Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

6 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

Think if we have Sibley and adams in starting line up we'll be down to 9 men by half time. The card stats are ridiculous 🤣

Have you watched Derby recently? Just how many red cards has Sibley had? If I recall correctly, it is just tone one, which was rescinded because the player he was supposed to have hospitalised was actually trapping Sibley's foot between his legs to make it look like Sibbers had kicked out. Oh, and while you are looking, check his current card count. It is pretty darned low, because he has calmed down tremendously over the last couple of seasons.

Adams is more likely to get carded because he has a more aggressive, combative style of play, and was maybe somewhat enthusiastic during his first couple of games, but may have settled down now.

4 hours ago, Returning ram said:

In what world did I say they did 😳 I was pointing out that it doesn't take a number of games to show that shirt is yours. As I followed up with, others have taken the role Sibley plays in.

Compare him to who you want, blame PW for holding him back (ignoring the other managers of course), however as I said in my OPINION, he hasn't progressed and is best used as an impact sub.

I think he will do alright, I think though he will probably be another Mason Bennett though, hope I'm wrong.

Yes, but even when he has scored, and in one match he scored two, he has ended up on the bench or dumped right out of the squad for the next match. How can you "make the shirt your own" when the boss keeps ripping it off your back?

42 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes, but even when he has scored, and in one match he scored two, he has ended up on the bench or dumped right out of the squad for the next match. How can you "make the shirt your own" when the boss keeps ripping it off your back?

When was he dumped right out of the squad?

4 hours ago, Returning ram said:

I can't remember yesterday, let alone something like that.

I believe Stevange away and ones prior to that he was played in an advanced position. (Only because someone mentioned it at weekend, so it may or may not be true)

Good Grief! Stevenage away!!! When we totally ignored midfield and simply hoofed the ball, thinking that if you kick the ball higher than the opposition it will get you the win. That was one of the matches when the fans turned on Paul Warne prior to the start of the good run. So how on earth can Sibley stake his claim to the AM role when the rest of the team were under instruction to not give the ball to him?

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

The trouble is (and this is a generalisation rather than specific to Stevenage away) but that was a honking team performance and when they crop up, it seems to be him who gets hooked at half time or him who gets dropped the next game.

I don’t think he is totally blameless, there must be a reason he is easy to drop and it’s not just Warne but a few managers before him, but he seems to have to do so much more to a) stay on the pitch and then b) retain his place than so many others who are allowed a run of bad games. It worked out on Saturday but ignoring having the benefit of hindsight to know for sure, he only got 10 minutes in a game we literally didn’t have a shot in anger in until the 75th minute. 

The previous manager who started the rot was Wayne Rooney, who stifled the lad, let alone just mess him about. Because of the lack of a decent run in a stable position Sibley isn't so much failing to reach his potential, more that he is taking time to overcome the damage done to him. Curiously Warne put himself across as a people person, yet a little bit of the tender care would almost certainly have got the lad going again, yet the personal touch seems conspicuous by its absence. Ringo Star knew this was going to happen when he released "All we are saying, is give him a chance"!

12 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The previous manager who started the rot was Wayne Rooney, who stifled the lad, let alone just mess him about. Because of the lack of a decent run in a stable position Sibley isn't so much failing to reach his potential, more that he is taking time to overcome the damage done to him. Curiously Warne put himself across as a people person, yet a little bit of the tender care would almost certainly have got the lad going again, yet the personal touch seems conspicuous by its absence. Ringo Star knew this was going to happen when he released "All we are saying, is give him a chance"!

Classic Dave, jumping on the Sibley bandwagon after he scores a goal. If you really liked him you'd have said something sooner... 😆

40 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Good Grief! Stevenage away!!! When we totally ignored midfield and simply hoofed the ball, thinking that if you kick the ball higher than the opposition it will get you the win. That was one of the matches when the fans turned on Paul Warne prior to the start of the good run. So how on earth can Sibley stake his claim to the AM role when the rest of the team were under instruction to not give the ball to him?

You seem to have jumped over a post without reading the previous message, I'd suggest you do that first 👍

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

We all know you are his No 1 fan and as such not necessary accurate in your assessments. Sibley has had no end of chances to establish himself in the side but he just does not take them when they occur. We all hope he can at some stage - but until then he needs to keep contributing in whatever role he is given.

45 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

We all know you are his No 1 fan and as such not necessary accurate in your assessments. Sibley has had no end of chances to establish himself in the side but he just does not take them when they occur. We all hope he can at some stage - but until then he needs to keep contributing in whatever role he is given.

While Hourihane and Barkhuisen keep getting opportunities thrown at them by the bucket load.

Actually, as this sort of topic has rumbled on since Rooney's days here, I have actually said if he still doesn't come up with the goods after a decent run in his best position, then I will be happy to see him go. I'm still waiting, as is Louie Sibley. But it still might be better for him to move on to a club who will actually want to get the best from him.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

While Hourihane and Barkhuisen keep getting opportunities thrown at them by the bucket load.

Actually, as this sort of topic has rumbled on since Rooney's days here, I have actually said if he still doesn't come up with the goods after a decent run in his best position, then I will be happy to see him go. I'm still waiting, as is Louie Sibley. But it still might be better for him to move on to a club who will actually want to get the best from him.

I refer the honourable member to my original post to kick off this topic!

American History School GIF by Creative Courage

59 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

"No end of chances"? Taking this season as an example, his chances at CM/AM were:

14 minutes as a sub when returning from injury and helped see out a 1-0 win. Injured for thr next 2 games.

2 months until his next 'chance'. A last minute sub when winning 3-1.

