Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

36 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I really don't get this wrist slashing. Yes it was a dour affair and atm we look like a mid table outfit. But hasn't 17 managers since 2007 shown you anything. Hire and fire doesn't work does it. We are still shopping in Poundland for players and that's where we're at. Sacking the current management team won't name the slightest bit of difference....

Correction: hiring the wrong manager doesn't work. How long would you have given Pearson? We would have got relegated under him.

Bit of a dour game , I think warne is under a bit of pressure now and I get the impression that he’s feeling it , my concern isn’t that we are not playing the liam way it’s that we are not playing the way warne says he wants us playing , 

I do think this only goes one of two ways fairly quickly , we improve and an easier run of fixtures build confidence and momentum in which case no decision on warne is forced or warne and the players don’t deal with the pressure and he is out fairly quickly , clowes seems a decent bloke and level headed but my gut is he is a passionate derby fan and will not shy away from being ruthless where the club is concerned , next 4 or 5 games are the pivot in my view

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

We also have players with very little technical ability.

This! Shocking lack of basic footballing skills on display again yesterday. Jumping early for headers and coming down as the ball gets there (save Nelson who won just about everything). Wayward passes that gave up possession almost every time (Cashin’s passing out of defence was truly awful). Game passed Fornah by and he was 2 yards off getting to every tackle. I’d have dragged him at half-time regardless of the fact he was a tackle away from a red. Positives were Waggy - tireless all game trying to make things happen, with Wash a close second. Must be so frustrating for them - passes behind them more than once. Spoke with a couple of fans yesterday and we all said that Hourihane being out for a couple of weeks might not be a bad thing. One decent delivery that Foz should’ve put away at the back post. Why he’s taking corners from the right god only knows. Slow-paced, diagonal ball every time that’s so easy to defend it’s untrue. A real difficult watch yesterday. To be honest given what PW said at the FF in the week It’s maybe not a bad thing that Academy lads are getting shielded from that!

Edited by DiggerB

Morning thoughts - we travel from Cambs because we are Derby mad. We dont expect us to be world beaters esp where we're at just now but is it too much to ask for glimmers of where we want to be heading and a few shots on target? Excited on the journey to Derby after the gap but just felt so flat on way back. 
True we have several injuries (luck or not?) and I am trying to be patient as really do think managers should be given more time and we need to build back steadily but all I thought yesterday on way back is we could have had a lovely late summer's day at the beach instead. Would say the style of football is losing me but you could see at times last season what PW was trying to do and it worked for a while but now it isnt a style as such as throwing people on to see what happens. I think PW has lost some confidence in himself as have the players and we are not playing as he wants as @Archied mentioned above. Still hope he can turn it around but looking less likely with each game.

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I really don't get this wrist slashing. Yes it was a dour affair and atm we look like a mid table outfit. But hasn't 17 managers since 2007 shown you anything. Hire and fire doesn't work does it. We are still shopping in Poundland for players and that's where we're at. Sacking the current management team won't name the slightest bit of difference....

Of course it will! Any manager or coach we appoint who plays actual football on the deck and not the hoofball garbage we are currently enduring will have this lot challenging for top six minimum within weeks. This squad is easily good enough for that; it’s  the management that are holding us back.

If you like, the whole of this league is shopping in Poundland then!

We have no plan, or if we start out with a bit of one the subs come on and it's just everyone everywhere.

He's had a year, he's had two transfer windows, we've lost (and nearly lost) much better players than he's bought in. It's finding the right manager, or a manager who can put a team together and sticking with them if you think that is important. We bought 10 players in, so they can be 'turned over', I'm sure it could have been more - they all know how to play football, why shouldn't a new manager get new players playing almost immediately?!

Edited by RoyMac5

Spot on, 100%, nothing to add.

I get what you are saying but I don’t agree - I think a different manager could get more out of this squad.

15 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Of course it will! Any manager or coach we appoint who plays actual football on the deck and not the hoofball garbage we are currently enduring will have this lot challenging for top six minimum within weeks. This squad is easily good enough for that; it’s  the management that are holding us back.

Yep.

This crazy idea that keeping a manager for a long time will make them a good one, is arse over tit! Clubs try to keep managers that seem good for a long time.

8 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Sorry, after reading this I've had to log in for the first time in years. I'm seeing a few people saying ref was good etc, am I the only one who watched Marlon Pack control the ball with his forearm in the buildup to their goal?

Good for 99% but she ruined it completely by missing a blatant hand ball.

The penalty she gave us was laughable too, it clearly deflects off his body first.

The shopping in Poundland comment doesn’t fit with the league we are in, because I’m 100% certain when the accounts are posted for this season we will be a million or two higher on wage budget than the closest to us and triple, perhaps even quadruple the league average. 

How many teams in this league could’ve paid the wages of Sonny Bradley who will be earning the best part of £1.5m over the length of his contract. 

Warne after the match:

"But to concede one so late on and I've been told it hits Marlon Pack's arm in the build-up which is disappointing. But you can't allow Bishop on his own in the six when you've got three centre-backs on"

Having watched the goal back this morning I find it quite odd that he's more disappointed of Bishop finding himself free in amongst our defence for the equaliser but not at fact that team completely sitting back and allowing the cross in the first place. Smith, Embleton and Barkhuizen's effort for their goal was shocking. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Correction: hiring the wrong manager doesn't work. How long would you have given Pearson? We would have got relegated under him.

Yer but we did manager roulette before… stockpiled players , big contracts and pay offs and we nearly died from it 

If we are shopping at Poudland for players now , what will happen if crowds start to fall away ? By the way - We play Lincoln at home tomorrow, what sort of crowd are we looking at ?

Keeping poor management for the sake of stability is ludicrous, any manager with half a brain would get more out of this squad than the current regime. Giving Warne more time is just regressing the club into a state where it will take years to recover from

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Warne was asked why he doesn’t leave someone on halfway at defensive corners. He said something along the lines of “show me how often a team scores from that”… meaning the team leaving the player on half way. He didn’t have your defensive take on it at all

This has made me annoyed this morning actually. Does he really think we’re so stupid that we expect to score from that all the time? We want a fast bloke on halfway to compete with their defence so it isn’t just wave after wave of balls forward into our box. It relieves pressure if we force their last man to pass it back to the keeper etc