Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

it’s more than that I’d say.  even if he’s in the right place too often he doesn’t stay with his man or he  commits too early and gets skinned. Looks really good moving forward with the ball tho

Every team in this league has players who need to learn and develop and that can only be done by playing and we have to invest playing time into the likes of Rooney and Tompson 

12 hours ago, angieram said:

We arrived at the ground Main Stand in 22 degrees, full sunshine and NO refreshments open. Were told they would open at 2.55, an hour later.

I played merry hell with the stewards (who, to be fair  were just following instructions). There was a young lad at the front of the stand feeling faint, but no drinking water available. 

Anyway, I demanded they sorted it out immediately, told them it was illegal and I was reporting it to the papers. 

After about 20 minutes of harassing them they finally opened up. 

A ridiculous state of affairs and the sooner football starts treating away fans as paying customers, we might start behaving like them! 

First off I know why you go to away games Angie...but why oh why do clubs like Peterboro exist?, With WestKentRams picture of the seats and your experience of getting refreshments is just another nail in the coffin for away fans in todays "money at any cost" and f*** the supporter, Pissing your money to vultures when you wouldn't have spent half as much for 2 people at the pictures and a good meal after for what you and yours spent yesterday, The result makes it worthwhile, The experience leaves a bad taste.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

We arrived at the ground Main Stand in 22 degrees, full sunshine and NO refreshments open. Were told they would open at 2.55, an hour later.

I played merry hell with the stewards (who, to be fair  were just following instructions). There was a young lad at the front of the stand feeling faint, but no drinking water available. 

Anyway, I demanded they sorted it out immediately, told them it was illegal and I was reporting it to the papers. 

After about 20 minutes of harassing them they finally opened up. 

A ridiculous state of affairs and the sooner football starts treating away fans as paying customers, we might start behaving like them! 

I've no idea, but I wonder what it's like at PP for away fans. Presume it's fine for the seating , but no idea about the concourse facilities.

Sat in the A block of the main stand, toilets bordering on primitive, refreshments non existent and the most uncomfortable minuscule 1950s wooden seats ever encountered!

But then again, a 4-2 win, great atmosphere, improved performance all round and a couple of promising young lads making their debuts……………..all in all a bloody good day out! 😁👍

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Got back to Brailsford at 7.30pm from the best away performance in my opinion since we won the play-off semi final at Elland Road 4-2.

We went in the pub and celebrated instead of drowning our sorrows as we often have. We needed a turning point and today may or maybe not be it. Great night.

Then I came home and read this thread and some of the s*** anti-Warne comments on it on this night of all nights. I wanted three points out of the away games at Peterborough and Bolton; we got that today and any points at Bolton will be now be a bonus. Just give the guy a chance for now and for those who want him out, let's resume this discussion at Christmas if it's still relevant by then. At the moment you're getting boring.

Is it worth reading it for when we go behind and the usual suspects appear to post their usual matchday garbage?

The difference in number of threads when we lose vs win is laughable.

Good opening 2 minutes then Posh got in the ascendancy. We gave them too much time and too much space. They won all the 2nd balls. No great surprise that they scored. That seemed to wake us up. We got closer, we moved, we pressed, we got the 2nd balls. We showed that we can play, that we have fight, that the squad is starting to gel. 4 first half goals including a Waggy hattrick, goals 2 to 4 coming in a wonderful 8 minute spell. Roons given a torrid time at the start but grew into it. Tommo again brilliant. Wildsmith was as busy as their keeper. There will be ups and downs along the way and it's a long hard season. Too soon to see patterns other than there are no certainties. Going into round 4 matches last week, Bolton and the Posh were the top 2. Posh have now lost 2 on the bounce and Bolton lost 0-4 at home to Wigan and only managed a draw at Burton. Fans need to get behind the team. Stop the myriad of "wrist slashing" type posts we saw when Posh scored. By HT they'd almost all been deleted. They should never have been written. Little wonder 442 labelled us as the biggest online moaners. We're supporters. Let's support. Let's be measured in our responses. Let us stop the knee jerk reactions when we concede with more than an hour still to play. No more moaning when the opposition has a good spell. They're not just going to lie down and let us walk over them. I suppose it's all indicative of the instant society in which we live. In reality, things are never a 1 or a 10 but somewhere in between.

