Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

11 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Okay. Waghorn has given us that up front but you were vehemently opposed to his return on the grounds he just wasn't good enough. Are you still of the same opinion?

I didn’t want him as the main option. I still wouldn’t given a choice. He’s certainly better than Collins. 

4 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I was at the game. In the opening 20 minutes, in respect of open play I thought Peterborough edged it largely because of the threat of Mason-Clark down the left; he's a good winger and soon destined for the Championship I think one way or another. He'll cause problems for most right backs in this division and it was his assist that laid on the opening goal. But for all that, it was the first chance Peterborough had in the game whereas, Derby had gone close twice when Waghorn put one wide and their keeper had scrambled a shot away on the line. There were no tweaks or changes, Derby just carried on as they were and it all came good in 20 minutes of attacking play which put the game out of Peterborough's reach. Two convincing away wins, no booing of the team, maybe at the minute the team feels less pressure on the road than at home. Only they know.

Apart from the shot from Clark Harris that Wildsmith saved! 

21 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

But  I'd suggest you are ok yourself being critical of others - so it's a two-way thing.

I'd say the difference is that I'm only reacting to posts which have sought solely to criticise other users for their opinions, rather than being the instigator of any criticism of others.

A case of 'well he started it' perhaps,  but it's true nonetheless that I wouldn't feel the need to post in this manner if there weren't posters out there who's sole aim is to pick fights.

I have no innate desire to criticise other posters.

Edited by Kokosnuss

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's an interesting comment,  because everyone used to say that the ball bounced off Waggy, too.

Can it be taught or is it a confidence issue?

Asking because I have never played football. 

Having a circular thing that's the shape of a football coming at you at different speeds can and will cause an issue with some players, The more gifted and technical player can bring a ball down in the bat of an eye and be away quicker than a shoplifter out of the door.

The lower down the pyramid the player is the less likely to be as good as the above...but not all 

So can it be taught...it sure can, Is it a confidence issue...you'll have to ask any ball jugular performing in a circus...they have no issue ☺️

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's an interesting comment,  because everyone used to say that the ball bounced off Waggy, too.

I think it's really interesting as Waggy has returned looking super skillful in a way he simply didn't before. All three goals yesterday showed a lot of quality and finesse. The previous game when he trapped Washington's shot stone dead then swept the ball in was another eye-opener. And he's no spring chicken, so can you really teach an old dog?

My take from playing at a half-decent level is that everyone must have a reasonable amount of skill, but it is much more about confidence. When I started this reply I somehow skipped over your middle line and was going to say this anyway. I remember times when I was really enjoying my football and often knew I was going to score as the ball was coming to me, and did things I would never have done if not on form. A goal like Waggy's first with the delicate touch into the far corner which the keeper would never have anticipated, or burying the ball from a narrow angle with your weaker foot. When you're really confident, you think you just can't miss and you also raise your game to another level.

Long may it continue!

15 hours ago, angieram said:

We arrived at the ground Main Stand in 22 degrees, full sunshine and NO refreshments open. Were told they would open at 2.55, an hour later.

I played merry hell with the stewards (who, to be fair  were just following instructions). There was a young lad at the front of the stand feeling faint, but no drinking water available. 

Anyway, I demanded they sorted it out immediately, told them it was illegal and I was reporting it to the papers. 

After about 20 minutes of harassing them they finally opened up. 

A ridiculous state of affairs and the sooner football starts treating away fans as paying customers, we might start behaving like them! 

3 hours ago, The Last Post said:

First off I know why you go to away games Angie...but why oh why do clubs like Peterboro exist?, With WestKentRams picture of the seats and your experience of getting refreshments is just another nail in the coffin for away fans in todays "money at any cost" and f*** the supporter, Pissing your money to vultures when you wouldn't have spent half as much for 2 people at the pictures and a good meal after for what you and yours spent yesterday, The result makes it worthwhile, The experience leaves a bad taste.

'Posh' seems a rather unfortunate soubriquet from the sound of things.

39 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You still wouldn’t want him 🤔 That’s a shame 😊

You missed the rest of my sentence conveniently there. As the main option. He’s shown himself a valuable option, and if it is a straight choice between him and Collins then there’s no choice to make.

He’s shown more than I expected so far, admittedly, but let’s see him keep up his effectiveness for a bit yet - albeit, obviously, he can’t possibly score at this rate forever!

38 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think the manner in which we are playing football suits Waghorn, probably in the same way it suited Didzy. 

Waghorn may have returned to us realising, now he’s older, he can not longer rely on his pace. Waghorn appears to be using his experience and skill to offset his previous pace/physical presence he now has a more considered/tactical approach to his game.

