Where's this new midfielder?

oldtimeram

31 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Thompson is ok but tires easily.  Rooney maybe the same 

He has a small squad 

Tommo and Rooney aren't match fit? Lots of our squad tire easily it seems, why?

Warne likes a small squad, he's said so more than once.

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So when Warne was brought to the club I didn’t hear much sympathy for Rosenior 

Warne was first choice in the summer but we didn’t get him ( Robinson-at Oxford was second choice I think) so Rosinor got the acting position but if we hadn’t given out the acting position we wouldn’t have had players like McGoldrick Hourahan or Mendiz- Lang, Rooney etc 

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

What exactly is "unfounded and unsubstantiated"?  We're not talking about random internet rumours, it's stuff we can literally see happening on the pitch in front of us.

It’s isn’t pretty in Div 1. 
Unfounded and unsubstantiated because you are inferring Warne has problems in team selection and recruiting etc.   We don’t know this. 

16 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

So Warne having problems with transfers, team selection, tactics, in-game management and player development are all "nit-picking"? What do you actually think a managers job is, if none of that stuff is important?

I probably should've used a suitable emoji to highlight that I was joking.  😂

7 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Why the concern with a new midfield player, current tactics are to bypass midfield whenever we have possession.

Yes, so we need a really short one to make that easier. Obviously.

😉

58 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

We're 3 games into a 46 game season - if we are in a similar situation say by the end of October then perhaps more fans will be sharing the same concerns as a few in here currently are.

Last Saturdays' win, although not a particularly exciting or controlled performance, nevertheless brought 3 points and a clean sheet  - surely less of "a mess" than the previous week? Granted no new players in but the window is still open.

When we beat Burton 3-0. 

Erm.............

28 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Maybe next 2 away games will persuade you 

I posted (tongue a little bit in cheek) on another thread that for the equivalent fixtures last season we are actually ahead of points against those opponents last season (if you substitute Sheffield Wednesday for Wigan). We could lose to both Peterborough and Bolton and we'd still be even, relative to last year's fixtures, i.e. 6 points from the 18 available at home to Sheff W (1), Oxford (3), Fleetwood (0) and away to Burton (1), Peterborough (0) and Bolton (1). [I say all this without suggesting that last year's achievements should be the benchmark, although doing worse obviously wouldn't be good.]

It will be the manner of the next 2 away games almost as much as the results that will be important though. I feel a draw at either place right now would be something of an achievement, given we're not where we'd like to be personnel-wise and we rarely do well at Peterborough!

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It’s isn’t pretty in Div 1. 
Unfounded and unsubstantiated because you are inferring Warne has problems in team selection and recruiting etc.   We don’t know this. 

I can see with my own eyes that he keep selecting players, that he has recruited, to do jobs they appear not to be able to do.  

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

I can see with my own eyes that he keep selecting players, that he has recruited, to do jobs they appear not to be able to do.  

I remember when Brian Clough came to Derby he didn’t do well at first . In fact it was very average.

I am not saying Warne is equatable to the genius BC but Brian had money to spend. 
He bought Todd without telling Sam. longson.

I just feel Warne is being slammed for Rotherham where as Clough could of been over Hartlepool.

We need to give Warne a chance and the guy is a decent bloke 

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Well that's all very nice but you've missed a trick by not making it to the tune of "In the Navy" by the Village People.

Perhaps something along the lines of:

"In the buildiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Yes, pleasant chaps with pleasant beards

In the buildiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Yes, please don't listen to the jeers

Come on now people, sign a man

In the building

They don't need to play for Rotherham"

?

EDIT: Either way I look forward to your guitar and harmonica rendition of whichever you choose to use 😉

Although I feel we may be heading towards "Unsigned Melody"

Oh, my love, my darling,

I want to smell your neck,

a long, lonely time,

and the ball goes by slowly,

midfield can do so much,

are you still mine,

I need your sign

I need your sign

Godspeed your signing to me

Lonely agents lie, to the sea.....

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Although I feel we may be heading towards "Unsigned Melody"

Oh, my love, my darling,

I want to smell your neck,

a long, lonely time,

and the ball goes by slowly,

midfield can do so much,

are you still mine,

I need your sign

I need your sign

Godspeed your signing to me

Lonely agents lie, to the sea.....

It's time for your afternoon nap mate. And wear a hat in the sun won't you. 😄😉 

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I remember when Brian Clough came to Derby he didn’t do well at first . In fact it was very average.

I am not saying Warne is equatable to the genius BC but Brian had money to spend. 

I just feel Warne is being slammed for Rotherham where as Clough could of been over Hartlepool.

No amount of time is going to change what type of players these signings fundamentally are though.  Sonny Bradley will never turn into the mobile, comfortable-on-the-ball centre half that is needed to play in the spread back 3 we started the season out in, Elder will never be a progressive wingback that can beat a fullback and whip a cross in etc.

And as for "didn't do well at first", we're nearly a year into Warne's management.  People were willing to write off last season because he didn't have the players he wanted.  Well a year later he's signed a bunch of players, and they seem no more capable of playing Warne's system than the last lot were.  

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

No amount of time is going to change what type of players these signings fundamentally are though.  Sonny Bradley will never turn into the mobile, comfortable-on-the-ball centre half that is needed to play in the spread back 3 we started the season out in, Elder will never be a progressive wingback that can beat a fullback and whip a cross in etc.

And as for "didn't do well at first", we're nearly a year into Warne's management.  People were willing to write off last season because he didn't have the players he wanted.  Well a year later he's signed a bunch of players, and they seem no more capable of playing Warne's system than the last lot were.  

Ward and Bird injuries not helping along with Wilson 

Sibley and Barks also.

I will give Warne more time 

24 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Clough won 7 of his first 9 league games as manager (8 of first 10 in all competitions).