Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

Personally think he is best utilised as a sub when the game is more open. He may have the most contributions stats wise however this doesn't tell the same story as watching the game. Unfortunately he isn't involved within the game as an attacking player for me and therefore sometimes it's like playing with a player less.

I remember him breaking through and thought he was going to be the next big thing, still may be, his love for the club is clear, his desire is also there wherever he puts on the shirt is never on doubt. 

However he hasn't been able to hold down a regular place under several managers, he hasn't got people knocking down the door to take him to their club and therefore is at a crossroads of his career in the summer. Hopefully for him, wherever he ends up, he can kick on with his career but a change may be what is needed.

Used in just about every role but his preferred one and never given a run except for those 15 games at left back last season. I wish people would refrain from stating the obvious and look for the reasons. Playing a different position every game does not help a young lad develop. That is what has happened to Sibs. If PW isn't intending to give him a job to do and a run of games at it, he'll be better off going somewhere where they'll give him what DCFC hasn't. Possibly his own fault for being "utility".

3 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Used in just about every role but his preferred one and never given a run except for those 15 games at left back last season. I wish people would refrain from stating the obvious and look for the reasons. Playing a different position every game does not help a young lad develop. That is what has happened to Sibs. If PW isn't intending to give him a job to do and a run of games at it, he'll be better off going somewhere where they'll give him what DCFC hasn't. Possibly his own fault for being "utility".

Imo that's not an excuse for him. He has been used in various roles because under several managers he has not been deemed good enough in them attacking ones. Adams has come in, taken him 3 game's to show he is the best suited for that role, whereas Sibley hasn't and others perform better in that position.

As I said, my opinion, but rumours has it he has been offered around and we had no takers, come summer on a freebie, he should have them jumping for his signature if he is that good.

16 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Imo that's not an excuse for him. He has been used in various roles because under several managers he has not been deemed good enough in them attacking ones. Adams has come in, taken him 3 game's to show he is the best suited for that role, whereas Sibley hasn't and others perform better in that position.

As I said, my opinion, but rumours has it he has been offered around and we had no takers, come summer on a freebie, he should have them jumping for his signature if he is that good.

We, and he, will never know until he gets a run in a settled role. Adams? He's playing the role for us he has everywhere else so, IMO, the comparison can't be made...

Plus, Adams came here as a seasoned professional. Sibs came from our U18s and, as a kid, needs to get a run in a single role to progress. Never given the run which is why he hasn't reached his potential.

Edited by MadAmster

4 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

In what world have Sibley and Adams played the same role? They're completely different players and have been asked to do completely different things. You're adding 2 and 2 and making 5.

There's multiple problems afoot with Sibley, but fundamentally, he's fell in a trap we've had before with some players where if they score or assist then happen to keep the shirt, they're then hauled off at half time the next game if they've not done it again. Meanwhile, average performances that are no better than his start weekly. Only chance he's had to be in the team for any length of time was at left back, and we had a really solid defence during that period against all odds. 

We could compare him to Knight as someone who got used in many positions, but Knight had better attributes to do so - quicker, better engine, better tackler, just to name three. But, to no one's surprise, he's gone to Bristol and been used in the position we were banging on about for years and he's unlocked that next level we knew he had.

Unfortunately for Louie, he's probably going to have to leave and I have no doubt he will do alright when a team let's him be him for a bit.

22 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Playing a different position every game does not help a young lad develop

Doesn't help them develop a set role I agree, but it does help them develop their all round game. You learn an awful  lot from playing multiple positions. IMO we're lucky to have a classic "utility" man like Sibley - they are rare these days. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

In what world have Sibley and Adams played the same role? They're completely different players and have been asked to do completely different things. You're adding 2 and 2 and making 5.

There's multiple problems afoot with Sibley, but fundamentally, he's fell in a trap we've had before with some players where if they score or assist then happen to keep the shirt, they're then hauled off at half time the next game if they've not done it again. Meanwhile, average performances that are no better than his start weekly. Only chance he's had to be in the team for any length of time was at left back, and we had a really solid defence during that period against all odds. 

We could compare him to Knight as someone who got used in many positions, but Knight had better attributes to do so - quicker, better engine, better tackler, just to name three. But, to no one's surprise, he's gone to Bristol and been used in the position we were banging on about for years and he's unlocked that next level we knew he had.

Unfortunately for Louie, he's probably going to have to leave and I have no doubt he will do alright when a team let's him be him for a bit.

In what world did I say they did 😳 I was pointing out that it doesn't take a number of games to show that shirt is yours. As I followed up with, others have taken the role Sibley plays in.

Compare him to who you want, blame PW for holding him back (ignoring the other managers of course), however as I said in my OPINION, he hasn't progressed and is best used as an impact sub.

I think he will do alright, I think though he will probably be another Mason Bennett though, hope I'm wrong.

11 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

We, and he, will never know until he gets a run in a settled role. Adams? He's playing the role for us he has everywhere else so, IMO, the comparison can't be made...