A word about the ref. He let a lot go, from both sides. He seemed to have decided to let the game flow rather than stop it at every opportunity. That had the pleasant side effect of there being less chance for players to delay restarts. Could well have booked Rooney but let play go on and it was a good 2 minutes before play stopped and he didn't "go back" and give the card he probably should have given.

Watching the highlights back was a lovely way to start the day. A couple of the same worries to start with as we seemed to do our best to create opportunities for them with poor ball retention and hasty attempts to clear. Then Posh’s first owes as much to their strengths as it did to our deficiencies, Clarke-Harris does what good strikers at this (or any) level do, he bullies Cashin (think he’s picked Cashin to play off rather than Nelson) and shows good hold up play as well as the movement to get on the end of a dangerous cross into that “corridor of uncertainty” from the 10. 
All of our goals have good moments of play to enjoy. The first comes from good build up down the left starting with Cashin playing it out to Fozzy and Thommo to work the opportunity for the cross, and even with the slight deflection I think the reverse angle showed it would have been heading into that bit of space Waggy had found, he did well to adjust and sweep it home.

The second was a great header by Cashin on the back of a set piece earned by good counter attacking involving Waggy and Hourihane. Good assist from NML.

The third comes from sustained pressure, another set piece leads to NML’s, erm….optimistic shot, with Waggy showing great anticipation to nick a yard and toe it home. Flukey assist from NML 😂 

The fourth starts with Rooney winning the ball back from Mason-Clark, coming out on top of that particular moment in their head to head battle. NML does well to dig out a cross and it’s good CF play by Washington to touch it back to Hourihane who’s pass to Waghorn was perfectly weighted for him to strike sweetly into the top corner.

They had chances, but as one of the more fancied sides in the league, playing at home you’d expect them to. I know it’s early in the season and we shouldn’t get carried away much the same as we shouldn’t get too down after bad performances, what I’ll say is yesterday was a very good away win against a strong side for the division. It’s something to build on, 2 wins on the spin, 2 away wins for the season with 7 goals scored, some strong individual performances, and another week to build on the training ground. Over to Warne and co to build more momentum, hoping the additions to the squad help in that regard. 🐏 

23 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Good opening 2 minutes then Posh got in the ascendancy. We gave them too much time and too much space. They won all the 2nd balls. No great surprise that they scored. That seemed to wake us up. We got closer, we moved, we pressed, we got the 2nd balls. We showed that we can play, that we have fight, that the squad is starting to gel. 4 first half goals including a Waggy hattrick, goals 2 to 4 coming in a wonderful 8 minute spell. Roons given a torrid time at the start but grew into it. Tommo again brilliant. Wildsmith was as busy as their keeper. There will be ups and downs along the way and it's a long hard season. Too soon to see patterns other than there are no certainties. Going into round 4 matches last week, Bolton and the Posh were the top 2. Posh have now lost 2 on the bounce and Bolton lost 0-4 at home to Wigan and only managed a draw at Burton. Fans need to get behind the team. Stop the myriad of "wrist slashing" type posts we saw when Posh scored. By HT they'd almost all been deleted. They should never have been written. Little wonder 442 labelled us as the biggest online moaners. We're supporters. Let's support. Let's be measured in our responses. Let us stop the knee jerk reactions when we concede with more than an hour still to play. No more moaning when the opposition has a good spell. They're not just going to lie down and let us walk over them. I suppose it's all indicative of the instant society in which we live. In reality, things are never a 1 or a 10 but somewhere in between.

A word about the ref. He let a lot go, from both sides. He seemed to have decided to let the game flow rather than stop it at every opportunity. That had the pleasant side effect of there being less chance for players to delay restarts. Could well have booked Rooney but let play go on and it was a good 2 minutes before play stopped and he didn't "go back" and give the card he probably should have given.

