Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

We all want Louie to do well becuase we all want all our players to do well. Football in some respects is easy. All Louie has to do is perform at a high enough level no matter what position he plays and he will become a regular starter. That isnt asking too much its just what he needs to do but as yet hasn't. 

First and formost for me he has to improve his ball retention and passing. He loses the ball or gives it away far too easily when in possession. He isn't blessed with much pace which means protecting the ball and knowing when to pass are so important. Basically I dont see a player who is going to take the team forwards as I thinkwe have others who are better.

I hope Im completely wrong but its not what I see. 

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We all want Louie to do well becuase we all want all our players to do well. Football in some respects is easy. All Louie has to do is perform at a high enough level no matter what position he plays and he will become a regular starter. That isnt asking too much its just what he needs to do but as yet hasn't. 

First and formost for me he has to improve his ball retention and passing. He loses the ball or gives it away far too easily when in possession. He isn't blessed with much pace which means protecting the ball and knowing when to pass are so important. Basically I dont see a player who is going to take the team forwards as I thinkwe have others who are better.

And this right here is the crux of everyone's argument. Judge him the same way other players get judged. Who seemingly get to play out a bad performance and still start the next game, often for many games in a row. They don't have to score or assist to keep their place when Sibley does.

Someone mentioned Bradley earlier in this thread and it was a decent comparison. He was atrocious at the start of the season. Up there with one of the worst defenders I can remember. Yet he's played a couple of competent games now because he's been allowed to and suddenly people are anointing him - and this isn't a knock on Bradley, this is just the fact he's allowed to play through a bad game to then show he can play. Hourihane... regularly bad. Collins... regularly bad. Smith.... regularly bad. List goes on, and this is just this past season or so. 

Just seems like players come in, be below average and that's fine, they keep playing until they show some worth. Sibley gets judged on a whole different scale by absolutely everyone. I think the days have gone where we thought we had a world beater on our hands, don't get me wrong, but a player who can score like he can from midfield positions could be worth their weight in gold at these levels... so let's find out what we have once and for all and stop bombing him out after a bad 45 minutes.

21 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Fair comment, my good sir! Because this thread has been running since October, I hadn't read back from the beginning, so your original starter had slipped my mind!

Also: to the critics of Louie who keep referring to a succession of managers not giving him a decent run; he was actually brought into the 1st team by Cocu, who did give him room to express himself, hence the excitement at the time. The next manager was Rooney who throttled the flamboyance out of him. It may have been to get his fiery nature under control, but I suspect there was more. Maybe Rooney saw him as a number 10, but was also very keen on Max Bird, who had the potential to play the Number 10 role, so maybe Rooney was trying to create room for Max at Sibley's expense, even though he used Bird at CDM. Admittedly this is conjecture as I try to come up with a reason why Rooney would effectively break the lad. And then there is Paul Warne, who has done little more than prat him about.

So Sibley has only had 3 first team managers to contend with, one who blooded him, one who had personal issues and one who doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of what is available to him.

And yes, that last statement might mean that I had better go and get myself a tin hat. Hey ho! 

Rooney humiliated a young kid in public, if you have issues with a worker you rollock him in private behind closed doors, mud often sticks and Liam followed Rooney in not giving Louie much of a chance, when Warne took over, plenty of staff are still at the club from Rooney days, and who knows what was said to Warne.

Sadly Cocu arrived at Derby at the wrong time, with all our problems, and wonder what Louie would have achieved under him with his record with young players at Feyenoord academy he brought through into the first team.

50 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Totally agree with your first paragraph. Not so sure about the 2nd

35 minutes ago, Srg said:

Someone mentioned Bradley earlier in this thread and it was a decent comparison. He was atrocious at the start of the season. Up there with one of the worst defenders I can remember. Yet he's played a couple of competent games now because he's been allowed to and suddenly people are anointing him - and this isn't a knock on Bradley, this is just the fact he's allowed to play through a bad game to then show he can play. Hourihane... regularly bad. Collins... regularly bad. Smith.... regularly bad. List goes on, and this is just this past season or so. 

Agreed 😏

image.thumb.png.fcd1bfabe5e489d004a6476901fe71c0.png

image.png

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Agreed 😏

image.thumb.png.fcd1bfabe5e489d004a6476901fe71c0.png

image.png

I still don’t subscribe to him having been anymore than competent… but you’re kinda proving the point that if he can do it and fans can go with it, why not Sibley?

Just now, Srg said:

I still don’t subscribe to him having been anymore than competent… but you’re kinda proving the point that if he can do it and fans can go with it, why not Sibley?

That's what I was agreeing with haha, it's a stance I always try to take- said the same with Elder after his errors, just needed time to get fit and readjust.

Same way I'm not going to bash Gayle if he doesn't instantly hit the ground running, as he may take some time. I think there's obvious differences between a dearth of talent, and rustiness/lack of form. Judging players early just gives them plenty of time to prove the dissenters wrong, ultimately. 

I like Sibley and want him to do well, but there aren't many formations where he gets in my starting 11. Maybe in a midfield 3 with Adams and Bird, but there is plenty of competition there with Fornah, Hourihane, Smith and Thompson. I liked him as a left wing back in the second half against Cheltenham. He gave the ball away a fair bit, but he was on the front front driving at the defence so I don't mind that. 

It's true that he doesn't really get an extended run in his best position which is number ten/inside left for me. However each time he does well and is given a start in the next game he fails to nail down his place.  

If I was picking a Derby team to play for my life he'd be a sub.

5 hours ago, S6 boy said:

I like Sibley and want him to do well, but there aren't many formations where he gets in my starting 11. Maybe in a midfield 3 with Adams and Bird, but there is plenty of competition there with Fornah, Hourihane, Smith and Thompson. I liked him as a left wing back in the second half against Cheltenham. He gave the ball away a fair bit, but he was on the front front driving at the defence so I don't mind that. 

It's true that he doesn't really get an extended run in his best position which is number ten/inside left for me. However each time he does well and is given a start in the next game he fails to nail down his place.  

If I was picking a Derby team to play for my life he'd be a sub.

Even when he scores or provides an assist, he still gets busted off. "All we are saying, is give him a chance", to quote a rather famous person.

9 minutes ago, Jram said:

Not the Top 20 podcast briefly questioned why Sibley hasn’t kicked on since being the star of Derby’s “fabled 2019 youth team”. 

I don’t think Sibbo has been offered a new contract ( could be wrong ) . He will have to pick his next manager really well , if he hasn’t already . Hope he is not another Morgan Whitaker- a player that flourishes away from DCFC. 

On 23/02/2024 at 20:15, jimtastic56 said:

I don’t think Sibbo has been offered a new contract ( could be wrong ) . He will have to pick his next manager really well , if he hasn’t already . Hope he is not another Morgan Whitaker- a player that flourishes away from DCFC. 

Yes I hope he goes to another club and really struggles too.