Where's this new midfielder?

oldtimeram

32 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

''Inability to keep quiet'' implies this wasn't a deliberate statement, which i'm saying it might have been. A carefully-worded, targeted comment placed in the public domain to try and expedite the transfer process. 

He can't come out and say ''I'm really annoyed Mark Thomas/Stephen Pearce aren't getting deals across the line'', but if he were trying to convey that sentiment in a more tactful manner, I'd argue what he has said would fit that brief? 

In what way does 'heads turned' 'cheap 30 year olds' seem more tactful? 😄 Perhaps wait until he'd got back to the office and then be tactful. 😄

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

In what way does 'heads turned' 'cheap 30 year olds' seem more tactful? 😄 Perhaps wait until he'd got back to the office and then be tactful. 😄

You're conflating other comments of his now, the 'heads turned' one I believe was a genuine attempt at honesty that backfired. But the '30 year olds' comment, which is the pertinent one we're discussing, I can't see anything wrong with: players of that age are cheaper, and I don't believe it's a big secret that a club needing a rebuild would prefer younger players, but this isn't always financially viable. Stating that obvious fact, I don't think is cause for criticism. That is just blunt honesty. 

2 hours ago, Justa said:

I’ve heard that Tyrese Fornah has passed a medical and should be announced shortly

There seems a lot of excitement about Fornah, but I haven't seen anything to get excited about. Yes he would be another body for the squad, but I don't see that he's better than what we have. A midfielder who poses very limited threat to the opposition. Which is why the gumps are happy to be shot of him. Mixed reviews from Reading last year - of the kind, "if only he could cut out the mistakes, he'd be decent". So this jury's out... 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There seems a lot of excitement about Fornah, but I haven't seen anything to get excited about. Yes he would be another body for the squad, but I don't see that he's better than what we have. A midfielder who poses very limited threat to the opposition. Which is why the gumps are happy to be shot of him. Mixed reviews from Reading last year - of the kind, "if only he could cut out the mistakes, he'd be decent". So this jury's out... 

Quite. I would wager 80% on here have no idea what he is like, including me. Mind you I hadn’t heard of Bradley, Nelson or Elder, so it might all work out well 😉

As long as he’s nice, and speaks well, that should be good enough.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It hurts to say this, but they are two leagues higher than us which could be a factor.

I have a feeling that as the window runs down we will see more players available. This is not to suggest we’ll be getting last pick as I am sure some will suggest. More to the point I suspect contracts are nothing like as generous as they were 3 years ago and a lot of players will be looking at pay cuts and therefore dither about signing either for their own reasons or their agents. 

52 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Quite. I would wager 80% on here have no idea what he is like, including me. Mind you I hadn’t heard of Bradley, Nelson or Elder, so it might all work out well 😉

As long as he’s nice, and speaks well, that should be good enough.

And has a beard, don’t forget the beard.🧔🏻🧔‍♀️

9 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

The problem with this is that it makes us look a bit shambolic.

If you tell somebody once to expect something, and it doesn't happen, it can be forgiven. But to repeat this on a few occasions, it is bound to create a negative picture, and cause fans to become a little disillusioned and distrusting

To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

Thought it might be useful to share the quotes from Warne pre-match on Friday;

"Hopefully I will have another player in the building for tomorrow. But I've said that many times.

We are bordering on agreeing and if we can get it done today then great.

I honestly don't think it will happen (before tomorrow). We need three or four signings. That is imperative to help the lads.

At the moment it is the same sort of players going out every game and we do need a much greater strength in depth. That is for certain. We are going to try."

Quotes taken from here;
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8689036?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#google_vignette

I mean it won’t actually be useful because people will pull this quote apart also. But my take from this was that Warne set fairly realistic expectations that we’re trying to sign a player, because he knows the squad needs strengthening, and it might take a bit more time to get it done.