January Reinforcements

sage

2 hours ago, bucktwo said:

Radio derby only ask pre agreed questions . The club won't want this issue discussed whilst there is adverse noise in the fan base ..  more bad news could turn the atmosphere even more toxic. 

A few wins is what's needed in November,  then the pill of losing Bird & Cashin will be sweeter when we get "affordable replacements"  

Out of interest who do you think may come in with an acceptable bid for Sibley ? He has hardly set the team on fire for a good while now . 

If played centrally behind a striker he produces the goods. One of the few players who actually looks to take on a player and isn't afraid to shoot from range. I'm not saying a large fee will come in for him, but if a club could pick him up for £250k or similar, I'd say that's a very astute transfer for them for a player still with high potential.

Due to the management at the club, he will never flourish here or get the support needed to enable this. It will be asset protection. We need to nuture our young players, look at Morgan Whitaker. He was bombed out then flourished when given the chance and a set up that caters to his strengths. Likewise with Jakobsen at Preston and Archie Brown in Belgium via Switzerland. 

On 05/11/2023 at 20:13, InstaRam said:

Need to get a lot of things right in this upcoming transfer window because this squad does not look like they can play the way the manager want. Must go one way to save our season either reshuffle the squad or change manager. If we continue with the only pattern of play which at least I can detect and get it wide to cross it then maybe a striker able to win headers as well as an box-to-box midfielder might come in handy.  

He's brought in about 11 of them, so that's something of an issue.  Can't see they'll be pushing the boat out as the core of this team is his and we have a chairman whose spent 50 million on a League 1 club and will expect it to be self financing on the whole with -in his finance execs own words- fees being used for the day to day fabric of running the club.  If we get a few million in January we'll only get the excess of the clubs breakeven cost for the season to use on transfers/wages. 

I'd like to see money freed up to bring in another good striking option.  I reckon that Bird, Sibley, Hourihane, Bradley and Elder are probably the top earners at the club.  Bird will be gone, Sibley will be gone.  We can try and get someone to take Elder who is the new Lee Morris and Bradley who is the new Dave Walton on loan.  We can also let go of Loach surely.  Paying someone a wage who will never play in goal, barring a catastrophe, when money was that tight that we lost out on two attacking options, one last minute, seems ridiculous.  Probably a good character and that but we're not Man City who can pay Carson a million quid a year to get a decade of splinters.

13 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

There is apparently a human being called Elliott Embleton at the club? Could he feature eventually?

13 hours ago, Magicman said:

Sell Cashin, Sibley & Collins - return Embleton & JJ ( unless he gets 5 or 6 games in next 2 months ) 

Embleton is already back with his club. Has been for some time, due to the seriousness of his injury. He won't be getting game time for Derby.

5 hours ago, Magicman said:

Yes but my point is we bring players in on loan who were previously injured for ages then get injured again with us .

It's almost like the recruitment analysts don't actually look at the previous history of the player.

If I'm buying a car, I'm wanting to know about the service history, has it been a write off at any time, any known mechanical faults or manufacturer recalls. You then build up a image of the cars reliability to your needs and circumstance. If there's loads of advisories on the MOT and failed multiple times with recurring problems then I'm staying well clear.

John Jules has barely played at any of his loans and always picked up long term injuries. Embleton hadn't played in 18 months or whatever it was. If they were cars, there's no chance I'm going anywhere near them.

17 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

It's almost like the recruitment analysts don't actually look at the previous history of the player.

If I'm buying a car, I'm wanting to know about the service history, has it been a write off at any time, any known mechanical faults or manufacturer recalls. You then build up a image of the cars reliability to your needs and circumstance. If there's loads of advisories on the MOT and failed multiple times with recurring problems then I'm staying well clear.

John Jules has barely played at any of his loans and always picked up long term injuries. Embleton hadn't played in 18 months or whatever it was. If they were cars, there's no chance I'm going anywhere near them.

They're also likely the reasons they were available to loan at this level, and not higher...

