Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

I think that he's the best left wing back at the club. I don't think that he's in the top two in any other position. 

If Paul Warne decides to go with 3 centre halves and the two best wing backs, in ward and Sibley, from now on, I think that our home performances and results will improve, but our away performances may suffer.

I guess you pays your money, you takes your choice.

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think that he's the best left wing back at the club. I don't think that he's in the top two in any other position. 

If Paul Warne decides to go with 3 centre halves and the two best wing backs, in ward and Sibley, from now on, I think that our home performances and results will improve, but our away performances may suffer.

I guess you pays your money, you takes your choice.

I say Louie is our best attacking central midfielder. But he's never given the opportunity to show it.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

He’s had plenty of starts after good sub appearances. Today was the first time he’s taken his chance.

Back to back starts at CM/AM twice this season. An assist the first time and a goal the 2nd time.

4 games in a row at the end of last season in an unfamiliar 'AM' role which was more of a supporting striker role (in a 3421). Prior to that he had 2 goals the previous time he had back to back starts (2 games), and only 1 other spell of back to back starts in his best position under Warne (3 games).

Back to back starts at AM once under Rosenior, NEVER under Rooney.

4 goals and 2 assists in the 6 games at AM in 19/20 under Cocu.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

He’s had plenty of starts after good sub appearances. Today was the first time he’s taken his chance.

Was good against Barnsley.  Their centre half wasn't keen on coming out when Sibley was pressing.  We looked ragged and he had ten yards around him when he came off. 

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

"Don't get too carried away - Port Vale are dreadful".

Isn't that how it goes?? 🤨

He does divide opinion somewhat 😂

It's an interesting one as back in his academy days, when it was much easier to catch games live, I watched every game I could and that was a good generation amongst whom, he looked the comfortable standout. He literally scored for fun. He's never looked quick, but he was utterly unerring in front of goal. and we all predicted huge things. Fair to say that things haven't since gone according to plan and he's now struggled to convince a good few coaches that he's worth a regular starting berth, but what I really like about his recent endeavours is that he's now putting in really good shifts wherever he's asked to play. I think he has to start the next game and if he can now add consistency to his goal contributions, he can silence his doubters once and for all. FWIW, I still believe in him and I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat. 

15 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I went to Barnsley nobody was good😀

In particular their CH. He may be good at heading and lumping the ball forward but not so good in open play. That’s why Derby were content to let him have the ball.

Sibley had a good game yesterday (and not just for scoring “two” goals) but let’s not pretend he is the new messiah 

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

In particular their CH. He may be good at heading and lumping the ball forward but not so good in open play. That’s why Derby were content to let him have the ball.

Sibley had a good game yesterday (and not just for scoring “two” goals) but let’s not pretend he is the new messiah 

But at least he’s no longer a very naughty boy!

21 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

He does divide opinion somewhat 😂

It's an interesting one as back in his academy days, when it was much easier to catch games live, I watched every game I could and that was a good generation amongst whom, he looked the comfortable standout. He literally scored for fun. He's never looked quick, but he was utterly unerring in front of goal. and we all predicted huge things. Fair to say that things haven't since gone according to plan and he's now struggled to convince a good few coaches that he's worth a regular starting berth, but what I really like about his recent endeavours is that he's now putting in really good shifts wherever he's asked to play. I think he has to start the next game and if he can now add consistency to his goal contributions, he can silence his doubters once and for all. FWIW, I still believe in him and I'd re-sign him in a heartbeat. 

I agree. My post was more a comment on how the fact we only beat Port Vale is prominent in some posts on the match and Warne threads but is completely absent from this thread when it comes to assessing the relative merits of the performance under discussion.

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

But at least he’s no longer a very naughty boy!

I get the joke of course but there is a serious side. Every time Sibley plays, the chap sitting next to me makes some comment about how long it will be before he is booked. I have to keep reminding him that Sibley has matured a lot since his bad old days and is no more likely to get booked than any other player.

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I agree. My post was more a comment on how the fact we only beat Port Vale is prominent in some posts on the match and Warne threads but is completely absent from this thread when it comes to assessing the relative merits of the performance under discussion.

No I got that buddy! Sorry, the rambling bit was a general observation really, not related to your post. Probably should have made that clearer. He's just a player who has frustrated me over the last few seasons and I still don't really know what to expect from him, so it was musing, nothing more.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

In front of goal he’s got poise and killer instinct   

I think he does some things well but he doesn't offer the team a consistent contribution in any other position than left wing back in my opinion.

And I know we'll get the argument that he's never been given a run of games in any position, but it's a chicken and egg situation. He needs to grab the opportunities he has been given and make himself undroppable, and I'd argue that the only time he's done that is when he plays at left wing back.

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Most shots, joint most shots on target, 3rd most key passes, and best pass success out of all starters. A very good offensive game from LWB but wasn't tested much defensively on this occasion.

The lad has talent and to quote PW earlier in the season "he has the best shots in training", Players I guess just want to play, Players in the main want their own position, LS is a rare bread he's able to play in several positions and un/fortunately this is PWs wish and LS downfall, Where LS is concerned is who we play and what formation PW deploys.

If we are promoted I expect a new contract, If we stay in this division I expect him to be moved on 🤷‍♂️