Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

It’s a shame he’s injured. I’d love to see him in the middle with Thompson and Fornah, with Smith and Hourihane rotated 

Sadly I don't expect that to happen because it would mean Warne putting his love child on the bench.

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

we need to be realistic. There were several excellent performances yesterday and the new signings gave cause for optimism.  But on goals we lost the second half - we didn’t manage the game well after a stunning spell in the first half, we let the madness continue -  and on several occasions we looked very ragged at the back. Two clearances off the line (or was it 3?) The uncertainty around Cashin does not help but we will have little chance of automatics without continued improvement at the back 

With a 3 goal lead, an away team will often lose the second half. A late consolation goal is nothing to justify moistening one's underwear. Get real!

18 hours ago, sage said:

Very open even game in which we finished better and we had a bit of rub.

Hope this will give the players some confidence to provide a good performance at both ends of the pitch. 

I didn’t see the game but rub of the green really does play a part. We haven’t had it much in recent times it feels. Those moments when the ball is bouncing wildly and somehow always lands on their players toe. The ball just going the wrong side of the corner flag, the half slip so the lovely pass doesn’t come off and the 50/50 free kick decisions that could for or against. I am biased, as we all are up to a point, but still think the balance has been against us. Great on Saturday that it swung the other way 🐏

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

With a 3 goal lead, an away team will often lose the second half. A late consolation goal is nothing to justify moistening one's underwear. Get real!

my point was about game management (and my underwear is freshly laundered, crisp and dry): we let the madness continue - end to end stuff where anything can happen (especially if you’ve got a CF who is on fire). As it was, their goal came too late. But if they’d had some good fortune in front of goal early on in the second half (assisted by our shaky defending) the home crowd would have woken up and things could have been different. I’d like to have seen us change things at half time, make it harder for them to find the form they showed in the first 25 mins. Collins on earlier too

17 hours ago, caymanram said:

True. Reminded me of the good days when football was played by men and good hard tackling was allowed. He key a lot go that most other refs would have stopped the game for and the match was all the better for it. He let both sides get on with it.

Red card to Ferguson was just the cherry on the cake .

he kept giving throws and goal kicks the wrong way after big deflections - seemed unable to see them

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

my point was about game management (and my underwear is freshly laundered, crisp and dry): we let the madness continue - end to end stuff where anything can happen (especially if you’ve got a CF who is on fire). As it was, their goal came too late. But if they’d had some good fortune in front of goal early on in the second half (assisted by our shaky defending) the home crowd would have woken up and things could have been different. I’d like to have seen us change things at half time, make it harder for them to find the form they showed in the first 25 mins. Collins on earlier too

If you’re three goals up at half time you’re obviously doing something right, why would you look to change it, especially without the benefit of hindsight.

21 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

If you’re three goals up at half time you’re obviously doing something right, why would you look to change it, especially without the benefit of hindsight.

it’s a fair question. All about probabilities I guess. As much as anything I’m hoping to see Warne influencing games more from the bench this season and I’d have been  encouraged to see him try to bank the 3 points by ending the end to end stuff. A safer route I’d say. 

On reflection, it’s perhaps foolish to say this now, given the result. Not having the benefit of hindsight will doubtless remain a constant source of irritation 🙂 

Edited by kevinhectoring

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

it’s a fair question. All about probabilities I guess. As much as anything I’m hoping to see Warne influencing games more from the bench this season and I’d have been  encouraged to see him try to bank the 3 points by ending the end to end stuff. A safer route I’d say. 

On reflection, it’s perhaps foolish to say this now, given the result. Not having the benefit of hindsight will doubtless remain a constant source of irritation 🙂 

I would have been perfectly happy with same again and a result of 8-2 😂

21 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The thing I picked up on was the earlier comment regards stopping the end to end stuff especially if you have a cf who’s on fire ,,, do you mean waghorn? If so then carry on the end to end stuff , he’s blowing them away🤷🏻‍♂️

Pinched from The Posh forum regards “the library” aka London Road.

Posh fan number 1 If you want the atmosphere of London road then go in london road.
If you want better seats and facilities then go in the other stands, you don't get both at posh

Posh fan number 2 Just to be clear the seats are actually quite painful in main stand and the facilities are s**t  too.

………………yep, shabby chic, spot on Posh fan number 2 😂👍

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.cda28679180a0affbd35c3feeaf8cb92.jpeg

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The thing I picked up on was the earlier comment regards stopping the end to end stuff especially if you have a cf who’s on fire ,,, do you mean waghorn? If so then carry on the end to end stuff , he’s blowing them away🤷🏻‍♂️

(yes I meant Waggy. ) 2-8 would of course have been even more wonderful. But what we actually wanted was a boring second half, for some of the OAPs to be rested and for the two signings to have an easy debut. OK we got the latter (and I thought their introduction was well timed). But we found ourselves sliced open at the back several times and clearing the ball off the line on multiple occasions. Continuing the open, breaking game gave Posh their best shot at 4-4.

I know there are arguments to the contrary. But I would like to have seen Warne execute that sort of game management. 

11 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

They hit the bar and had 3 cleared off the line. There was an element of doggedness but also an element of getting away with it and a genuine area for improvement. Despite what Warne said after the game, they will look at that and seek to improve.  

On 27/08/2023 at 14:41, Wolfie20 said:

Totally agree with this post. 

However, whoever / whatever 442 is, they obviously haven't visited the Oatcake Fanzine forum - those Stoke fans are the vilest, most foul-mouthed bunch of scrotes who have ever lived on this Earth. 

442 (Four Four Two) is a monthly football magazine that's been in existence for over 25 years

On 26/08/2023 at 21:42, angieram said:

We arrived at the ground Main Stand in 22 degrees, full sunshine and NO refreshments open. Were told they would open at 2.55, an hour later.

I played merry hell with the stewards (who, to be fair  were just following instructions). There was a young lad at the front of the stand feeling faint, but no drinking water available. 

Anyway, I demanded they sorted it out immediately, told them it was illegal and I was reporting it to the papers. 

After about 20 minutes of harassing them they finally opened up. 

A ridiculous state of affairs and the sooner football starts treating away fans as paying customers, we might start behaving like them! 

This is why we all love you Angie.