Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

She didn’t just make one mistake. Peterborough were overtly physical all match, and for the opening 30 minutes they looked like they should have been on a rugby pitch, but she did nothing about it. How many times was Fozzy being bear-hugged at corners and free kicks? At last 3 to my knowledge in the second half alone? But she let the vast majority of it go. All it needed was a firm clamp down on it early on, as she did on her last visit.

She was still the best we’ve had for the last 18 months. Or more!

I don't think you can expect her to spot fouls that Peterborough were making.

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

She didn’t just make one mistake. Peterborough were overtly physical all match, and for the opening 30 minutes they looked like they should have been on a rugby pitch, but she did nothing about it. How many times was Fozzy being bear-hugged at corners and free kicks? At last 3 to my knowledge in the second half alone? But she let the vast majority of it go. All it needed was a firm clamp down on it early on, as she did on her last visit.

She was still the best we’ve had for the last 18 months. Or more!

We were playing Portsmouth not Peterborough but don’t worry, we all make mistakes 😉

19 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually the South Staanders were pretty loud at the start of the match, probably the best we have been for some time, but for some reason or other it seemed as though the life was being sucked out of us. I can't think why. 🙄

As I said in another post, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people sitting down in the south and/or clearing off downstairs so early in the first half. There were lots of empty seats around us. It was loud at the start but I think every one just got bored. 

Maybe it’s time the west stand started getting involved 😉. On a serious note, at Bolton the other week the singing, while concentrated in the corner, was coming from all three home stands. If one of the other stands started something, I’m the SS would join in. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Manager roulette - you can argue Mac (twice) and Clement were sacked too soon but not the rest. Pearson should never have been hired in the first place, and Cocu was given the chance to turn things around before being fired. Rowett, Lampard and Rooney all made the choice to leave.

Stockpiled players - was a result of not having a coherent plan regarding style of play, with hiring managers who have a different style to the last manager. Fast attacking style, to slow possession, to defensive football, back to attacking, then slow possession again, etc. Hiring manager with an intended style of play in mind reduces the liklihood of players not suited the next manager's plans, thus reducing the chance of a blotated squad.

Big contracts and payoffs - these are less risky if the manager is hired based on the club's style of play. 

Agree… aka the brentford model

but this is derby county and i assume from current public outcry we would want a manager with a different style to the current one

and the merrygo round and stockpiling would begin again

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree… aka the brentford model

but this is derby county and i assume from current public outcry we would want a manager with a different style to the current one

and the merrygo round and stockpiling would begin again

Fortunately, the majority of the players we have are suited to a slower possession based game and lot of players are out of contract in the summer too.

Therefore, a manager who knows how to set a team up to play a possession based game would be ideal, with the view to increasing the intensity of play once we can make the changes to the squad.

14 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

As I said in another post, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people sitting down in the south and/or clearing off downstairs so early in the first half. There were lots of empty seats around us. It was loud at the start but I think every one just got bored. 

Maybe it’s time the west stand started getting involved 😉. On a serious note, at Bolton the other week the singing, while concentrated in the corner, was coming from all three home stands. If one of the other stands started something, I’m the SS would join in. 

I agree, we were pretty poor at Bolton. They were too (at finishing) but the crowd could see they'd got the ball, there was effort being put in and got right behind them.

There is a correlation here to the other thread discussion about Warne ball versus Rosenior. We got behind the team then because it always felt like we were on the edge of that breakthrough. Now, we haven't got the ball much so we're just collectively holding our breath.

Or worse.

I've been to every match home and away and there is general grumbling, discontent and some outright abuse.

Even at Burton and Peterborough,  before the goals.

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree, we were pretty poor at Bolton. They were too (at finishing) but the crowd could see they'd got the ball, there was effort being put in and got right behind them.

There is a correlation here to the other thread discussion about Warne ball versus Rosenior. We got behind the team then because it always felt like we were on the edge of that breakthrough. Now, we haven't got the ball much so we're just collectively holding our breath.

Or worse.

I've been to every match home and away and there is general grumbling, discontent and some outright abuse.

Even at Burton and Peterborough,  before the goals.

I'd largely agree. I'm not enjoying our play. I'm willing us to win, i'm delighted when we score, but the minutes in between are painful. 

We are relying on loyalty at the minute and if this carries on, the club will find that supporters have varying levels of loyalty, including myself. I'm at the point of I've paid for a season ticket and I'll do the away grounds ive not been to before. That's it.

Many supporters are more transient or less fortunate financially and its more of a sacrifice to go. If this continues, I'll look at away games next season and think that's a holiday instead.

I'm not sure if I'd ever give up my season ticket, but this football has made me at least think about it.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I'd largely agree. I'm not enjoying our play. I'm willing us to win, i'm delighted when we score, but the minutes in between are painful. 

We are relying on loyalty at the minute and if this carries on, the club will find that supporters have varying levels of loyalty, including myself. I'm at the point of I've paid for a season ticket and I'll do the away grounds ive not been to before. That's it.

Many supporters are more transient or less fortunate financially and its more of a sacrifice to go. If this continues, I'll look at away games next season and think that's a holiday instead.

I'm not sure if I'd ever give up my season ticket, but this football has made me at least think about it.

I know how you feel. I've been to see Alfreton twice this season and they have me on the edge of my seat. Strong forward play and neat passing football. Always a goal threat. They are part-timers in National League North.

(Mind you, they're also a bit thuggish when they need to be!) 

We’re so one paced. Frantic. So I only expect us to have the ball for a few seconds and hence the excitement just isn’t there. Yet, in interviews, Warne accuses the players of trying to make too many killer passes and at the same time making an extra pass when having the chance to cross, shoot etc. He needs to be clear about what his instructions are as from the stands, the instruction appears to be knock it long into the channels and get a cross in. 🤷🏽‍♂️

These match threads are becoming oh to familiar week in week out

We were shocking again Saturday once we scored the penalty we all thought around me it would be a robbery if we won the game.

That said given Portsmouth were unbeaten they were not much better .

Starting to get concerned now about the way we set up and play, Warne im sorry to say is not the answer,you can blame injuries all you want but its more than that, i think he as bought players in to the club that are literally not good enough to get us out of this division .

The only saving grace is no one looks like running away with the league, look who is at the top Exeter and Port vale with Stevenage close by,its embarrassing, the Red Dogs must be loving this 

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

how was it earned?, it was a handball. Thats not something the team have created

They havent just out of nowhere handled the ball.  We have got ourselves up the pitch put in a cross which waghorn got on the end of forcing their defender to try stop a goal. Unfortunately for him illegally.

So yes penalties are very much earned.