Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

Date: Saturday 26th August, 3PM

Venue: Weston Homes Stadium

Form Guide: Peterborough have started the season well as they aim to put their playoff nightmare from last season behind them. Their 1-0 defeat at Northampton ended the 100% record they opened up with in their first three matches. Impressive wins at Reading (1-0) and Barnsley (3-1) came either side of a 1-0 success over Charlton in their only home match to date. Nine points out of twelve sees them handily placed in third position albeit just three points ahead of ourselves.

Danger Men: Mason-Clark, Poku and Clarke-Harris are perhaps the trio most likely to get on the scoresheet. Often the most free-scoring (and conceding) of teams at this level, it is perhaps a surprise that their four matches thus far have only yielded seven goals in total (scored five, conceded two). Their current top scorer this season is midfielder Kyprianou with two.

Rams vs Posh History: The two clubs didn't meet competitively until 1963 and it was another decade until the second clash between the sides. Both those matches were FA Cup games and were both won by Derby.

The clubs first met in a league fixture on the opening day of the 1992/93 season when heavily fancied Derby lost 1-0 at London Road. Posh completed the double over us that season with a 3-2 success at the Baseball Ground, a victory which remains their only win on Derby soil.

This is a fixture in which the home side has largely dominated. Only 14 league games have been played with near-identical records for the teams.

Rams Record vs Posh

Home:  P 7   W 5   D 1   L 1    F 13  A 7

Away:   P 7   W 1   D 1   L 5    F 8  A 13

Six wins for each team then with a couple of draws thrown in. Derby are looking to avoid a fifth straight defeat away to Peterborough, with the Rams conceding ten goals in those last four visits. 

Derby's only victory on Peterborough territory came courtesy of a 3-0 win in January 2010 with the goals being a Steve Davies penalty followed by a brace from DJ Campbell. 

Derby Team News: It would be a tough call predicting the XI Paul Warne selects as - to the best of my knowledge - there are injury doubts about Joe Ward, Kane Wilson, Max Bird and Tom Barkhuizen. There is also the possibility of transfers this week. Whatever the personnel available, most Derby fans will be expecting Liam Thompson and Jake Rooney to be given the chance to further showcase their abilities after both added plenty to the overall Derby performance against Fleetwood. The feelgood factor watching the younger Rams play well was the biggest boost I left the ground with today and hopefully next to get league minutes will be Dajaune Brown. To that end, a spot on the bench for him at Posh would be lovely please Mr Warne.

Summary: This is a tough match and if I'm still rolling for the trip to Bolton which follows then I'll be pleasantly surprised. We shouldn't fear anyone in this division but I think it's fair to acknowledge that Peterborough are a more settled team than us right now and that a draw - and especially another improved performance - would represent a decent return as well as ending that four-match run of defeats in this particular fixture.

Edited by Rampant

I was frustrated and disappointed leaving the ground on Tuesday. It sounded slightly better yesterday - a win fixes a lot of problems. However, I actually think Warne’s team looks better set up away from home. The 5 at the back can play slightly more defensive, and look to soak some pressure (3 CB’s who want to win the ball and get rid by nature).

At home, where we’re expected to have the ball more, it looks clunky and doesn’t work. But away from home, his style probably suits it more. We’ve only had 1 test run, and it was against a poor Burton, but we’ve got a 100% away record. Got to be worth something!?

It’s VERY early days, but 4 of our first 6 league games are against sides that have won 3 of their first 4 matches. Adjusting for Wigan’s points deduction, we will have played the first, third, fourth and fifth placed teams in the current league table. Obviously the table will shuffle and settle over time, but it draws into focus just how tough our starting fixtures are.

That tough start is no excuse for poor results though. On the contrary, playing teams that are expected to be around us at the top come May means we need positive results even more.

I think I’m right in saying that last season we didn’t win a single away fixture against any of the teams that finished in the top 14. That obviously has to be an area of improvement if we want to push for promotion. In my opinion, this away double header (P’Boro and Bolton) is the first real litmus test for this group. It’s going to be a really tough assignment- we’ve just lost three to injury (albeit only two starters) and even with reinforcements possibly arriving in the week, they are highly unlikely to be settled or fit enough to have a major impact on the next two fixtures. 

This is where the players and staff earn their money. I’m hopeful. I’m fascinated to see how it plays out.

Wildsmith  

Rooney Nelson Cash Forsyth 

Smith 

Thompson Hourihane 

NML Washington Waghorn  

Think her Elder on for Forsyth as soon as he looks a bit leggy. Get Sibley on for Washington and switch Waggy upfront until he’s on his arse then get Collins in for him. 

