January Reinforcements

sage

16 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

No idea Roy I was just being sarcastic really about the fact that we probably cannot now make signings from a 4th division club for the sort of fee that we would have paid in the early 1970's

It's not a fact though, is it? It's not that we can't, or even that we won't. We remain under an enforced business plan that was part of our punishment for entering administration. That's the issue. 

FWIW, £200k might actually be doable, but the £1.5 million fees, that some have lost their minds over last window, almost certainly never were.

48 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Probably been said already but Joshua Onoma would be a good signing. He was training with Stoke in August but no contract announced.

6 month deal seems like a no-lose situation given his pedigree.

Whilst I think he would be an improvement on Smith (and Fornah), he lacks end product. Bird has more goals in his last 2 games than Onomah has in his last 3 seasons.

Quite a few players at Championship clubs not getting much game time. A few of the better (and younger) options being:

LCB - if Cashin leaves
Caleb Taylor - 20 years old, West Brom

Left wing back - if 3/5 at the back
Sam McCallum - 23 years old, Norwich (out of contract in the summer)
Nathanael Ogbeta - 22 years old, Swansea (out of contract in the summer)

Wingers - assuming 4231
Wanya Marçal - 21 years old, Leicester 
Borja Sainz - 22 years old, Norwich
Malik Wilks - 24 years old, Sheff Weds 

Forward
Reyes Cleary - 19 years old, West Brom (out of contract in the summer)

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Quite a few players at Championship clubs not getting much game time. A few of the better (and younger) options being:

LCB - if Cashin leaves

Wingers - assuming 4231

Forward

Is Cleary a possibility?

I think he’s been mentioned on here before. He is certainly in the right mould.

I think a young, quick forward would partner well with one of our experienced forwards.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

LCB - if Cashin leaves

Wingers - assuming 4231

Forward

I’m not currently informed enough on the best options but like you’re thinking on this one GoC. Picking up young talent, those with contracts expiring in the summer that “could” be more of a bargain, so we strengthen both for this season but also next and beyond.

Wondering who (if anyone) is performing well in this league and league two who may fit that bill and represent a shrewd investment. 🤔 

I’ll have to do a bit of my own research 

30 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Nathan Frazer from wolves u21s wouldn't be a bad shout for a loan. 

18 year old powerfully built striker, who scores with both feet and headers, being quite dominant in the air.

The type of player that we need.

Is he better than Brown?

36 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

An 18 year old on loan is no more what we need than any more 30+ players. Anyway we saw how good Wolves U21's are didn't we? 

An 18 year old who is ready to be a regular starter in L1 is fine and improve our squad is fine. 20 year olds who aren't ready (such as Springett) is the type of player we need to stay clear of. I'd snap your hand off if offered 18 year old Callum Marshall on loan - 16 goals and 2 assists in 10 games is a level above anyone we have right now.

On 23/11/2023 at 11:36, Ghost of Clough said:

Whilst I think he would be an improvement on Smith (and Fornah), he lacks end product. Bird has more goals in his last 2 games than Onomah has in his last 3 seasons.

I see what you mean but at least he's 26, a free agent, has played at a higher level, and could have resale value. 

It looks like he's been in the doldrums the last 3 seasons. he could get back on track in L1 if he's  motivated. also we have possibly 14 players leaving.

I'd swap Smith for him and haven't even seen him play!

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

An 18 year old who is ready to be a regular starter in L1 is fine and improve our squad is fine. 20 year olds who aren't ready (such as Springett) is the type of player we need to stay clear of. I'd snap your hand off if offered 18 year old Callum Marshall on loan - 16 goals and 2 assists in 10 games is a level above anyone we have right now.

How do you distinguish the two types- is it just physical traits that should transcend the level being played at? 

Springett, in fairness, had 3 PL apps, I think that constitutes some sort of pedigree for a youngster, but then I agree he looked very lightweight (did well at Port Vale (A) though). Marshall doesn't but does have 3 international appearances which is similar.

Loans always seem like a bit of a gamble, Mason Mount-esque loans excluded, so is it not the case that often you don't really know whether they'll sink or swim until they're out on loan and thrown in the deep end?

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

LCB - if Cashin leaves

Wingers - assuming 4231

Forward

Unpronounceable names..,.. clearly the wrong sorts!

Maybe Sam has a chance.....