It's quite sad but I deliberately avoided the matchday thread yesterday when I saw we were one nil down on the BBC Sports app as I could imagine the feeding frenzy by the usual suspects, which has since been confirmed by other posters.

Only went back when I saw we were 4-1 up. 

Was a novelty not seeing another duplicate thread spring up on a Saturday evening. Am sure that will all change if we lose against Bolton. 

The press was the most effective it’s been yesterday second half. Which was nice as it meant that Posh rarely looked like troubling us. 
Their goal shows we’re still so vulnerable in the transition and we can’t just inject pace into every player so something for the staff to try and solve. 

Waghorn is brilliant. Was always going to be a great addition at this level. Thompson is showing Hourihane and Smith the bravery needed to get the team on the front foot. 

TJJ and Fornah looked good when they came on but we were 3 goals up by that point so it’ll be good to see them coming on in a closer match. TJJ looks to be such a good focal point. Think if he stays fit he could be a monster. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's quite sad but I deliberately avoided the matchday thread yesterday when I saw we were one nil down on the BBC Sports app as I could imagine the feeding frenzy by the usual suspects, which has since been confirmed by other posters.

Only went back when I saw we were 4-1 up. 

Was a novelty not seeing another duplicate thread spring up on a Saturday evening. Am sure that will all change if we lose against Bolton. 

It’s not losses it’s bad performances that people take issue with. 

If Bolton beat us 1-0 in a tightly contested game where we really compete then I’d be shocked to see any new threads started. If Bolton walk over us and we offer nothing but a whimper then yeah I’d imagine there will be posts questioning PW… 

19 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Awful that. Just so so awful. 

Where was our team? 
Cash bullied off the ball For the second time today. 

Posh fully deserve it. If they’re pushing for top 2 then we’re a long way off that standard. 

You posted this immediately after Peterborough took the lead. Have you made any revision of your conclusion since? Just asking.

Just had a look at the posts. The mods don't go around deleting posts for no reason, so unless there was anything personal toward the manager everything that was posted is still there.

Mostly just people bemoaning the quality of our play to that point, the poor defending and the ease at which Peterborough were going through midfield. A couple of suggestions as to what we could do to stop them coming at us.

I think that's called... accurately  observing and discussing what had happened in the game to that point. Heaven forbid.

In addition there are a couple of people questioning how such good players were looking like poor players, and a couple of sarcy comments about how the players are being managed, but not really anything that would come close to being considered 'wrist slashing' by anyone without an agenda to stir up division.

I propose that we stop having match threads that stay open during the course of the game. Pre and post game comments only in future, so nobody can embarrass themselves by having natural human reactions to unfolding events.

20 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

The press was the most effective it’s been yesterday second half. Which was nice as it meant that Posh rarely looked like troubling us. 
Their goal shows we’re still so vulnerable in the transition and we can’t just inject pace into every player so something for the staff to try and solve. 

Waghorn is brilliant. Was always going to be a great addition at this level. Thompson is showing Hourihane and Smith the bravery needed to get the team on the front foot. 

TJJ and Fornah looked good when they came on but we were 3 goals up by that point so it’ll be good to see them coming on in a closer match. TJJ looks to be such a good focal point. Think if he stays fit he could be a monster. 

I think Collins is now down the pecking order for the starting eleven 

16 hours ago, HedgeEnder said:

I only moved south on joining the Royal Navy and flitted between Plymouth and Portsmouth. Now that I have finally retired the current house is up for sale and I am moving back to Derby. The 160 mile drive for home games is becoming a of a pain.

I spent a couple of seasons in that neck of the woods in my yoof. Was based at Bulford Camp from 85-87

Even had a very unsuccesful trial at Salisbury Town FC. 
Short weekend with duty involved then Amesbury was our night out and longer weekends we hit the high spots of Salisbury. Occasionally got to the Dell as a couple of my squaddie mates were Saints fans and took me along. Dont know if I dreamt this but I might have been there for Matt Le Tissier debut.

Anyway… fun days and lovely part of England.