January Reinforcements

sage

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

400-500 K to bring Marriott back ?.  Averaging about 1 in 2 since going to Fleetwood.  He'll get 20 goals in this division given Collins chances.  Oxford had a 700k plus bid accepted but not completed before the window shut and we're a few months down the line.

The big question is "Has he given up Golf" !!!!!

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He can't be getting that many chances at Fleetwood.  Saw his goals and finishes at a higher level and in pressure games.  I'd take him over any forward we've got.  He had a bad spell when he was in the Sibley zone re pressured game time. With a decent midfielder providing chances, he'll get goals.  

This season, in league games only:

Marriott: 8.2 shots per goal - 5 goals from 41 shots

Collins: 6 shots per goal (9.3 in open play) - 5 goals from 30 shots (2 goals from 2 penalties)

Waghorn: 4.3 shots per goal - 6 goals from 26 shots

Washington: 2.7 shots per goal - 3 goals from 8 shots

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Collins: 6 shots per goal (9.3 in open play) - 5 goals from 30 shots (2 goals from 2 penalties)

Better than Collins then in open play and no way we can know about whether those shots were easier or harder or great saves from the keeper. I'd imagine his average for Peterborough in their relegation season and last year at Fleetwood must be good.  I've seen both him and Washington and he's a far more clever footballer, finds more space and can finish better.  Just my opinion mind. 

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Better than Collins then in open play and no way we can know about whether those shots were easier or harder or great saves from the keeper. I'd imagine his average for Peterborough in their relegation season and last year at Fleetwood must be good.  I've seen both him and Washington and he's a far more clever footballer, finds more space and can finish better.  Just my opinion mind. 

Marriott is underperforming vs his non-pen xG (0.45 per 90 vs 0.52), whilst Collins is marginally overperforming (0.33 per 90 vs 0.30)

Edited by Ghost of Clough

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Much as we butt heads over stats there are many parts of your tracking and posting of stats that I really enjoy , keep up the good work even if I do have a whinge about some of them and how some use them 😀

Edited by Archied

The upcoming January transfer window presents an opportunity for our club to make a strong push to sign Jonson Clarke-Harris from Peterborough United, potentially hijacking Bristol Rovers' pursuit of the striker. Clarke-Harris has a proven track record in League One, having scored 26 goals in 36 appearances for Peterborough last season and over 30 goals in the 2020-21 season. While he has had a slower start this season with four goals in 14 appearances, his past performance at the League One level makes him a compelling target for our club.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

The upcoming January transfer window presents an opportunity for our club to make a strong push to sign Jonson Clarke-Harris from Peterborough United, potentially hijacking Bristol Rovers' pursuit of the striker. Clarke-Harris has a proven track record in League One, having scored 26 goals in 36 appearances for Peterborough last season and over 30 goals in the 2020-21 season. While he has had a slower start this season with four goals in 14 appearances, his past performance at the League One level makes him a compelling target for our club.

Yes, because we really need another 30+ player on the books!

Getting in a striker that knows where the goal is, and understands the offside rule, is one thing, but unless they're Messi or Ronaldo and can create their own chances out of nothing then we've still got the issue of quality supply into them. Overhit crosses to Haaland are going to result in exactly the same outcome as overhit crosses to Collins.

4 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

2 ends to a pass and the same goes for a cross.   Our movement and attacking crosses is poor and makes it look like the service is much worse than it is.  

Watching both midfields last night from the South Stand - you could see that ours passed the ball sideways to the wings then had a rest . At least 2 of them should be busting a gut to get into the box like Crewe players did. Collins was the only target for crosses.

3 hours ago, Oldben said:

This is a cracking copy paste job from one your fave bookmarked websites.

On 08/11/2023 at 17:34, Magicman said:

We need 2 players minimum a mobile striker and bulldog midfielder . 

Would it have been worth keeping Bielik instead of selling him for peanuts? I know he doesn't want league one football for international reasons, but I'd not really give a toss about that if he was under contract to us. He'd solve a massive problem for us at the moment.

I know that it's likely his wages that was the reason we got rid, I just wish we hadn't.