Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Said it before. In a wider ranging midfield role Sibley can look good on the ball but is too often awol because he doesn’t take up the right positions, whether we’re in or out of possession.  So when we’re in possession he doesn’t get the ball and when we’re out of position he flies around chasing the ball and often conceding fouls. But stick him on the wing and it’s easier for him to be in the right place his role is clearer and more obvious (just to pick a word), so it suits him better. The other place he tends to find good positions is in the oppo’s box 

Most of our midfielders do as required by the manager - ie Hourihane made that quite clear. Sibley plays as required by the manager, he's never had a long (ie more than 3!) games in a midfield role, how on earth can he learn the position at this level. He adjusted to being fullback well enough, perhaps he could be allowed to adjust to being a goal-scoring midfielder? He's younger than Wilson btw, where will he end up under Warne?

Edited by RoyMac5

10 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Don’t get me started on use of English. The number of posters who write “must of, could of”, instead of  “have” or “they was good, or We was rubbish” instead of “were”. Grrrr.

I blame a lot of it on the pronunciation used by politicians, sports stars, singers and other "celebrities". I see a lot of "are house", "are dog", "are country" wordings on "social" media. I blame all those celebrities for their incorrect pronunciation of the word OUR.

11 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Another decent performance from Louie today, he’s making that LWB berth his own 

I thought he was ok. No more. Slightly better crosses than Ward and had to defend more. Struggled in that regard last 20 mins.

I'll be interested to see everyone's ratings because do you adjust or not to the very poor team we were playing.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Most of our midfielders do as required by the manager - ie Hourihane made that quite clear. Sibley plays as required by the manager, he's never had a long (ie more than 3!) games in a midfield role, how on earth can he learn the position at this level. He adjusted to being fullback well enough, perhaps he could be allowed to adjust to being a goal-scoring midfielder? He's younger than Wilson btw, where will he end up under Warne?

Warne isn’t the only manager not to utilise Sibley consistently in what many of us see as his “preferred” position, he is however one of the only managers who has used Sibley consistently in general. He plays, he gets minutes, some from the start and some from the bench. He’s clearly had some support from the coaching staff to learn a new position and improve his defensive game. So credit to Sibley AND Warne for that, his “utility” role within the squad is proving useful even if it means he’s not playing where he and/or we would prefer. 
I suspect almost all Derby fans would love Sibley to realise that potential and become our new iconic attacking midfielder, for now I’m gonna concentrate on praising him for doing well in an adapted role and continuing to improve his all round game. As you say, he’s young, still plenty of time for him in his career…ideally with a ram on his chest.

1 hour ago, sage said:

I thought he was ok. No more. Slightly better crosses than Ward and had to defend more. Struggled in that regard last 20 mins.

I'll be interested to see everyone's ratings because do you adjust or not to the very poor team we were playing.

3 wins from their last 4 before yesterday. They defended very well 1st half and our 1st half tally of 4 shots with 0 on target was more down to them than to us. They started the 2nd half on the front foot which gave us more room up top. Goal from a dead ball situation for our first meant they had to come on even more. Great breakaway for the 2nd and another for the 3rd. They had as much possession 2nd half (66%) as we'd had in the first but, apart from the Marquis header, didn't look like scoring. Over the 90 minutes we attacked and defended very well.

It's all about opinions and ours differ on this.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

3 wins from their last 4 before yesterday. They defended very well 1st half and our 1st half tally of 4 shots with 0 on target was more down to them than to us. They started the 2nd half on the front foot which gave us more room up top. Goal from a dead ball situation for our first meant they had to come on even more. Great breakaway for the 2nd and another for the 3rd. They had as much possession 2nd half (66%) as we'd had in the first but, apart from the Marquis header, didn't look like scoring. Over the 90 minutes we attacked and defended very well.

It's all about opinions and ours differ on this.

I would agree that they attacked more second half, especially after we scored, and subsequently left themselves open to the counter.

I did think they start the game quote openly and in the first 10 minutes we found acres of space down the side of their CBs then they shut up shop.

My view would be that they had several out and any team that leaves themselves so open when they attack is poor.

As with everything on here, it's all opinion 

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I blame a lot of it on the pronunciation used by politicians, sports stars, singers and other "celebrities". I see a lot of "are house", "are dog", "are country" wordings on "social" media. I blame all those celebrities for their incorrect pronunciation of the word OUR.

Gi’ ova, pair on ya! 😆

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

LWB wastes his best asset which is his goal-scoring ability. He’s a midfielder or front man, he could easily do CBTs role. His deadball ability and crossing is better than we’ve seen from many in the squad.

I love Sibley as much as anyone, but he couldn’t do CBT’s role. Sibley runs in treacle, which is frankly why he hasn’t hit the heights we thought he might when he broke through. 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

I love Sibley as much as anyone, but he couldn’t do CBT’s role. Sibley runs in treacle, which is frankly why he hasn’t hit the heights we thought he might when he broke through. 

He didn't look like you suggest yesterday - he's not had lots of opportunity to show how he can play forward. After all who'd have thought he'd make a fullback. He hasn't hit the 'heights' because the club has sunk like a stone. He's all of 22? How old is Wilson etc. He's nowhere near the finished article but even so looks a threat when played other than as a defensive player.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't look like you suggest yesterday - he's not had lots of opportunity to show how he can play forward. After all who'd have thought he'd make a fullback. He hasn't hit the 'heights' because the club has sunk like a stone. He's all of 22? How old is Wilson etc. He's nowhere near the finished article but even so looks a threat when played other than as a defensive player.

You’re Sib’s girlfriend and I claim my £5!