3 weeks later, he starts and gets 71 minutes. Starts the next game, gets an assist and is subbed at half time (we were losing 2-1 and eventually lost 3-1). Unused sub in the next game. The following game, he came on for the last 10 minutes when losing 2-0 to Crewe, then assists our 93rd minute equaliser.

Over 3 weeks until his next 'chance' at AM - a 95th minute sub. A start in the next league game (2 weeks later) and scores. Subbed off at half time in the next game (0-0, game finishes 1-1). 24 minutes off the bench in the next game.

6 weeks until his next game at AM. Subbed off at half time against Bradford (score was 0-0, we lost 1-0).

A couple of games later he gets another start at AM, followed by 27 mins off the bench a few days later.

3 weeks until he gets another chance. This time 13 mins to see out a 3-0 win. 9 mins a few days later and scores the only goal in a 1-0 win.

Maybe if he was given a consistent run of games in his favoured position we would get some consistency from him? Even so, he's averaged 1 goal contribution every 88 mins when playing central. The problem is he's played at LB or on the wing 75% of the time.

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Why was he dropped for Elder?   Sibley had played fine - not always great but then Bird, Collins, Hourihane etc all have quiet games and keep their shirt. 

Bradley is now hailed as the next Igor because he hasn't f'ed up for a couple of games by the same people saying Sibley hasn't done enough. 

14 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Sibley - 160 appearances, 31 yellows, 1 red... less than one yellow every 5 appearances. Seems fine. I don't know where Sibley has got this reputation for being a liability.
Adams - 234 appearances, 74 yellows, 6 reds. Quite a few reds, but to be expected for a CDM. A yellow every 3ish games.

13 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Have you watched Derby recently? Just how many red cards has Sibley had? If I recall correctly, it is just tone one, which was rescinded because the player he was supposed to have hospitalised was actually trapping Sibley's foot between his legs to make it look like Sibbers had kicked out. Oh, and while you are looking, check his current card count. It is pretty darned low, because he has calmed down tremendously over the last couple of seasons.

Adams is more likely to get carded because he has a more aggressive, combative style of play, and was maybe somewhat enthusiastic during his first couple of games, but may have settled down now.

Obviously a joke....

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"No end of chances"? Taking this season as an example, his chances at CM/AM were:

14 minutes as a sub when returning from injury and helped see out a 1-0 win. Injured for thr next 2 games.

2 months until his next 'chance'. A last minute sub when winning 3-1.

3 weeks later, he starts and gets 71 minutes. Starts the next game, gets an assist and is subbed at half time (we were losing 2-1 and eventually lost 3-1). Unused sub in the next game. The following game, he came on for the last 10 minutes when losing 2-0 to Crewe, then assists our 93rd minute equaliser.

Over 3 weeks until his next 'chance' at AM - a 95th minute sub. A start in the next league game (2 weeks later) and scores. Subbed off at half time in the next game (0-0, game finishes 1-1). 24 minutes off the bench in the next game.

6 weeks until his next game at AM. Subbed off at half time against Bradford (score was 0-0, we lost 1-0).

A couple of games later he gets another start at AM, followed by 27 mins off the bench a few days later.

3 weeks until he gets another chance. This time 13 mins to see out a 3-0 win. 9 mins a few days later and scores the only goal in a 1-0 win.

Maybe if he was given a consistent run of games in his favoured position we would get some consistency from him? Even so, he's averaged 1 goal contribution every 88 mins when playing central. The problem is he's played at LB or on the wing 75% of the time.

Great information. 👍

Like all  derby fans I have a soft spot for Sibley.

Whats not to like.  He's one of our own, a Derby fan who burst onto the scene from the academy, with a stunning  goal against Blackburn, followed up with a hatrick against at Millwall in the next game .

Problem is 4 years on, he rarely hits those heights, with his only consistent run of form being when he plays at full back.

Yes, he might not have had a long run in the team in his favoured position. Problem is football is a ruthless game, and when he has had a chance he is usually so anonymous, that its no surprise when he does gets subbed/dropped. 

Whilst we all want Sibley to be a success and possibly he might not have had the chance some believe he deserves, I would question whether now is the right time to persist with Sibley, when there are more reliable options available to us in the promotion run in.

Going back to those games against Blackburn and Millwall, even they weren't proof of consistency, as there was a 4 month gap between them thanks to COVID.

What I would say, is it fair to keep him for another 2 years if his chances are going to be the same as the last 4 years?

Surely at some point we let him go for the sake of his career. Unless of course he's happy being a bit part player here until he retires. 

12 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

I refer the honourable member to my original post to kick off this topic!

American History School GIF by Creative Courage

Fair comment, my good sir! Because this thread has been running since October, I hadn't read back from the beginning, so your original starter had slipped my mind!

Also: to the critics of Louie who keep referring to a succession of managers not giving him a decent run; he was actually brought into the 1st team by Cocu, who did give him room to express himself, hence the excitement at the time. The next manager was Rooney who throttled the flamboyance out of him. It may have been to get his fiery nature under control, but I suspect there was more. Maybe Rooney saw him as a number 10, but was also very keen on Max Bird, who had the potential to play the Number 10 role, so maybe Rooney was trying to create room for Max at Sibley's expense, even though he used Bird at CDM. Admittedly this is conjecture as I try to come up with a reason why Rooney would effectively break the lad. And then there is Paul Warne, who has done little more than prat him about.

So Sibley has only had 3 first team managers to contend with, one who blooded him, one who had personal issues and one who doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of what is available to him.

And yes, that last statement might mean that I had better go and get myself a tin hat. Hey ho!