Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

30 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Warne after the match:

"But to concede one so late on and I've been told it hits Marlon Pack's arm in the build-up which is disappointing. But you can't allow Bishop on his own in the six when you've got three centre-backs on"

Having watched the goal back this morning I find it quite odd that he's more disappointed of Bishop finding himself free in amongst our defence for the equaliser but not at fact that team completely sitting back and allowing the cross in the first place. Smith, Embleton and Barkhuizen's effort for their goal was shocking. 

When you play the full game with a 4 and then switch to a 5 for no reason for 5 minutes there’s bound to be confusion.

A left back defending the left back area probably stops the cross but we had a forward doing it because of the switch.

Sibley actually moved straight to LWB which might have been alright but he was quickly swapped with Barkhuizen. That’s the Sibley who did very well as a full back when we barely conceded a shot for months on end last season, and the Barkhuizen who played maybe 1-2 games as a LWB last season before Warne realised it was absolutely terrible.

45 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we are shopping at Poudland for players now , what will happen if crowds start to fall away ? By the way - We play Lincoln at home tomorrow, what sort of crowd are we looking at ?

Probably just the ground staff there tomorrow, we don’t play till  Tuesday 😉

13 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Pretty drab game, draw was a fair result. Neither team created much, thought our defenders did well vs Bishop

I must have been dreaming then as I can swear I saw

17th minute header (Bishop) cleared off the line

58th minute flick (Bishop) completely unmarked from 6 yards

64th minute unmarked from 6 yards just wide

69th minute scramble on the line that somehow wasn't turned in

93rd minute tap in header (Bishop) just over the bar

Plus 3 or 4 lesser chances

We had a few as well but they just about deserved to win.

14 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

no team has been outstanding against us

Portsmouth bossing the chances at PP suggests they are much better than us. Even home games v. Wigan Oxford Fleetwood also means we have been worse than 4 of the 7 sides we've faced.

15 minutes ago, ap04 said:

I must have been dreaming then as I can swear I saw

17th minute header (Bishop) cleared off the line

58th minute flick (Bishop) completely unmarked from 6 yards

64th minute unmarked from 6 yards just wide

69th minute scramble on the line that somehow wasn't turned in

93rd minute tap in header (Bishop) just over the bar

Plus 3 or 4 lesser chances

We had a few as well but they just about deserved to win.

Portsmouth bossing the chances at PP suggests they are much better than us. Even home games v. Wigan Oxford Fleetwood also means we have been worse than 4 of the 7 sides we've faced.

Shame on you ap...you missed the Blackpool game out where we were just short of woeful 😉 

I think Warne has got too many things wrong already this season to signify any positives/improvements that could happen. I’ll just list a few problems we’ve faced:

Max Bird in an attacking role- 142 games 3 goals. His creativity abilities forward are weak and the fact he looked better playing further back on the odd occasion shows it was a terrible experiment.

Playing 3 centre midfielders=  A flat midfield is the main reason of our creativity issues so far. If you play so defensively with 3 centre defenders, why do you need 3 central midfielders? 

Consistency using 3 at the back: You need 2 of the wider centre backs to be able to carry the ball which we don’t have. 

Playing players out of position- Mendez Laing left Sheff W because he didn’t like playing the wing back role.  Elder didn’t have a clue where to position himself yesterday.

Youth players-Nothing to be excited about in terms of players at the moment. Brings in Rooney/Thompson who gave the team energy and a lift. I’m sure he’s reluctant to play youth. D.Brown should be on the bench and at least playing a part. I’d rather see him play than a former Rotherham player run about.

Obsession with set pieces- Yes, we didn’t score from many last season but he goes on about it. There are other ways to score Mr. Warne..how about working on players passing it forward rather than launching it

Tactics/Style: The worst til last….we can’t be hoofing it for the next 39 games otherwise fans will have enough of the terrible style. Attendances will drop and we will be behind the top teams come November.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

If you like, the whole of this league is shopping in Poundland then!

We have no plan, or if we start out with a bit of one the subs come on and it's just everyone everywhere.

He's had a year, he's had two transfer windows, we've lost (and nearly lost) much better players than he's bought in. It's finding the right manager, or a manager who can put a team together and sticking with them if you think that is important. We bought 10 players in, so they can be 'turned over', I'm sure it could have been more - they all know how to play football, why shouldn't a new manager get new players playing almost immediately?!

Whilst I'm not impressed with the standard of football atm, yesterday I lost count of the number of times simple passes and attempts at ball control failed, maybe the pressure of playing at home in front of nearly 30k is affecting them. I do find your comments a tad harsh, you seem to be criticising PW for letting the likes of Knight, Didzy and Bielik go, whilst not replacing them with better players. I can't think of many managers who after being forced to sell players for millions of pounds, then replace them with better players for nothing. Even relatively unknown good players from the lower leagues will require a fee to be paid.

Whilst the football and results are disappointing atm, we need to give PW a bit of time with a nearly full squad, to achieve some kind of consistency, before hounding him out of the club.

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Whilst I'm not impressed with the standard of football atm, yesterday I lost count of the number of times simple passes and attempts at ball control failed, maybe the pressure of playing at home in front of nearly 30k is affecting them. I do find your comments a tad harsh, you seem to be criticising PW for letting the likes of Knight, Didzy and Bielik go, whilst not replacing them with better players. I can't think of many managers who after being forced to sell players for millions of pounds, then replace them with better players for nothing. Even relatively unknown good players from the lower leagues will require a fee to be paid.

Whilst the football and results are disappointing atm, we need to give PW a bit of time with a nearly full squad, to achieve some kind of consistency, before hounding him out of the club.

Why?

He's not looked like he knows what he's trying to achieve at any point in his tenure. When we've done well it's mostly down to injuries affecting who he can select and where he can then play players. When he tries to achieve something to his own 'chosen' plan he mostly fails. Why do we want more of the type of player Warne signs?

Edited by RoyMac5

38 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

if the entire playing style hinges on ward, then theres something not right

Not to mention, Ward plays in exactly the same position as NML, who's been a lot better since he moved back out wide.  If Ward comes back, is NML going to end up stuck in that weird inside left position again, where he was completely ineffective?

24 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

1.75 to 1.65 in our favour xg was on the site i used.

A draw was a fair result.

I'd love a breakdown of that 1.75, would have to check but site I used may not count penalty.

I don't remember us having 1.75  xG of chances.

5 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Yes this Rotherham fan has summed things up perfectly. 

He also made a good point that league 1 is getting stronger and that’s why PW’s magic is none existent.

But everyone on here keeps saying how this is the weakest the division has ever been.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

When you play the full game with a 4 and then switch to a 5 for no reason for 5 minutes there’s bound to be confusion.

A left back defending the left back area probably stops the cross but we had a forward doing it because of the switch.

Sibley actually moved straight to LWB which might have been alright but he was quickly swapped with Barkhuizen. That’s the Sibley who did very well as a full back when we barely conceded a shot for months on end last season, and the Barkhuizen who played maybe 1-2 games as a LWB last season before Warne realised it was absolutely terrible.

Isn't Fozzy our left back? I must admit I cannot work Warne's formations out. Sibley was a big threat up front, offered more in a few minutes than NML in his 70.