playing, February doesn't matter, we'll take it in our stride!

COME ON YOU RAMS!

You started well “I can’t fault anything about today’performance”. 

you should have stopped there.

Make no mistake, today we were bloody excellent. As good an away performance as we’ve produced for a while and one of the best performances under Warne. Interestingly he then said in his interview with Dom “that’s us, that’s how I want our team to play” - so called Warne ball has been derided by a few on here, I thought that was very entertaining and I want to see more of it. Wigan are a decent outfit with some very good players and this was a good win. Now we have two massive games against Oxford and Posh, it will be interesting to see if we can replicate this performance in those games, we will need to in order to win them. Fingers crossed we can get the results, win them both that would be 9 wins in 10 which is just ridiculous so law of averages suggests we will drop points, would bite your hand off for 4 points from the next 2. 

Every player was excellent today, even Sonny Bradley was immense when he came on. Cant wait for the Oxford game now 

Never felt more composed than nyambe at right back he’s just a unit and cashin and Nelson at the back colossal and experienced left back in Forsyth. Today was the sign of a promotion winning team by winning games from the back. 

my only fear is they get burnt out. January is never going to be more an important window. Get 4 fresh faces in to add and we won’t be far off autos 

4 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Never felt more composed than nyambe at right back he’s just a unit and cashin and Nelson at the back colossal and experienced left back in Forsyth. Today was the sign of a promotion winning team by winning games from the back. 

my only fear is they get burnt out. January is never going to be more an important window. Get 4 fresh faces in to add and we won’t be far off autos 

Agree although easing injury worries will be a big help. Ward mistakes aside is an asset when match fit, Waggy and Washington to come back, Tommo too. And then JJ ..what will happen there I wonder ? Either way, There is a bit of depth, we just need to keep our cool