Derby v Portsmouth Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

They havent just out of nowhere handled the ball.  We have got ourselves up the pitch put in a cross which waghorn got on the end of forcing their defender to try stop a goal. Unfortunately for him illegally.

So yes penalties are very much earned. 

i get your point, but when the cross comes in for the waghorn flick we're not trying to get a penalty. The Waghorn chance itself is a low xg chance. Just because an opposition player makes a handball mistake, we can't really say thats something we've created deservingly. Therefore the best way to look at games is non-pen xg.

I came over to the UK and went to the match with a crowd of friends we sat in west upper where I still have a seat, on Sunday  I also caught up with friends who sit in the North Stand, I can tell y’all that if Warne continues as manager the ground will be virtually empty next season, to a man and woman we were disgusted at what we witnessed. None of us will be there tomorrow night and the lack of enthusiasm to turn up for another game was palpable. Apart from Waggy there was no effort from the team, and the tactics were at sub pub team level. Clowes must be getting severe buyers remorse about warne, and I predict as soon as crowds drop below 20 k he will be an ex manager.

2 minutes ago, Gringo said:

I came over to the UK and went to the match with a crowd of friends we sat in west upper where I still have a seat, on Sunday  I also caught up with friends who sit in the North Stand, I can tell y’all that if Warne continues as manager the ground will be virtually empty next season, to a man and woman we were disgusted at what we witnessed. None of us will be there tomorrow night and the lack of enthusiasm to turn up for another game was palpable. Apart from Waggy there was no effort from the team, and the tactics were at sub pub team level. Clowes must be getting severe buyers remorse about warne, and I predict as soon as crowds drop below 20 k he will be an ex manager.

Glad you could make it over but I would disagree on a couple of points.

Whether the ground will be “virtually empty next season” (depends on your definition of virtually empty) will largely depend on results rather than whether Warne is manager or not. If we get promoted (I know, feels like a pipe dream right now) attendances (and season ticket sales) will be reasonable regardless of who the manager is. IMO, even if we miss out, provided performances and results improve (I know, another pipe dream) there won’t be a mass exodus of season ticket holders even if PW is still in charge. 

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest there was no effort from the team apart from Waggy. The application wasn’t always great but there was plenty of effort. For example, Washington ran his socks off and I don’t think you can doubt the efforts from the likes of Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth, Wildsmith and Sibley to name but a few.

29 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Hard to disagree with you

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

Why take it off though? We earned that penalty.

I thought it was a pretty harsh penalty myself. Not sure how their defender could have avoided hand contact, given how close he was, and it looked like it hit his thigh before his arm. Pretty sure we would have had a week of whinging if it had been in the other box.

4 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

We’re so one paced. Frantic. So I only expect us to have the ball for a few seconds and hence the excitement just isn’t there. Yet, in interviews, Warne accuses the players of trying to make too many killer passes and at the same time making an extra pass when having the chance to cross, shoot etc. He needs to be clear about what his instructions are as from the stands, the instruction appears to be knock it long into the channels and get a cross in. 🤷🏽‍♂️

This is my biggest worry, he talks about moving the ball quicker, having urgency. Then he says we're trying too hard to make the killer pass and we need to look after the ball better. Totally contradictory instructions

Or not necessarily, because there are times he will want us to be patient and other times to go for the kill, but the players don't seem to know when he wants them to do what

3 hours ago, Gringo said:

Carlisle away sold out.

Cheltenham away sold out.

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I thought it was a pretty harsh penalty myself. Not sure how their defender could have avoided hand contact, given how close he was, and it looked like it hit his thigh before his arm. Pretty sure we would have had a week of whinging if it had been in the other box.

Why do you keep posting this bollix ?  Again and again. All of the refs are instructed from on high to punish us for being derby and anyone who thinks otherwise is a conspiracy theorist. The fact the EFL memos have not been leaked proves it beyond doubt 

5 hours ago, Gringo said:

Crowds aren’t dropping below 20k! 

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Fortunately, the majority of the players we have are suited to a slower possession based game and lot of players are out of contract in the summer too.

