Where's this new midfielder?

oldtimeram

8 hours ago, ossieram said:

These players are no different to anyone else nowadays and will look at social media and other things about the club and support. 

They may well be impressed at the numbers we get, but not so happy to see the team getting booed after 2 or 3 games or the toxicity surrounding the club when things go wrong.

We are not going to make the players we sign financially secure for life like your Man city's or Chelsea,  so players at this level don't just look at the money and say stuff it.

A season on what our players are getting paid would make me pretty financially secure, thank you very much. There again unlike most footballers I live in the real world.

If you can call what’s happening all around us real!

Edited by DavesaRam

23 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Isn't this thread what they call a straw man argument?

Distorting what was said in the first place to enable an attack to be launched over something that was never stated only in the person's imagination making the attack?

I'm no expert despite the fact that I've been accused of this in the past....

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8695288

"Thommo (Liam Thompson) played but we only had two senior centre midfielders who were fit really," he said.

"If anything happens to a Conor or Korey then I am going to a Robbo who is 18 bless him.

"If you look at the teams who have gone up historically, the teams virtually have two people in each position."

7 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8695288

"Thommo (Liam Thompson) played but we only had two senior centre midfielders who were fit really," he said.

"If anything happens to a Conor or Korey then I am going to a Robbo who is 18 bless him.

"If you look at the teams who have gone up historically, the teams virtually have two people in each position."

This thread was constructed around the imminent signing of a player, you've provided a useful quote but I can't see any relation to this unless I'm missing something?

14 minutes ago, Oldben said:

How big a small squad would that be?

24 minutes ago, Oldben said:

He clearly doesn't see Thompson as a first team squad member, just someone to help make up the numbers. Same would apply to Rooney based on the evidence so far.

Hourihane, Smith, Bird and Thompson ARE his 2 people in each CM position. Understandably, we're a tad short for 25+% of the season due to Bird's injury, but this is why you have a top class academy. For youngsters to step in for a few games here and there to plug the gaps. 

Signing another CM would free up Thompson (and Bird when fit) to help Sibley in the AM role, so whilst a signing is required, the point regarding usage of young players still stands.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How big a small squad would that be?

I thought pw was just saying, he needs a bigger team than he's got now. That the teams not strong enough to achieve a promotion if through injury, pw is forced to depend on 18 year old players. Pw wish list is to have strength in depth. For what ever reason he's not been given the the funding to bring in the strongest/best players or even extra players to improve squad depth.

He admits midfield is an area he wants to strengthen.

He sees the fans getting frustrated with him, but feels its not his fault as the squad lacks depth ... that's my view.

I wonder if we will not see a promotion push this season, but will see one next season when the efl financial restrictions are removed to a large extent.

To improve the squad money needs to be spent. We haven't challenged for the best available players for some reason this summer, I assume its due to financial restrictions.

Even if we are promoted we would need to spend money bringing in better players to keep us in the Championship ... my view.

3 minutes ago, Oldben said:

To improve the squad money needs to be spent. We haven't challenged for the best available players for some reason this summer, I assume its due to financial restrictions.

But last season with a cobbled together squad we (according to Warne) failed when we achieved 7th place. 

What is happening this season compared to last?

Whatever way you spin it and wherever you attribute your blame, the present squad (even without the injuries) and the management of it falls short of the standards required for automatic promotion, or even a comfortable position within the playoffs if asked to play the style of football the manager wants when looking at the attributes in the squad, which is what we've stated (on multiple times and by multiple people) we're aiming for.

It could all look very different in a week and a bit but currently we look to be in a bit of a mess and with no obvious solution (or at least none solution which doesn't cause problems elsewhere - even/especially changing managers), which will require some VERY good management to get out of, but we seem to have neither a clear plan or any reason to truly believe that we're in a position to get what we need to achieve our aims.

We really shouldn't have been in this position after all the optimism at the end of last season/ start of this, but what can you do? 

I am annoyed, and feel very downbeat about the season ahead, but can't see the point in picking everything and everyone apart anymore or raging at individuals, anayalyse their ever word in interviews (just the ones which educate us as to our tactical approach).

It's Derby County, they'll always let you down. 

I'll repeat a phrase I used a week or so ago, there's no way out but through. 

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 hours ago, jono said:

I have a feeling that as the window runs down we will see more players available. This is not to suggest we’ll be getting last pick as I am sure some will suggest. More to the point I suspect contracts are nothing like as generous as they were 3 years ago and a lot of players will be looking at pay cuts and therefore dither about signing either for their own reasons or their agents. 

It's a big game of poker.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

I thought pw was just saying, ...,........... For what ever reason he's not been given the the funding to bring in the strongest/best players or even extra players to improve squad depth.

He admits midfield is an area he wants to strengthen.

He sees the fans getting frustrated with him, but feels its not his fault as the squad lacks depth ... that's my view.

I wonder if we will not see a promotion push this season, but will see one next season when the efl financial restrictions are removed to a large extent.

My understanding, and one shared by the latest Ramswriter podcast I listened to today, is there are no real  EFL financial restrictions now.  Yes they may have had to sign off our business plan but that was done before Clowes said the budget is a good one especially compared to most of league 1.  It's possible we may still be paying off legacy debt from the Morris era and once that is cleared Clowes will be able to divert more to the team bit I don't think the EFL are holding us back now. 

6 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

My understanding, and one shared by the latest Ramswriter podcast I listened to today, is there are no real  EFL financial restrictions now.  Yes they may have had to sign off our business plan but that was done before Clowes said the budget is a good one especially compared to most of league 1.  It's possible we may still be paying off legacy debt from the Morris era and once that is cleared Clowes will be able to divert more to the team bit I don't think the EFL are holding us back now. 

Possibly, most administration periods are 2 years till fully discharged.  However, if so, restrictions would be in place regarding business spend till the agreed liability was discharged.  Basically, it would need to be paid quicker if the profitability was there and it doesn't prevent reasonable business upturn. No enhanced payments to directors, or in this case you can't spend 3 million you bring in for a player but the business needs a replacement so you can utilise a million to maintain performance at League 1 level. Weirdly, there may have been more room for manoeuvre in that scenario last season without the EFL's self imposed ruling as a one year relegation and back up would have been much more financially fruitful within a two year admin settlement.  After this summer they'll have their cash and won't give a poo regardless.