Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

8 hours ago, Srg said:

I love Sibley as much as anyone, but he couldn’t do CBT’s role. Sibley runs in treacle, which is frankly why he hasn’t hit the heights we thought he might when he broke through. 

I find posts like this just weird. One of Sibley's many strengths is his ability to run with the ball at his feet, at speed, leaving midfielders of defenders in his wake. He's absolutely no slouch. We are a team whose instructions are to bypass central midfield and play the ball wide at the earliest possible opportunity. If we were prepared to vary our approach and played Sibbo in midfield, then we'd have the threat from the wings and also the threat from the centre.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I find posts like this just weird. One of Sibley's many strengths is his ability to run with the ball at his feet, at speed, leaving midfielders of defenders in his wake. He's absolutely no slouch. We are a team whose instructions are to bypass central midfield and play the ball wide at the earliest possible opportunity. If we were prepared to vary our approach and played Sibbo in midfield, then we'd have the threat from the wings and also the threat from the centre.

Dont confuse the ability to drop a shoulder and beat a man with the ability to sprint. He’s too slow to be a winger, and that’s fine because he isn’t one (the original point was he couldn’t do what CBT can do). He suits Wing Back well. 

8 hours ago, Srg said:

Dont confuse the ability to drop a shoulder and beat a man with the ability to sprint. He’s too slow to be a winger, and that’s fine because he isn’t one (the original point was he couldn’t do what CBT can do). He suits Wing Back well. 

It's not only wingers that play as forward players. There's more to attacking play than running quickly with the ball. Although our 'tactics' are limited ATM. So not literally a like for like which I didn't mean, sorry for the confusion.

Edited by RoyMac5

For whatever reason, at this stage Sibley hasn't fulfilled the potential he showed as a teenager, and I wonder if his future is as a utility player who can do a good job at wing back and in attacking midfield, including chipping in with the occasional important goal.

9 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

For whatever reason, at this stage Sibley hasn't fulfilled the potential he showed as a teenager, and I wonder if his future is as a utility player who can do a good job at wing back and in attacking midfield, including chipping in with the occasional important goal.

He is not good enough to play no 10 role or fast enough to be a winger but had adapted well to LWB and secured a place on his merit. 

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. Why?

Cus he wasn’t very good in my opinion but has reverted to his normal midfield role and has been great.

I guess I’m saying Sibbers isn’t playing in his preferred position and thus not having the chance to impress and build his worth in an AM position duck.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Cus he wasn’t very good in my opinion but has reverted to his normal midfield role and has been great.

I guess I’m saying Sibbers isn’t playing in his preferred position and thus not having the chance to impress and build his worth in an AM position duck.

Gotcha. I hope we get chance to find out.