Therefore, a manager who knows how to set a team up to play a possession based game would be ideal, with the view to increasing the intensity of play once we can make the changes to the squad.

Would be interesting to see how long sections of the fanbase gave this new manager to implement a new playing style with a new group of players … warnes had what less than 10 games? With the 9 new players we recuited in the summer

The club should come with a warning to any new manager that we’re not really v patient round here 

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Would be interesting to see how long sections of the fanbase gave this new manager to implement a new playing style with a new group of players … warnes had what less than 10 games? With the 9 new players we recuited in the summer

The club should come with a warning to any new manager that we’re not really v patient round here 

We saw what he did last season as well. Those players may not have been his first choice, but that's often how it is for football managers. He hit lucky on an unbeaten streak, but had no idea how to replicate it. 

Oh and no clubs fans are patient, unless you know who are?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We saw what he did last season as well. Those players may not have been his first choice, but that's often how it is for football managers. He hit lucky on an unbeaten streak, but had no idea how to replicate it. 

Oh and no clubs fans are patient, unless you know who are?

True but clubs like derby, forest and leeds and the like are a lot less patient due to expectactions cos of our size and where we believe historically we belong (rightly or wrongly) 

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

True but clubs like derby, forest and leeds and the like are a lot less patient due to expectactions cos of our size and where we believe historically we belong (rightly or wrongly) 

So is Clowes a lot less patient saying our budget is good enough for promotion? Yeah of course we expect promotion but just as importantly we would like to see football played 'the right way'. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So is Clowes a lot less patient saying our budget is good enough for promotion? Yeah of course we expect promotion but just as importantly we would like to see football played 'the right way'. 

We had enough budget to hold onto a goalie who won't play, whilst not having enough in the budget to bring in a forward on a free who went to Oxford.  It's all odd and I believe the budget wasn't very well used.

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Glad you could make it over but I would disagree on a couple of points.

Whether the ground will be “virtually empty next season” (depends on your definition of virtually empty) will largely depend on results rather than whether Warne is manager or not. If we get promoted (I know, feels like a pipe dream right now) attendances (and season ticket sales) will be reasonable regardless of who the manager is. IMO, even if we miss out, provided performances and results improve (I know, another pipe dream) there won’t be a mass exodus of season ticket holders even if PW is still in charge. 

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest there was no effort from the team apart from Waggy. The application wasn’t always great but there was plenty of effort. For example, Washington ran his socks off and I don’t think you can doubt the efforts from the likes of Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth, Wildsmith and Sibley to name but a few.

I'll do that for 7 or 8k a week.  I can also do the awful pass at snail pace stopping a certain goal and the letting it bounce 5 ft in front of me whilst clear in the box.  I'd do it for less to be fair.  

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'll do that for 7 or 8k a week.  I can also do the awful pass at snail pace stopping a certain goal and the letting it bounce 5 ft in front of me whilst clear in the box.  I'd do it for less to be fair.  

So would I but I don't think you can dispute him and many others were putting effort in which is the point I was making.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Time will tell wont it

he strikes me as a far cry from mad mel and a lot more level headed. The question will be if the fan on him doesnt start to have a say in his judgement 

15 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Time will tell wont it

he strikes me as a far cry from mad mel and a lot more level headed. The question will be if the fan on him doesnt start to have a say in his judgement 

Mad Mel wanted promotion. He and we paid for his player buying/wages stupidity in the end. What has level-headed to do with sticking with a manager who is churning out boring unproductive football?

Oooh Burnley scored. 

On 17/09/2023 at 20:18, NottsRam77 said:

Agree… aka the brentford model

but this is derby county and i assume from current public outcry we would want a manager with a different style to the current one

and the merrygo round and stockpiling would begin again

Err no. We have players who can can do all right in League 1, so all we need is a manager who wants them to play football, instead of simply run around a lot. Think of the difference between how Nigel Clough's team played compared with how Steve Maclaren's team (same players) played. We could see something similar, only much more pronounced. It won't so much be the taking the brakes off, but more actually playing football, with a plan and tactics.