Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

23 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Isn't Fozzy our left back?

He played left back in the 4, then moved to the centre of the 3 when we went to a back 5.  

I can understand the logic of say taking a striker off and dropping a 3rd centre half in the middle of your existing back 4, but when you're moving half the defence around to make the switch, it can't be a good idea.

26 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He played left back in the 4, then moved to the centre of the 3 when we went to a back 5.  

I can understand the logic of say taking a striker off and dropping a 3rd centre half in the middle of your existing back 4, but when you're moving half the defence around to make the switch, it can't be a good idea.

Warne thinks it was:

"...But you can't allow Bishop on his own in the six when you've got three centre-backs on.

We will obviously play a lot better and we will play a lot better and lose. But once you've got your head in front, we should be able to see the game out and that's what's disappointing."

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

I'd love a breakdown of that 1.75, would have to check but site I used may not count penalty.

I don't remember us having 1.75  xG of chances.

Hit the bar in the first half, Fozzy chance at the back post, Barkhuizen chance near the end and the penalty gets you fairly close to 1.75 xG.

34 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Hit the bar in the first half, Fozzy chance at the back post, Barkhuizen chance near the end and the penalty gets you fairly close to 1.75 xG.

Fair enough, I must admit to not remembering us hit the bar first half mind.

Can't see barkhuizen chance adding up to much.

Annoyingly,there used to be a guy on twitter that did really good xG timelines for games , but looks like he's given it up.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Not to mention, Ward plays in exactly the same position as NML, who's been a lot better since he moved back out wide.  If Ward comes back, is NML going to end up stuck in that weird inside left position again, where he was completely ineffective?

is the whole team not completely ineffective?

13 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Sorry, after reading this I've had to log in for the first time in years. I'm seeing a few people saying ref was good etc, am I the only one who watched Marlon Pack control the ball with his forearm in the buildup to their goal?

Good for 99% but she ruined it completely by missing a blatant hand ball.

She was blindsided and would have been guessing like the ref who sent off Wildsmith. She needed help from the East Stand lino who wasn't the best.

I can't think of any players who only made one mistake all game.  

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

But everyone on here keeps saying how this is the weakest the division has ever been.

This season really is an “Open Goal “ to get promoted. Next season L1 could contain Shef W , Rotherham , Middlesboro , Notts C and other teams without points deducted. Did Warne think he could do it by signing journeymen I wonder?

37 minutes ago, sage said:

She was blindsided and would have been guessing like the ref who sent off Wildsmith. She needed help from the East Stand lino who wasn't the best.

There were plenty of free kicks given for no reason. And once when Waggy was fouled but she gave a free kick to Pompey. Not sure about a couple of penalty shouts we had.. was it Washington in the box, and a possible handball from a Sibley shot I would like to see again. Plus their goal was offside as well as following on from a handball.  But again you can blame the lino for those blunders maybe. 

4 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Yer but we did manager roulette before… stockpiled players , big contracts and pay offs and we nearly died from it 

Manager roulette - you can argue Mac (twice) and Clement were sacked too soon but not the rest. Pearson should never have been hired in the first place, and Cocu was given the chance to turn things around before being fired. Rowett, Lampard and Rooney all made the choice to leave.

Stockpiled players - was a result of not having a coherent plan regarding style of play, with hiring managers who have a different style to the last manager. Fast attacking style, to slow possession, to defensive football, back to attacking, then slow possession again, etc. Hiring manager with an intended style of play in mind reduces the liklihood of players not suited the next manager's plans, thus reducing the chance of a blotated squad.

Big contracts and payoffs - these are less risky if the manager is hired based on the club's style of play. 

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

There were plenty of free kicks given for no reason. And once when Waggy was fouled but she gave a free kick to Pompey. Not sure about a couple of penalty shouts we had.. was it Washington in the box, and a possible handball from a Sibley shot I would like to see again. Plus their goal was offside as well as following on from a handball.  But again you can blame the lino for those blunders maybe. 

Not everything we want given that isn't given is a mistake. The handball claim from the shot in the second half hit his shoulder. Someone on here has a still which proves he wasn't offside.

She is one of the better refs. 

34 minutes ago, sage said:

Not everything we want given that isn't given is a mistake. The handball claim from the shot in the second half hit his shoulder. Someone on here has a still which proves he wasn't offside.

She is one of the better refs. 

Remember her having a good game last season.

Couple questionable ones both ways yesterday, but still about the best I've seen this season.

Will be fast tracked to the prem I reckon

57 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

This season really is an “Open Goal “ to get promoted. Next season L1 could contain Shef W , Rotherham , Middlesboro , Notts C and other teams without points deducted. Did Warne think he could do it by signing journeymen I wonder?

I wouldn't describe it as an open goal exactly. There is still Bolton, Barnsley, Pompey and a few other serious contenders but, on paper, it does look like an less competitive league than next season might be.

2 hours ago, sage said:

She didn’t just make one mistake. Peterborough were overtly physical all match, and for the opening 30 minutes they looked like they should have been on a rugby pitch, but she did nothing about it. How many times was Fozzy being bear-hugged at corners and free kicks? At last 3 to my knowledge in the second half alone? But she let the vast majority of it go. All it needed was a firm clamp down on it early on, as she did on her last visit.

She was still the best we’ve had for the last 18 months. Or more!