January Reinforcements

sage

Squad changes will largely depend on the primary formation Warne opts to use for the 2nd half of the season. I hope we stick with 4231, as I feel it offers the greatest balance, so I'll base my suggestions on that.

Extensions: Nyambe

Out: Embleton, John-Jules, Collins, Thompson (loan)

In: Demitri Mitchell (LW, LWB next season - Exeter), Callum Guy (CM - Carlisle), Dan Kemp (AM - MK Dons, loan at Swindon) Callum Marshall (CF - West Ham)

Other CMs to monitor - El Mizouni (Ipswich, loan at Leyton Orient), Oliver Arblaster (Sheff Utd, loan at Port Vale), Nohan Kenneh (Hibs, loan at Shrewsbury), Alfie Devine (AM - Spurs, loan at Port Vale)

43 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Are we definite that there isn't any extension options on Cashin, Bird and anyone else's expiring contracts?

We had confirmation from Warne on RD around this time on Knight's extension to retain his value. 

Should have kept him for what we got.   With his appearances at International and championship level would have been much the same in compo I'd expect.

Never found out if we got anything from our Palace "friends" after their 30k piss take offer for Ebeowei.

6 hours ago, valakari said:

I hear that Arblaster gets alot of people saying how good he is..

Also, we should have signed Alfie May and Jordan Rhodes...that would have made the difference in Top 2 or not imo

Arblaster is a fantastic all rounder. Up there with the best in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if Sheff Utd move him on to another club in January, either a side chasing promotion in L1 or a lower side in the Championship. Saying that, he's only contracted until the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Arsblaster is a fantastic all rounder. Up there with the best in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if Sheff Utd move him on to another club in January, either a side chasing promotion in L1 or a lower side in the Championship. Saying that, he's only contracted until the end of the season.

Sounds like the kind of player to power us up the league. Surely we trump Port Vale as a potential loan club.

If Cash leaves, I’d be looking at a young CB to fill his place. The team now lacks that inexperience that made us exciting in previous seasons. Most of the squad is 25+. I’d be looking at players in the 19-22 range who will improve the starting 11 and the team as a whole 

9 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

If Cash leaves, I’d be looking at a young CB to fill his place. The team now lacks that inexperience that made us exciting in previous seasons. Most of the squad is 25+. I’d be looking at players in the 19-22 range who will improve the starting 11 and the team as a whole 

I expect Warne will target the 22-26 age band.

CB depends on if 3 or 4 at the backand if Nyambe stays. 3 at the back would mean we need a LCB (unless Nelson moved across) and RCB if Nyambe leaves, whilst 4 at the back would mean cover for Nelson on the right (Bradley and Forsyth covering the left)

I would have a look at ejaria (spelling) at reading. Can play anywhere across a front 3. Creative. Skillful. Pace. Assists. Goals.

Currently out-of favour there massively due to "attitude" however a few reading fans seem to think thats not the whole truth and some sort of contract trigger or payment trigger is forcing reading not to play him and they are throwing him under the bus.

Loan deal with view to a permanent?

Yes please.

We have to use January as a means to continue our transition from the squad Warne inherited (with a number of players not suited to his style of play) to a squad full of players who can play the way he wants. Numbers wise, and ignoring injuries, we're currently in a good place, so it will be a case of 1 out and 1 in. Based on 4231, the players loosely fall into the following positions (bold = currently due to leave before next season):

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
RB: Ward, Nyambe
RCB: Nelson, Rooney
LCB: Cashin, Bradley
LB: Forsyth, Elder
RCM: Smith, Fornah
LCM: Hourihane, Thompson
AM: Bird, Sibley
RW: Mendez-Laing, Wilson
LW: Barkhuizen, John-Jules
CF: Waghorn, Washington, Collins

You would hope the players Warne has given 2+ year deals to would still be part of his plans for next season whether promoted or not. To assist with the transition, and not leave it all until the summer, I would therefore group the players in bold in the following categories:
1. Extend deals: Wildsmith, Nyambe, Cashin, Bird, Sibley
2. Keep until the end of the season: Loach, Forsyth (potentially group 1), Smith, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Waghorn
3. Move on in January if possible: Hourihane, Thompson (loan + extend contract), Collins
4. Move on in January regardless: John-Jules

To maintain squad depth, we would therefore be looking at signing the following positions in January: CM, CM (or AM if Bird is played deeper), LW, CF
In the summer, we would therefore be looking to recruit any of those positions if filled by loans, plus: GK, LB, RW, LW, CF 

Cashing in on the likes of Cashin or Bird would also mean directly replacing them too.

