Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

39 minutes ago, sage said:

Tbf @angieram picking Ward was the action of someone who had watched the game. Sibley would have been the easy and not unreasonable pick, whereas Ward was the correct pick.

I'm not disputing it on this occasion, just explaining why some of the picks seem a bit random to those of us at the games.

I think LWB is the ideal position for him.  Having played at LB for a fair chunk of last season I thought he’d be a good LWB for this.  He already had the attacking side of his game and I think Warne and his team did a good job working on the defensive side last season.

I find him a frustrating player when he’s in midfield.  He’s too inconsistent and doesn’t seem to grab hold of the game.  Also, I think at LWB he has a bit more space as he’s not marked as tightly.  That gives him more time and space to create or, as he did yesterday, drift into the box to shoot.

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Think the true test of Sibley at LWB will come against better teams. 

But 343 as opposed to 352 is the way to go for me. May as well go down or up hopefully swinging.

Also if we have 3 central defenders and Adam’s on the pitch then that’s 4 solid defenders who should be able to carry the bulk of the defensive responsibility. 

Next weekend should be a better test. But well done Sibs for yesterdays performance.

I think that’s a key point.  We now have someone who can screen and protect the back 3 a bit more. This allows us to play more attack minded wingbacks such as Sibley and Ward as they can focus a bit more on the attacking side knowing there’s cover to slow down the opposition attacks, giving them time to get back.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

And that's a brilliant asset for a wing back to have! 

Re MOTM, don't one of the sponsors pick it? I don't think there's a lot of thought goes into it. Half of them don't even go out to watch the game! 🤷‍♀️

Im pretty sure Shaun Barker picks it now or whoever is summarising for Rams TV. 

3 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

It's not Barker's call.

It's the match day sponsors who choose the MotM, and after the game the player, in this case Ward, comes into the Toyota hospitality suite to be interviewed by McFarland, Davies & Wilson, then have photographs with the sponsors.

I know because I was there.

Barker's pick which is sponsored would be an odd coincidence if Barker picked the same player as someone else every game

It is definitely Barker's call - was confirmed as much in Warne's post match interview. It used to be sponsors but they were awful whereas Barker tends to get it spot on, yesterday included

2 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I think LWB is the ideal position for him.  Having played at LB for a fair chunk of last season I thought he’d be a good LWB for this.  He already had the attacking side of his game and I think Warne and his team did a good job working on the defensive side last season.

I find him a frustrating player when he’s in midfield.  He’s too inconsistent and doesn’t seem to grab hold of the game.  Also, I think at LWB he has a bit more space as he’s not marked as tightly.  That gives him more time and space to create or, as he did yesterday, drift into the box to shoot.

If he does have to defend though he is not so good. His strengths are in opposition half.

I am hoping fozzy comes in and locks up the LHS to the end of the season.

8 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I was mystified today has to how Sibs didn’t get MOM🤔 yes Wardy had a very good game but any better than Sibley and did he score 2 goals? If a striker scores 2 goals he would almost certainly get MOM🤷🏿‍♀️ I’m still confused.com 

I think it was a really, really close call, given that normally it is the goal scorer who gets the prize. But I was watching Ward closely, and he literally covered every blade of grass, appearing on the left, probably as cover for when Sibs went marauding,  he was in the middle of the pitch ( the confused look was because he didn't know where the map for midfield had gone!), and around both penalty areas. I had wondered if it was a confidence booster, because Ward could easily spend the rest of the season with those two penalty fouls hanging round his neck like a millstone. I'm probably miles out with that one, because Sibs needs a pat on the back and an arm around his shoulder to help him cope with his haphazard treatment this season in particular. But it is why I thought the prize should have gone to Ward, and was happy when it was announced.

Edited by DavesaRam

6 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Agree. My biggest issue with Sibley has been a heavy touch & inability to protect the ball well enough...two traits which really limit his ability to play in what many would deem his favoured number 10 position. By contrast at LWB, he is coming onto the ball so touch isn't quite as vital as if he were surrounded by defenders & he still gets plenty of opportunities to join the attack (both in counter attack & when we're dominating territory and possession). As you rightly say, his defensive work has improved a lot since start of last season.

Although yesterday wasn't the sternest test, I thought the balance of the entire team looked good & that this formation could work equally well home or away. Sibley & Ward can be potent attacking weapons when we're making the running in games and our front 3 are well marshalled but are solid enough defensively to turn us into an effective 5-2-3 if we're under the pump & punish teams on the counter. My biggest criticism of previous iterations has been the use of Nyambe & Elder at wingback who offered little to no cutting edge going forward.

If Warne is adamant about keeping 3 at the back, I reckon he should keep with this first XI to build cohesion & partnerships around the field for these last 10 games. I'd love this to be the spell Sibley finally clicks again (leading to a contract extension), there is definitely a player there & it would be sad for him to depart with his peak being his first 10 games in 2020.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

17 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Sibley shoots and usually on target which is a rare commodity 

29 shots this season, 17 on target this season, career totals 167/57, so better this season than his career average, but not quite "usually". Even so, it's pretty good for a midfield player who's played allot in wide positions - Hourihane, for example, has a fairly similar record for shooting accuracy over his career of 1 in 3 having mostly played as a CM.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, I know now as several people have told me above. I don't know when it changed. 

To the best of my knowledge, Barks has been doing it ever since he took on the pundit role. Can't remember who did it before that.

I think this thread title needs turning into a matchday chant.

Sibbers too good.  (Der, Der, Der, Der).
Gooder than a rainproof hood.
Gooder than anyone,
Anyone who's also good.

He's stuck on the wing,
Hanging on to what we sing
He'll tear you apart
Unless he's on the bench again.

Just need to sort a tune out for it, (Where to start! 🤷‍♂️) and it's ready to go live!

What do others think?