He is still no slouch but appears to understand he needs to manage his busts of pace.

So far I like this new Waghorn long may it continue.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I know we shouldn’t get carried away but, my god you’re negative. What are you like after a defeat? 😀

what am i like after a defeat?..normal because i'm used to it, and probably thousands of others are..ive watched some brilliant teams this club have assembled down the years..a bit of clough's team, mackay, cox, and jim smiths teams were all what you call teams and gave great entertainment and joy..i'm older now and you tend to get more negative than positive as time moves on..this club like any other has no divine right to success, so call me negative as much as you like because the next few matches will show whether it was a flash in the pan or not. 

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Good opening 2 minutes then Posh got in the ascendancy. We gave them too much time and too much space. They won all the 2nd balls. No great surprise that they scored. That seemed to wake us up. We got closer, we moved, we pressed, we got the 2nd balls. We showed that we can play, that we have fight, that the squad is starting to gel. 4 first half goals including a Waggy hattrick, goals 2 to 4 coming in a wonderful 8 minute spell. Roons given a torrid time at the start but grew into it. Tommo again brilliant. Wildsmith was as busy as their keeper. There will be ups and downs along the way and it's a long hard season. Too soon to see patterns other than there are no certainties. Going into round 4 matches last week, Bolton and the Posh were the top 2. Posh have now lost 2 on the bounce and Bolton lost 0-4 at home to Wigan and only managed a draw at Burton. Fans need to get behind the team. Stop the myriad of "wrist slashing" type posts we saw when Posh scored. By HT they'd almost all been deleted. They should never have been written. Little wonder 442 labelled us as the biggest online moaners. We're supporters. Let's support. Let's be measured in our responses. Let us stop the knee jerk reactions when we concede with more than an hour still to play. No more moaning when the opposition has a good spell. They're not just going to lie down and let us walk over them. I suppose it's all indicative of the instant society in which we live. In reality, things are never a 1 or a 10 but somewhere in between.

A word about the ref. He let a lot go, from both sides. He seemed to have decided to let the game flow rather than stop it at every opportunity. That had the pleasant side effect of there being less chance for players to delay restarts. Could well have booked Rooney but let play go on and it was a good 2 minutes before play stopped and he didn't "go back" and give the card he probably should have given.

Totally agree with this post. 

However, whoever / whatever 442 is, they obviously haven't visited the Oatcake Fanzine forum - those Stoke fans are the vilest, most foul-mouthed bunch of scrotes who have ever lived on this Earth. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Apart from the shot from Clark Harris that Wildsmith saved! 

It wasn't a shot. It was a good cross from Clarke-Harris which Wildsmith palmed away to prevent Mason-Clark from being presented with a chance. 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Was it just me or did warne give the impression that we were poss looking to get tjj on permanent if the 6 month loan works out ?

He sure did.

Guess it's a chance for us to see if he can stay fit, and for him to see how he settles in and whether he wants to make it permanent himself.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I do think it's important to note that Waghorn has never played at this level before. So I think a couple things could be going on in conjunction.

At this level a less than great touch is less likely to lead to immediate dispossession, so someone like Waghorn who may occasionally take a bad touch is less likely to get punished especially as he's a physical player who can fend off an amount of pressure.

Space is also easier to come by and defenders worse, meaning more scoring opportunities and more opportunity to affect the game than he's used to.

And that's the key thing because this isn't what he's been used to, now playing in it is likely to breed a real sense of confidence in him. With confidence it means he's less likely to overthink a pass into him or overthink a chance to score.

48 minutes ago, OwdGladysHinton said:

what am i like after a defeat?..normal because i'm used to it, and probably thousands of others are..ive watched some brilliant teams this club have assembled down the years..a bit of clough's team, mackay, cox, and jim smiths teams were all what you call teams and gave great entertainment and joy..i'm older now and you tend to get more negative than positive as time moves on..this club like any other has no divine right to success, so call me negative as much as you like because the next few matches will show whether it was a flash in the pan or not. 

Ah, so you're actually coming around to my way of thinking?

First you described yesterday's game as a one off. Then you said let's see after the Bolton game. Now you're saying the next few matches will show if it was a flash in the pan or not.

Like you, I have been supporting the Rams for a very long time (my first season ticket was in the 70's in the pop side season ticket holders pen) and have experienced the good, the bad and the ugly. I also agree that we have no divine right to success (I have never suggested we have). I just found it somewhat depressing that, instead of celebrating a good result against a fancied team, you seemed to have immediately written it off as a one off. You may well be proved right but let's enjoy the moment and, as you are now saying, see how we perform over the next few games.