I think even though I love him, might be best for all parties that Sibley moves on, he’s not had 2 good games in a row for 3 seasons now. I’d also get rid of Collins if we had better striker in the door. 

I also would look at Jodi Jones from notes county, can play left back, left wing back and left wing. He’s 26 and creates a lot of chances. Has looked a decent player at league one level in the past and I think his career is back on track at the moment.

A striker id be tempted to take a chance on is Jonathan Afolabi. He’s 23 years old with lots of pace and power aswell as an eye for goal. He was very highly rated as a youngster for Celtic and Ireland u21s and has now got himself settled in senior football. After a slow start at bohemians in Ireland he’s now got 17 goals in his last 29 games. He’s been in and around the Ireland senior team recently and is out of contract now with the Irish season coming to a close. 

3 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Rooney at RCB is an option plus Bradley & Foz can cover LCB. 

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Squad changes will largely depend on the primary formation Warne opts to use for the 2nd half of the season. I hope we stick with 4231, as I feel it offers the greatest balance, so I'll base my suggestions on that.

Extensions: Nyambe

Out: Embleton, John-Jules, Collins, Thompson (loan)

In: Demitri Mitchell (LW, LWB next season - Exeter), Callum Guy (CM - Carlisle), Dan Kemp (AM - MK Dons, loan at Swindon) Callum Marshall (CF - West Ham)

Other CMs to monitor - El Mizouni (Ipswich, loan at Leyton Orient), Oliver Arblaster (Sheff Utd, loan at Port Vale), Nohan Kenneh (Hibs, loan at Shrewsbury), Alfie Devine (AM - Spurs, loan at Port Vale)

Why send Thompson out on loan 🤔 He was beginning to look like the midfielder we desperately need 😊

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We have to use January as a means to continue our transition from the squad Warne inherited (with a number of players not suited to his style of play) to a squad full of players who can play the way he wants. Numbers wise, and ignoring injuries, we're currently in a good place, so it will be a case of 1 out and 1 in. Based on 4231, the players loosely fall into the following positions (bold = currently due to leave before next season):

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
RB: Ward, Nyambe
RCB: Nelson, Rooney
LCB: Cashin, Bradley
LB: Forsyth, Elder
RCM: Smith, Fornah
LCM: Hourihane, Thompson
AM: Bird, Sibley
RW: Mendez-Laing, Wilson
LW: Barkhuizen, John-Jules
CF: Waghorn, Washington, Collins

You would hope the players Warne has given 2+ year deals to would still be part of his plans for next season whether promoted or not. To assist with the transition, and not leave it all until the summer, I would therefore group the players in bold in the following categories:
1. Extend deals: Wildsmith, Nyambe, Cashin, Bird, Sibley
2. Keep until the end of the season: Loach, Forsyth (potentially group 1), Smith, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Waghorn
3. Move on in January if possible: Hourihane, Thompson (loan + extend contract), Collins
4. Move on in January regardless: John-Jules

To maintain squad depth, we would therefore be looking at signing the following positions in January: CM, CM (or AM if Bird is played deeper), LW, CF
In the summer, we would therefore be looking to recruit any of those positions if filled by loans, plus: GK, LB, RW, LW, CF 

Cashing in on the likes of Cashin or Bird would also mean directly replacing them too.

Would be nice to get a bigger midfielder. Heard good things about Mark O’Hara at St Mirren.

Don’t know what type of fee he would command.