Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

25 minutes ago, Jram said:

Not heard anything about Sibley being offered a contract 🤔 same for Thompson 

Pretty sure they’re both up in 2024. Be surprised if we didn’t offer them terms 

I’d like to see them both retained as part of the squad, I think it’s important we still have some of the academy graduates from the last few years with Bird now following Knight out the door. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’d like to see them both retained as part of the squad, I think it’s important we still have some of the academy graduates from the last few years with Bird now following Knight out the door. 

Yeah and I still think they can be really good championship players. Both only 22. Would be silly to allow them to leave. Exactly the sort of players we would want the club to sign ie young with some pedigree and lots of potential 

It's tricky because I don't think they want to pay him the high wage he is on now, particularly if we don't get promoted.

However I think if we don't offer the same terms, he can leave on a free. I think that's how it works.

24 minutes ago, sage said:

It's tricky because I don't think they want to pay him the high wage he is on now, particularly if we don't get promoted.

However I think if we don't offer the same terms, he can leave on a free. I think that's how it works.

Presume we could offer him a lower wage deal and take the risk that he won’t get a better offer anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Presume we could offer him a lower wage deal and take the risk that he won’t get a better offer anywhere else.

Yes. The quandary is...if we offer the same terms and he goes elsewhere we get compo, maybe £1m, whereas if we offer less he can go for free.

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes. The quandary is...if we offer the same terms and he goes elsewhere we get compo, maybe £1m, whereas if we offer less he can go for free.

What's he on at the moment?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

What's he on at the moment?

I'd imagine around £10k pw. He got given a new contract in the championship, when we were more flush and on the back of early promise.

2 hours ago, sage said:

I'd imagine around £10k pw. He got given a new contract in the championship, when we were more flush and on the back of early promise.

September 2020. I question whether even mad-Mel would have given a just-turned 19 year-old, however promising and noting the reported interest of other clubs, a £10k/week contract, though Salary Sporty does have him down for £8k/week so even if it was that, I can see why they might not be able to match it.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@Carl Sagan is this the angle you were waiting for? 

Given one of my criticisms of Sibley (I like him by the way) I’m not totally convinced he wasn’t trying to control it. 

… but the avoidance of doubt, that’s supposed to be a joke, but seriously it is an area I think he needs work on. If he could control it quicker and shield it better, we’d have a heck of a player.

Maybe their focus was Cashin and Bird and, now they’re resolved, they’ll focus on Sibs and Tommo

I do vaguely remember Warne discussing it very early in the season and was surprised to hear him say something like “sibs knows that if he performs we can have that conversation” (re a contract) and will be shocked if they don’t try and re-sign him. Like I said previously, excellent player still full of potential even if he hasn’t reached the level of Cash and Bird 

13 hours ago, sage said:

10 or even 8 is too much.  If he is offered a new two year contract at 6k, I don't other clubs would top that at this stage in his career.

While Warne is here, good technical footballers will be offsky..eg, Knight & Bird.

Hourihane has already said he is off, and i wouldn't be surprised if Sibley and Thompson don't leave too.

Warne likes speedsters, athletes & hard men...technical players just get by passed on the whole.

Shame, but this is why we play awful football and worry more about the opposition.

That said, if he gets us up, fair play, but i won't watch his style of football in the championship...because it won't work!