TJJ without his injury record would be on-loan a league or 2 above, he's extremely highly-rated, the only downside being his inability to stay fit for extended periods. Similarly, Embleton is well-rated in the league above, Sunderland still want him in and around their first team. He came here to build up fitness and unfortunately got injured, it happens.

They were risks (one still has time to come good), but I think they were very much 'bonus' signings where we accepted the risk of exactly this happening, for the potential reward of a luxury player at this level. I don't think we were ignorant to their fitness records.

35 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Yes but your buying a Ford with the previous service history of been very good, but your then offered an Aston Martin on the cheap, which has a chequered service history so do you take the risk? Derby did.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

They're also likely the reasons they were available to loan at this level, and not higher...

TJJ without his injury record would be on-loan a league or 2 above, he's extremely highly-rated, the only downside being his inability to stay fit for extended periods. Similarly, Embleton is well-rated in the league above, Sunderland still want him in and around their first team. He came here to build up fitness and unfortunately got injured, it happens.

They were risks (one still has time to come good), but I think they were very much 'bonus' signings where we accepted the risk of exactly this happening, for the potential reward of a luxury player at this level. I don't think we were ignorant to their fitness records.

Totally agree there that they wouldn't have been available if their records were better. However, we aren't in a position to gamble good money on players with very dodgy injury records. If we had the loose change after completing the squad then fair enough. We all seem to agree that we're missing a reliable and clinical striker, Embleton and John Jules are neither, like you say they are bonus signings.

It's like taking the car to fill up on fuel, forgetting the petrol and just coming out with a kitkat from below the checkout. It's a bonus buy, but not actually the thing we need.

2 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Yes but your buying a Ford with the previous service history of been very good, but your then offered an Aston Martin on the cheap, which has a chequered service history so do you take the risk? Derby did.

Great analogy. Absolutely not. It'll be high expense, riddled with many problems that you can't see. It's cheap for a reason. I'll take the reliable Ford knowing it'll get me to work and back, not sat with the bonnet up on the side of the motorway looking like a fool.

2 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Great analogy. Absolutely not. It'll be high expense, riddled with many problems that you can't see. It's cheap for a reason. I'll take the reliable Ford knowing it'll get me to work and back, not sat with the bonnet up on the side of the motorway looking like a fool.

Totally agree except at the time I did think the John Jules signing was worth the risk, only time will tell, but so far it’s been a big failure 

6 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

It's like taking the car to fill up on fuel, forgetting the petrol and just coming out with a kitkat from below the checkout. It's a bonus buy, but not actually the thing we need.

Yeah I agree with this, brings me back to my big question which is: what was the thinking behind the summer recruitment? For me, we signed quite a lot of depth, without the key players that would really progress us (as you point out). I'd love some clarity on this as I'd say it doesn't make much sense from the outside. 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yeah I agree with this, brings me back to my big question which is: what was the thinking behind the summer recruitment? For me, we signed quite a lot of depth, without the key players that would really progress us (as you point out). I'd love some clarity on this as I'd say it doesn't make much sense from the outside. 

I never quite understood why we signed 2 x RWB in Ward and Wilson who neither could really fill the RB slot but then never signed a LWB, only Elder who is a LB? Certainly the striker roll is the main missing link and I presume Warne thought Washington and Waghorn would be suffice in league 1?

31 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I never quite understood why we signed 2 x RWB in Ward and Wilson who neither could really fill the RB slot but then never signed a LWB, only Elder who is a LB? Certainly the striker roll is the main missing link and I presume Warne thought Washington and Waghorn would be suffice in league 1?

Warne thought Elder would be a good player at LWB, with Wilson providing cover. He also thought Waghorn, Washington, Collins and John-Jules would be enough at CF. The CF position puzzled me, as he wants to play a high pressing game, but also wanted Sharp or Rhodes.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Back in 1979, I was offered a Triumph Stag, known for their problems, or I could buy my mother's 4 year Ford that had been trouble free from new. I went for the safe option buying the Ford...................................................and had nothing but problems and breakdowns with it. I always regretted taking the safe option. Nothing is certain in life.