January Reinforcements

sage

Need to get a lot of things right in this upcoming transfer window because this squad does not look like they can play the way the manager want. Must go one way to save our season either reshuffle the squad or change manager. If we continue with the only pattern of play which at least I can detect and get it wide to cross it then maybe a striker able to win headers as well as an box-to-box midfielder might come in handy.  

14 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Requirement must have beards and be ex Rotherham 

I really don’t get the lazy digs like this and the age thing that people make. If you’ve got an observation based around our recruitment that’s backed up by fact, or even just that you want to share your opinion then crack on, but of the 11 (12 including Embleton) signings we made in the summer only 2 are former Rotherham players under Warne.
16% of the signings he made in the summer, it’s hardly an entire squad of former Rotherham players. It’s inaccurate, and if it’s meant as a joke, it’s not a funny one.

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I really don’t get the lazy digs like this and the age thing that people make. If you’ve got an observation based around our recruitment that’s backed up by fact, or even just that you want to share your opinion then crack on, but of the 11 (12 including Embleton) signings we made in the summer only 2 are former Rotherham players under Warne.
16% of the signings he made in the summer, it’s hardly an entire squad of former Rotherham players. It’s inaccurate, and if it’s meant as a joke, it’s not a funny one.

Its funny to me especially beards like Nelson, Bradley, Washington, Ward, Elder all got them.

3 minutes ago, dantheram said:

The elephant  in the room here is, do you really want Warne to have a war chest? 

nah, no thanks. 

What's confusing is who has the real authority at the club over transfers/recruitment is it Paul Warne or Mark Thomas especially if there is an impasse.

What happens if Mark Thomas finds a project player that's available in January (probably more so in the summer) which in 2/3 years could be a profitable asset but not necessarily a player that makes an instant impact (had that reputation at Oxford) but Warne prefers a short term fix because the heat is on him.

31 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

What's confusing is who has the real authority at the club over transfers/recruitment is it Paul Warne or Mark Thomas especially if there is an impasse.

What happens if Mark Thomas finds a project player that's available in January (probably more so in the summer) which in 2/3 years could be a profitable asset but not necessarily a player that makes an instant impact (had that reputation at Oxford) but Warne prefers a short term fix because the heat is on him.

In simple terms, Warne tells Thomas what type of player he wants, Thomas provides Warne with a list of players, Warne says yes or no, Warne/Pearce convince player to join and offer him a contract. There may also be instances where Warne already has a player in mind, or Forsyth recommends a friend to join.

Harsh to single a player out like this but my first order of business would be firing Collins into the f****** sun.

Dajaune Brown may well be an insurance salesman in five years time but I’d rather see him get minutes than Collins.

Would love Bird to stay and sign up long term - if not, I think we’ll have a tricky time finding the right balance in midfield but we at least have a lot of options. There is apparently a human being called Elliott Embleton at the club? Could he feature eventually?

I’m resigned to Cashin going, I’d personally be happy if there was a decent bid for Sibley too

Ideal situation is John-Jules comes back to fitness sharpish, is the striker we’re missing and extends until the end of the season. On paper, he’s exactly what we need, young, talented and going to be available for free in the summer

In reality, I think we’ll need to go all out for a goalscorer. Goals are what’s missing and I’d say an Ince type, a goal scoring winger that Waghorn/Washington can facilitate, could solve the issue equally well as a number nine

Looking at it, there’s a lot more that needs doing than you’d like in January but it suits us in a way - we’ll be 18 months into life in League One and (potentially) over 12 months into life with Warne but the squad still doesn’t make sense, it needs another shuffle

I'm surprised RD haven't already asked Warne if Bird, Cashin or Sibley have a year's option on their current contracts similar to Knight this summer.

It seems we're all resigned to them leaving for free/compensation if not sold in January. 

Players wise for January, that Baker Richardson yesterday for Crewe seemed to give our backline many problems. From a basic eye he seems to be in a similar playing mould to Clarke Harris. 

Edited by Ram@Lincoln

14 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I'm surprised RD haven't already asked Warne if Bird, Cashin or Sibley have a year's option on their current contracts similar to Knight this summer.

It seems we're all resigned to them leaving for free/compensation if not sold in January. 

Radio derby only ask pre agreed questions . The club won't want this issue discussed whilst there is adverse noise in the fan base ..  more bad news could turn the atmosphere even more toxic. 

A few wins is what's needed in November,  then the pill of losing Bird & Cashin will be sweeter when we get "affordable replacements"  

Out of interest who do you think may come in with an acceptable bid for Sibley ? He has hardly set the team on fire for a good while now . 

Edited by bucktwo

13 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Players wise for January, that Baker Richardson yesterday for Crewe seemed to give our backline many problems. From a basic eye he seems to be in a similar playing mould to Clarke Harris. 

He had a good game. Worked hard and aggressive.

If we are after a big man with pace in behind a decent shout might be Isaac Olaofe at Stockport. Beast of a man with  pace and strand really hitting the goals this year. Only 23 years old and might not be a huge fee.

2 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Radio derby only ask pre agreed questions . The club won't want this issue discussed whilst there is adverse noise in the fan base ..  more bad news could turn the atmosphere even more toxic. 

A few wins is what's needed in November,  then the pill of losing Bird & Cashin will be sweeter when we get "affordable replacements"  

Out of interest who do you think may come in with an acceptable bid for Sibley ? He has hardly set the team on fire for a good while now . 

Someone who doesn't see him as a fullback? Set the team on fire from fullback? A good while whilst injured?

Sibs needs out of here unfortunately for us.

23 hours ago, dantheram said:

The elephant  in the room here is, do you really want Warne to have a war chest? 

nah, no thanks. 

I wouldn't trust Warne with recruitment. He openly admitted to not liking transfer windows when at Rotherham, he said the recruitment team hated him because they went to him with good players and he would refuse them.

It's all well and food nit picking and trying to identify the right targets, but if you are saying no to the likes of Alfie May and Waghorn based on ego and then signing John Jules who is made of bolser wood and glass, then I have no faith.  Thankfully someone twisted his arm with Waghorn.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I wouldn't trust Warne with recruitment. He openly admitted to not liking transfer windows when at Rotherham, he said the recruitment team hated him because they went to him with good players and he would refuse them.

It's all well and food nit picking and trying to identify the right targets, but if you are saying no to the likes of Alfie May and Waghorn based on ego and then signing John Jules who is made of bolser wood and glass, then I have no faith.  Thankfully someone twisted his arm with Waghorn.

Obviously new signings haven't been great, however Warne is going to be dabbling in some way for a number of transfer windows, January and beyond. Considering we could potentially lose a couple of first team regulars, there needs to be significant improvement on the recruitment front.