I fancy us to be that away team who are rank and stink the place out for 90 minutes but go away with a 1-0 win.

Exactly the kind of team I hate seeing at Pride Park, and we've all seen a few of them.

Warne will be happy we got the points.

@Millenniumramand @RoyMac5 will have a moment of clarity and see the glorious future we have under Paul Warne and spend several seconds in a state of bliss. Before piling back in on Warne because no one wants to be tht kind of team.

I believe the first 45 minutes at Peterborough last season was the best we've seen Derby under Warne - we absolutely dominated them, essentially camped on the edge of their box but couldn't score. We then, stupidly, over-commit to a corner in the second and two passes later it's in the back of our net. It felt to me like a season defining moment, don't think we looked the same after it and haven't since. 

The problem with this game is that Peterborough have plenty of width and plenty of pace - two things we just don't deal with at all well at the moment. It's a very different game to the one we had against them last season, two different teams. I was hoping we would have one or two bodies in ahead of this game, we might, but with limited days for training I'd imagine we will go with what we have: Wildsmith; Rooney, Nelson, Cashin; NML, Smith, Hourihane, Thompson, Forsyth; Waghorn, Washington. 4-4-2/3-5-2 formation. 

Warne doesn't have it in him to play it pragmatically, it's going to be a bit of a basketball game. A point would be good. Three points would be mood-lifting. Zero points, probably the most likely. 

On 19/08/2023 at 23:18, Rampant said:

Date: Saturday 26th August, 3PM

Venue: Weston Homes Stadium

Form Guide: Peterborough have started the season well as they aim to put their playoff nightmare from last season behind them. Their 1-0 defeat at Northampton ended the 100% record they opened up with in their first three matches. Impressive wins at Reading (1-0) and Barnsley (3-1) came either side of a 1-0 success over Charlton in their only home match to date. Nine points out of twelve sees them handily placed in third position albeit just three points ahead of ourselves.

Danger Men: Mason-Clark, Poku and Clarke-Harris are perhaps the trio most likely to get on the scoresheet. Often the most free-scoring (and conceding) of teams at this level, it is perhaps a surprise that their four matches thus far have only yielded seven goals in total (scored five, conceded two). Their current top scorer this season is midfielder Kyprianou with two.

Rams vs Posh History: The two clubs didn't meet competitively until 1963 and it was another decade until the second clash between the sides. Both those matches were FA Cup games and were both won by Derby.

The clubs first met in a league fixture on the opening day of the 1992/93 season when heavily fancied Derby lost 1-0 at London Road. Posh completed the double over us that season with a 3-2 success at the Baseball Ground, a victory which remains their only win on Derby soil.

This is a fixture in which the home side has largely dominated. Only 14 league games have been played with near-identical records for the teams.

Rams Record vs Posh

Home:  P 7   W 5   D 1   L 1    F 13  A 7

Away:   P 7   W 1   D 1   L 5    F 8  A 13

Six wins for each team then with a couple of draws thrown in. Derby are looking to avoid a fifth straight defeat away to Peterborough, with the Rams conceding ten goals in those last four visits. 

Derby's only victory on Peterborough territory came courtesy of a 3-0 win in January 2010 with the goals being a Steve Davies penalty followed by a brace from DJ Campbell. 

Derby Team News: It would be a tough call predicting the XI Paul Warne selects as - to the best of my knowledge - there are injury doubts about Joe Ward, Kane Wilson, Max Bird and Tom Barkhuizen. There is also the possibility of transfers this week. Whatever the personnel available, most Derby fans will be expecting Liam Thompson and Jake Rooney to be given the chance to further showcase their abilities after both added plenty to the overall Derby performance against Fleetwood. The feelgood factor watching the younger Rams play well was the biggest boost I left the ground with today and hopefully next to get league minutes will be Dajaune Brown. To that end, a spot on the bench for him at Posh would be lovely please Mr Warne.

Summary: This is a tough match and if I'm still rolling for the trip to Bolton which follows then I'll be pleasantly surprised. We shouldn't fear anyone in this division but I think it's fair to acknowledge that Peterborough are a more settled team than us right now and that a draw - and especially another improved performance - would represent a decent return as well as ending that four-match run of defeats in this particular fixture.

I just hope we don't lose so we can keep these brilliant previews!

9 hours ago, 8Leeds said:

Wildsmith

Rooney   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Hourihane   Thompson

Mendez-Laing   Washington   Waghorn

Collins

Not much in the attacking subs dept. In that line up?

Wildsmith 

Rooney Nelson Cash Fozzy 

Fornah 

Thompson Hourihane 

Waggy Washington NML 

Fornah straight in as without the screen I do worry about one of the most historically attacking teams in the division.