Apologies, the point I was making is that you don't need a run of games to prove the shirt is yours. I think Sibley over the years under various different managers, has had plenty of opportunities in his favoured role, if it takes him 45 minutes to get into a game, that's a luxury you can't afford imo.

5 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

In what world did I say they did 😳 I was pointing out that it doesn't take a number of games to show that shirt is yours. As I followed up with, others have taken the role Sibley plays in.

Compare him to who you want, blame PW for holding him back (ignoring the other managers of course), however as I said in my OPINION, he hasn't progressed and is best used as an impact sub.

I think he will do alright, I think though he will probably be another Mason Bennett though, hope I'm wrong.

So when has Sibley had 3 games in his preferred position? Genuine question, it must have happened, but I don't remember it.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

So when has Sibley had 3 games in his preferred position? Genuine question, it must have happened, but I don't remember it.

I can't remember yesterday, let alone something like that.

I believe Stevange away and ones prior to that he was played in an advanced position. (Only because someone mentioned it at weekend, so it may or may not be true)

4 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

So for those he rate him and feel he's been hard done by, what level of player do you feel we'd be looking at if he had a proper run of games in his best position? Because if he's as good as some of you seem to think, he should be standing out as way too good for League One.

Max Bird didn't stand out as way too good for League One until Adams came in, neither did Jason Knight last season.

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

I can't remember yesterday, let alone something like that.

I believe Stevange away and ones prior to that he was played in an advanced position. (Only because someone mentioned it at weekend, so it may or may not be true)

The trouble is (and this is a generalisation rather than specific to Stevenage away) but that was a honking team performance and when they crop up, it seems to be him who gets hooked at half time or him who gets dropped the next game.

I don’t think he is totally blameless, there must be a reason he is easy to drop and it’s not just Warne but a few managers before him, but he seems to have to do so much more to a) stay on the pitch and then b) retain his place than so many others who are allowed a run of bad games. It worked out on Saturday but ignoring having the benefit of hindsight to know for sure, he only got 10 minutes in a game we literally didn’t have a shot in anger in until the 75th minute. 

Could having adams as mop up crew help sibs play his game in midfield better? just like it has done with Sibs? I believe sibleys best games are when he had Shinnie or Beilek behind him who do a similar job to adams

2 hours ago, David said:

His career progression, or lack of it, has been frustrating. When you look at total minutes on the pitch in competitive first team football for us, compared to Jason Knight and Max Bird who are all similar ages, you have to ask why.

Sibley 7962 

Knight 12,148

Bird 14,695 

The lad has unquestionable potential, still relatively young at just 22, he's fallen victim of failing to nail down a position in the team and used to plug gaps as Jason Knight did, however unlike Knight he's not really proving his worth when given the brief opportunities all over the pitch.

Not everyone will have the workrate of Jason Knight, can't hold that against him, but we see these cameos, rewarded with a start and he's just flat. Not the player we know he can be. 

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 12.19.14.png

Sibley needs to ask some serious questions of Warne and ask where exactly does he fit in this team for his own career. 

What is his position and what is his role, I wouldn't even get to the point of talking about wages and length of contract unless he's given an answer which he feels is honest and can see a future at the club.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk. 

His mates Knight and Bird down Bristol, he's the only one left and that must feel like being the kid at school being left till last to be picked. I bet you he values himself as good, if not better than those two and it will sting.

This image says it all for me. His flexibility and will to play wherever asked - and lets be honest, do at least decent job at all of them - is proving to be a little bit of a negative.

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

So for those he rate him and feel he's been hard done by, what level of player do you feel we'd be looking at if he had a proper run of games in his best position? Because if he's as good as some of you seem to think, he should be standing out as way too good for League One.

Great squad player to have around but he as had numerous managers at Derby and he as impressed none of them to warrant a run in the team,yes there is a argument about playing in different positions for sure however in all the games i have seen him play i never thought he was the stand out player,far from it

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Kane Wilson dob 11 March 2000

Louie Sibley dob 13 September 2001

Ty Fornah dob 11 September 1999

Max Bird dob 18 September 2000

Give up now Louie, your career is over.

While I'm enjoying your point, I don't think anyone has remotely suggested his career is over...

2 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Apologies, the point I was making is that you don't need a run of games to prove the shirt is yours. I think Sibley over the years under various different managers, has had plenty of opportunities in his favoured role, if it takes him 45 minutes to get into a game, that's a luxury you can't afford imo.

And yet we offer this scenario to Barkhuizen time and time again.

39 minutes ago, angieram said:

And yet we offer this scenario to Barkhuizen time and time again.

Was CBT not brought in to replace him as a starter. For me, he is still ahead of Sibley, but regardless I'm sure he has obeen dropped from the starting line up and it seems has been identified as a player we can improve on.

13 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Think if we have Sibley and adams in starting line up we'll be down to 9 men by half time. The card stats are ridiculous 🤣

Sibley - 160 appearances, 31 yellows, 1 red... less than one yellow every 5 appearances. Seems fine. I don't know where Sibley has got this reputation for being a liability.
Adams - 234 appearances, 74 yellows, 6 reds. Quite a few reds, but to be expected for a CDM. A yellow every 3ish games.