Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

Watching Sibley in games recently I am more and more convinced that he is being over-managed!

Zlatan used to say that he was a Ferrari being driven like a Fiat!

Sir Matt Busby said to Bestie “George, just be in the round 15 minutes before kick-off and you’re in the team!”

Sibley is too good to be micromanaged. Would it be best for Mr Warne to let him off the lead and play to his strengths?

Use him or lose him to a Prem team and watch his value multiply for them!

Edited by Brammie Steve

However good an attacking player he might be - he can play well as a fullback! - we'll not see it under Warne. He looked okay playing with Wilson and scored good goals. So why not play them again? I cannot begin to understand Warne's playing rationale.

4 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Watching Sibley in games recently I am more and more convinced that he is being over-managed!

Sir Matt Busby said to Bestie “George, just be in the round 15 minutes before kick-off and you’re in the team!”

Sibley is too good to be micromanaged. Would it be best for Mr Warne to let him off the lead and play to his strengths?

To be fair to Warne this started with Rooney. Flattening out the fiery side of his game seems to have diminished him as a raw player. Or he could just not be living up to early promise as many players do but I love Sibley and tend to go for the former - like everyone he seems uncertain as to what he should be doing

I do agree Sibs hasn't been helped by being played out of position for almost his entire spell in the senior side, by current and previous managers. And that must have hampered his progress.

At the same time I wonder how we'd feel about him if he wasn't an academy graduate. We all love "our own" products and want nothing more than for them to make it as the finished item. Would we feel the same about him if we'd signed him from elsewhere? I think we'd possibly be much less patient and keen for him to be picked.

I also think that a(s Wildsmith said in an interview previously) being an academy player makes you easier to drop. Whilst NML has put in some excellent performances for us, he seems undroppable regardless of performances. Compare that to the playtime that Sibs gets when he has a quiet game, to me it seems really unfair. One 6/10 performance and sibs is on the bench for weeks, when if Nat does the same, he's still picked next week.

I don't think he's been given a fair crack at all. He has to be allowed to make mistakes and learn.

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Good players can thrive where ever they play. Sibs first touch, strength on the ball and passing aren't anywhere near good enough from my perspective. I understand of course that others have a different view. 

Could argue if he’s played in CAM and gets good delivery into him then he won’t have to battle as much to get anything away.

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

I do agree Sibs hasn't been helped by being played out of position for almost his entire spell in the senior side, by current and previous managers. And that must have hampered his progress.

At the same time I wonder how we'd feel about him if he wasn't an academy graduate. We all love "our own" products and want nothing more than for them to make it as the finished item. Would we feel the same about him if we'd signed him from elsewhere? I think we'd possibly be much less patient and keen for him to be picked.

I also think that a(s Wildsmith said in an interview previously) being an academy player makes you easier to drop. Whilst NML has put in some excellent performances for us, he seems undroppable regardless of performances. Compare that to the playtime that Sibs gets when he has a quiet game, to me it seems really unfair. One 6/10 performance and sibs is on the bench for weeks, when if Nat does the same, he's still picked next week.

I don't think he's been given a fair crack at all. He has to be allowed to make mistakes and learn.

Did you see how the fans reacted to Fornah in his first few games, like he was the second coming? Our young players are often judged differently to ones we buy in.

Now we have a manager in that seems to prefer 'his' players to the ones already here, so that he even played Fornah as a 10 before he played the squad's best finisher there.

1 hour ago, Brammie Steve said:

There’s not a chance a Prem team will be looking at Sibley. I like Sibley but he has to do better. Should’ve scored yesterday with a very good chance and didn’t impress hugely. I hope he keeps his place, but not sure where he fits into our current system. 

Just get him off the wing, his runs against Notts were great when he was through the middle. Warne doesn't seem to know what to do with technical forwards though, just wants crosses and big men then use a small man to to stretch things when required (Washington).

24 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Just get him off the wing, his runs against Notts were great when he was through the middle. Warne doesn't seem to know what to do with technical forwards though, just wants crosses and big men then use a small man to to stretch things when required (Washington).

He played the same position at Notts. Outside right.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

He played the same position at Notts. Outside right.

He came in to the middle of the pitch a lot more though, as underdogs we had to play a counter attacking hybrid winger system. If we had tried to compete technically in the centre of the pitch those league two centre mids would have ran the game (they did anyway but yeah).

Wouldn’t be against him playing left back again, seemed to enjoy having the space to run into, crossing was excellent. Wing back required too much running.

otherwise he needs to play centrally. Is wasted out wide but again we have very limited options.