Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Thought the ref was excellent yesterday. 👍😂

spacer.png

True. Reminded me of the good days when football was played by men and good hard tackling was allowed. He key a lot go that most other refs would have stopped the game for and the match was all the better for it. He let both sides get on with it.

Red card to Ferguson was just the cherry on the cake .

3 hours ago, sage said:

It was correct at the time. We were awful for 25 minutes, our first goal changed the game for 25 minutes. 

This harassing of other posters is getting ridiculous. 

Totally agree. People have differing  opinions and this shouting down of posters belittles what the forum us about in my view. I don’t want a cancel culture……we can disagree by all means but let’s do it with respect .

3 hours ago, Srg said:

You missed the rest of my sentence conveniently there. As the main option. He’s shown himself a valuable option, and if it is a straight choice between him and Collins then there’s no choice to make.

He’s shown more than I expected so far, admittedly, but let’s see him keep up his effectiveness for a bit yet - albeit, obviously, he can’t possibly score at this rate forever!

I thought he was a great signing at this level when he signed and still do 😊

9 minutes ago, caymanram said:

To be fair at the time of posting we were a total shambles and it looked like a possible thumping was in store…. U post as u see things at the time 

I love reading match threads after we've won, especially if we've had a shaky start and/or gone behind.

So much hysteria - so much entertainment.

/why, yes, I am a bit of a saddo at times.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's just interesting that after a half decent result yesterday afternoon we didn't see reciprocated the same number of threads starting with I know there's already another thread on this subject but......

As a log time viewer I've noticed that a lot too, the same happens on many other clubs forums but then there are some clubs whose forums seem busy when they are doing well quiet when they are not doing very well.

The reasoning:

If you are a club who has a decent squad, your fans are expecting you to get results, so they will naturally moan if their expectations aren't met, we have several very good players at the club which is bound to raise the expectations.

If you are a club who are err, 'punching' and doing well on a smaller budget, your fans are more patient and don't moan because they understand the players/management will already be down at a bad result.

Our relegation from the Championship is a good example, despite losing and getting closer to relegation, fans tried to remain positive and supportive of the players and management.

Personally, I'm patient, things need time to gel, if we lose, nothing I post on here is going to make a bit of difference to the players, management or board, same for when we win but well done to the players and management for getting 3 points yesterday against a team who are seasoned top sixers.

Edited by Ken

5 hours ago, sage said:

It was correct at the time. We were awful for 25 minutes, our first goal changed the game for 25 minutes. 

This harassing of other posters is getting ridiculous. 

There are clear guidelines about harassment on this forum.

Prohibited content include "Content that harasses"

I would expect the content to have been removed and the poster given a warning if it were harassment. 

1 hour ago, caymanram said:

True. Reminded me of the good days when football was played by men and good hard tackling was allowed. He key a lot go that most other refs would have stopped the game for and the match was all the better for it. He let both sides get on with it.

Red card to Ferguson was just the cherry on the cake .

The ref does seem to have done pretty well. Even this bit from the Peterborough local paper (which is a good read about the match) agreed:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-played-a-big-part-in-a-great-game-but-now-face-a-nervous-week-and-why-are-we-booing-former-players-4270238

and says (for those who'll complain about the link and the ads):

"Referee Smith was excellent yesterday and it’s baffling what upset Ferguson so much he was shown two yellow cards in quick succession. The second appeared to be brandished because he sarcastically applauded the first caution with a zealous fourth official eager to dob the boss in, but it would have been good to hear Ferguson’s version of events. Sadly daft EFL rules ban red-carded managers from conducting post-match press conferences which is more of a reward than a punishment for a manager with tough questions to answer."

8 hours ago, The Last Post said:

First off I know why you go to away games Angie...but why oh why do clubs like Peterboro exist?, With WestKentRams picture of the seats and your experience of getting refreshments is just another nail in the coffin for away fans in todays "money at any cost" and f*** the supporter, Pissing your money to vultures when you wouldn't have spent half as much for 2 people at the pictures and a good meal after for what you and yours spent yesterday, The result makes it worthwhile, The experience leaves a bad taste.

They don’t let you stand up at the pictures though 😉.

7 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

The post you’re referring to happened to be spot on at that time. Should he/she have put COYR after?

we need to be realistic. There were several excellent performances yesterday and the new signings gave cause for optimism.  But on goals we lost the second half - we didn’t manage the game well after a stunning spell in the first half, we let the madness continue -  and on several occasions we looked very ragged at the back. Two clearances off the line (or was it 3?) The uncertainty around Cashin does not help but we will have little chance of automatics without continued improvement at the back 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

we need to be realistic. There were several excellent performances yesterday and the new signings gave cause for optimism.  But on goals we lost the second half - we didn’t manage the game well after a stunning spell in the first half, we let the madness continue -  and on several occasions we looked very ragged at the back. Two clearances off the line (or was it 3?) The uncertainty around Cashin does not help but we will have little chance of automatics without continued improvement at the back 

I was quite nervous after about 60 mins. Felt our initial subs let them know we were happy to try and defend whereas they looked more nervous of conceding the 5th at that point. However, I just watched back from 80 mins (when we put the two new lads on) and most of the time was spent in the Peterborough half. I was probably more nervous cos you’re never quite sure how dangerous a ball is watching from the other end of the pitch. Even after they scored, the ball was mostly in their half. So basically, we needed more control between approx 60 and 80 mins imo. 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Will we be deducted points for losing the second half, if not I’ll settle for the same score line every week.

35 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I expect us to score more goals without Bird passing sideways and back. As I have always expected Warne to turn the early results around.

It’s a shame he’s injured. I’d love to see him in the middle with Thompson and Fornah, with Smith and Hourihane rotated