Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

Think the true test of Sibley at LWB will come against better teams. 

But 343 as opposed to 352 is the way to go for me. May as well go down or up hopefully swinging.

Also if we have 3 central defenders and Adam’s on the pitch then that’s 4 solid defenders who should be able to carry the bulk of the defensive responsibility. 

Next weekend should be a better test. But well done Sibs for yesterdays performance.

Edited by TomTom92

52 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think he does some things well but he doesn't offer the team a consistent contribution in any other position than left wing back in my opinion.

And I know we'll get the argument that he's never been given a run of games in any position, but it's a chicken and egg situation. He needs to grab the opportunities he has been given and make himself undroppable, and I'd argue that the only time he's done that is when he plays at left wing back.

Should we let him go this Summer then ? Perhaps sign another 30 + year old player to replace him ? 

36 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Should we let him go this Summer then ? Perhaps sign another 30 + year old player to replace him ? 

No. I think we should play him at left wing back.

If we don't then why keep him, if we have better in every other position?

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think he does some things well but he doesn't offer the team a consistent contribution in any other position than left wing back in my opinion.

And I know we'll get the argument that he's never been given a run of games in any position, but it's a chicken and egg situation. He needs to grab the opportunities he has been given and make himself undroppable, and I'd argue that the only time he's done that is when he plays at left wing back.

I know. I think the question of whether and how to use Sibley - if at all - is one of the hardest conundrums facing our manager. End of last season his starts ultimately proved a mistake (but I think playing close to Didzy is probably hard unless telepathy is your thing).

Tbh Warne has used him more frequently than I thought he would, I was thinking he might be sold cheaply in Jan. There are players who read a game and find their best was to impose themselves.  I don’t think he does that well at all so he’s often underwhelming esp when in midfield 

37 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I was mystified today has to how Sibs didn’t get MOM🤔 yes Wardy had a very good game but any better than Sibley and did he score 2 goals? If a striker scores 2 goals he would almost certainly get MOM🤷🏿‍♀️ I’m still confused.com 

My take on it is the creative and defensive efforts of Ward probably pipped Sibley for motm. Sibley scored 2 from Ward crosses, Barkhuizen cleared the bar from a Ward cross, Ward’s turn and pass into the channel found Barkhuizen who’s touch finds Adams to cross for the Gayle header for the second. There was also one lovely interception and driving run that led to Barkhuizen then losing possession for them to get in behind with the cross Nelson cut out, Ward’s part in that passage of play was great…we just turned the ball over attempting to counter 🤦🏻‍♂️

He was a creative outlet and did his job defensively so probably got it on that basis in my view. And that’s not a criticism of Sibley who I also thought was very very good yesterday, just my thoughts on why Ward was man of the match. 

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My take on it is the creative and defensive efforts of Ward probably pipped Sibley for motm. Sibley scored 2 from Ward crosses, Barkhuizen cleared the bar from a Ward cross, Ward’s turn and pass into the channel found Barkhuizen who’s touch finds Adams to cross for the Gayle header for the second. There was also one lovely interception and driving run that led to Barkhuizen then losing possession for them to get in behind with the cross Nelson cut out, Ward’s part in that passage of play was great…we just turned the ball over attempting to counter 🤦🏻‍♂️

He was a creative outlet and did his job defensively so probably got it on that basis in my view. And that’s not a criticism of Sibley who I also thought was very very good yesterday, just my thoughts on why Ward was man of the match. 

I take your point Caerphilly but you still won’t convince me that Ward should get MOM over Sibs. Ward had a great game tho and if we persist with 3 at the back (which I’m sure he will do) then for me that’s your 2 wing backs every week, so much more attacking intent and Sibley probably still the best finisher at the club

4 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I take your point Caerphilly but you still won’t convince me that Ward should get MOM over Sibs. Ward had a great game tho and if we persist with 3 at the back (which I’m sure he will do) then for me that’s your 2 wing backs every week, so much more attacking intent and Sibley probably still the best finisher at the club

And that's a brilliant asset for a wing back to have! 

Re MOTM, don't one of the sponsors pick it? I don't think there's a lot of thought goes into it. Half of them don't even go out to watch the game! 🤷‍♀️

Sibley is, and always has been, one of the only players we have who can score from out of nothing. Doesnt seem to matter where he plays, he’s liable to get a goal somehow. That’s a serious asset. He was very good yesterday, including defensively. Made some good tackles. 

Please start next week and don’t get subbed after 45mins. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Re MOTM, don't one of the sponsors pick it? I don't think there's a lot of thought goes into it. Half of them don't even go out to watch the game! 🤷‍♀️

Barker picked Ward on ramstv then the stadium announced it shortly after, could it be he makes the official call? Or is that coincidence? 

13 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

It’s not a bad problem to have is it? With everyone fit, Ward or Wilson down the right when playing wing backs, Sibley or Elder/Foz down the left. Then if we play a back 4 we’ve got the more robust Nyambe for rb and Elder/Foz for lb.

I think both deserve to keep the shirt for next week, however it’ll definitely be a sterner test for them! 

Sibley will only look better when he is surrounded by higher calibre players in tactical systems that suit him, he has shown he can do it at higher levels. Remember when we played Man Utd in the cup and he terrorised McTominay, always been a fan and dissapointed with how he is utilised under the current tactical style.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think it is Barker's call

It's not Barker's call.

It's the match day sponsors who choose the MotM, and after the game the player, in this case Ward, comes into the Toyota hospitality suite to be interviewed by McFarland, Davies & Wilson, then have photographs with the sponsors.

I know because I was there.

I still say Sibley get's judged to a higher standard than others.  For me he's been ok this season - whatever division we end up in I'd offer him a contract - maybe not the wages he's on if he's a top earner (I don't know) but I can't see how he's done worse than most of Warne's signings and he's done significantly better than say Bradley who plays every game now. 

I’ve always thought that Sibs would be better accepting that his place in the team under PW is mostly that of LWB, rather than his coveted AM role. It would give him a good run in the team which to be fair, if he’s on his way in summer brings him to the attention of potential suitors (who may see his goal contributions more favourably). Or he earns a new contract here in Summer. FWIW I think he’ll be gone at the end of the season, whichever division we’re in.

40 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

It's not Barker's call.

It's the match day sponsors who choose the MotM, and after the game the player, in this case Ward, comes into the Toyota hospitality suite to be interviewed by McFarland, Davies & Wilson, then have photographs with the sponsors.

I know because I was there.

Thanks. I agree from occasions when I've been there.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Tbf @angieram picking Ward was the action of someone who had watched the game. Sibley would have been the easy and not unreasonable pick, whereas Ward was the correct pick.