Is Warne living on borrowed time?

I want Warne gone, not because his jokes are poor, not because he's sarcastic, not because he thinks wearing a bobble hat will win everyone over.....

I want him gone because of his tactics, because of his insistence on reverting to 3-5-2 when it clearly doesn't work with our players, because of his team selection and substitutions and because of his priorities for strengthening the squad.

I do actually think he's quite a nice bloke but I'm afraid his management does not suit our club, with our traditions of football and the high expectation of the supporters. Sorry.

36 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I want Warne gone, not because his jokes are poor, not because he's sarcastic, not because he thinks wearing a bobble hat will win everyone over.....

I want him gone because of his tactics, because of his insistence on reverting to 3-5-2 when it clearly doesn't work with our players, because of his team selection and substitutions and because of his priorities for strengthening the squad.

I do actually think he's quite a nice bloke but I'm afraid his management does not suit our club, with our traditions of football and the high expectation of the supporters. Sorry.

Please don't ever try and speak on my behalf.

Make YOUR point for YOURSELF only.

1 hour ago, sage said:

He hasn't got the pace. He is a bit of a liability in defence IMO but is good on the ball and will make a good DCM

Agree, his future position is DCM or maybe CD in due time. When Fleetwood attacked him with some sort of speed he had a really hard time. They just passed by which was very concerning to see. I like young Jake a lot and think he did a very good preformance overall today but he can't handle pacey attackers unfortunately.

Edit: Think he would be an upgrade on Smith in his current role.

Edited by InstaRam

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Please don't ever try and speak on my behalf.

Make YOUR point for YOURSELF only.

Did you read my post? I said "I" throughout.

You highlighted "the high expectation of the supporters". That's not speaking on your behalf, that's my perception of our fanbase... Our supporters do have high expectation IMHO.

Sheesh, are you saying you don't?

Edited by IslandExile

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Nope. Only for thickos and the hard of hearing.

I am very much neither thanks but they did feel they had to explain it. I also like Warne but thought the whole interview was strange today and didnt like tone of Cash comments at end. Fans are allowed to say that without having an antiWarne agenda 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I was more concerned about him saying he wanted to sign another right wing back. What's he going to do with the other two when they're fit again? 🤔 

I think the problem is that Warne wants to get back to playing 3 CBs as soon as possible - Rooney would be one of the 5 main CB options. 

With Ward and Wilson missing at least 14 first team games (12 in the league), I can see the need for an extra body at RWB. With Forsyth being a CB option, someone who can cover LWB would be ideal. I think this will be a season long signing.

My issue is, I think we're better suited to playing 4 at the back. This is due to squad balance and depth more than anything else. For example, Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing are contracted for 1 more year and neither fit into a  3 at the back system. Unless playing with wingers, that's wasted money being spent on wages. By default, that means playing 4231 or 433. This is also before you consider the tactics used, which highlights the defensive vulnerability of our CBs and lack of control in possession, especially with a 2 man midfield.

If it wasn't for the injuries to Bird, Ward and Wilson, I would argue we have enough depth for a 433 and would be an AM short of 4231. Argubaly another winger/forward in both systems for ideal depth. With our long term injuries, I would be adding a RB and a winger to that list. 

In all 3 at the back systems, we would need more players, simply because we would be over loaded in forward options who aren't actually suited to the role (Waghorn, Collins, Washington, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen and Sibley, whislt still wanting another forward). We can't play 3421 as we don't have anyone other that Sibley who is suited to the supporting role. Yiu could play a nukber of player there (Mendez-Laing, Washington, Waghorn) but they arent suitable options.

433 - RB (covers CB/LB), LW

4231 - RB (covers CB/LB), AM, LW

3421 - RWB (covers LWB), AM, AM, AM

3412 - RWB (covers LWB), AM, CF

352 - RWB (covers LWB), CM, CM, CF

24 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

The whole interview is bit weird, not quite like himself, and that ended it in the same way. Hardly an overreaction

Other posters have already covered this point but was alluding to the complaints regards the style/content of Warnes "joke" in the interview specifically, I should have made that clearer. 

I thought PW's attitude in the post-Fleetwood game was interesting. He was really buzzing and I wonder if it's not just about the win; I wonder if we've finally got some players coming in. He didn't seem overly phased by 3 key players all being out for, in reality, 3 months. Perhaps DC has made more funds available and/or Bird is now staying because of the injury? Dunno, but he seemed overly (if you get me) happy. Of course a win is a win but dunno, just felt that he was chuffed more than a scrappy win against a weak'ish opposition would have made me.

36 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Did you read my post? I said "I" throughout.

You highlighted "the high expectation of the supporters". That's not speaking on your behalf, that's my perception of our fanbase... Our supporters do have high expectation IMHO.

Sheesh, are you saying you don't?

Currently, no, I don't have high expectations. 

We are still under financial restrictions and have an owner who appears to want to run us as a sustainable business.

My expectations are with the above in mind. 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

At least you've been honest and nailed your colours to the mast.

Not sure about the high expectations of supporters as a reason wanting Warne out of the club as this isn't singular to Derby - just look at the managerial turn over in all divisions in recent years, it's systematic of the short termism rife nowadays and insistence for immediate results.

As long as you carry on supporting the team as am sure you will then I don't have any issues, it does become tiresome though - as other posters have mentioned tonight - when folks whom have clear agendas about PW start to nit pick about how funny a joke was in an interview for example. That does just seem petty. 

4 hours ago, sage said:

Well that's bought him some time.

Still 2 strange interviews, pre and post match.

Pre match, he claimed to have no idea of the size of the Cashin bids. I find that amazing,

Post match, joked about Cashin saying goodbye then clearly stated we aren't a top 3 team. I agree with the latter but how have we got to this point.  

Not a top 3 team? I assume he was talking about divisions.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

when folks whom have clear agendas about PW start to nit pick about how funny a joke was in an interview for example. That does just seem petty. 

Agreed. That's why I started my post by saying my stance is nothing to do with interpretations of his Cashin joke.

I also mentioned that I quite like the guy. I heard an interview with him on Radio 5 years ago about how he cared for the Rotherham players well-being. I liked him then. Still do.

But from his appointment on, I've been concerned about whether his tactics would suit our club - or bring the kind of football I enjoy watching. It's nothing personal.

That said, I would love it for him to succeed. Because if he does, the club does and so we all do. So fingers crossed.

And, like us all, I will always support Derby County - heck I even did during the Docherty years so...

Edited by IslandExile

10 hours ago, Rev said:

Eventually we have to give someone from below a proper run. 

Both Rooney and Thompson deserve that on today's showing.

My biggest gripe with Warne so far is that he’s hasn’t trusted the youngsters. I saw enough from Thompson in the cup game against Barnsley last season and in the various cameos he had to suggest we could’ve used him last season. Pleased he now looks like he’ll get the chance. As for Rooney, could’ve been a regular for me last season, been scratching my head for a while as to why he hasn’t been playing. Of all the youngsters at the club including Cashin and Bird, he has the highest ceiling in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Rev said:

Tbh, I felt like he reverted to a back 5 system towards the end almost to make a point, that point being his preferred option wasn't at fault for results so far.

Could have been but they were also lumping balls in the box in last minute desperation. I also think he wanted Bradley on the pitch for his height and to help his self confidence

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Could have been but they were also lumping balls in the box in last minute desperation. I also think he wanted Bradley on the pitch for his height and to help his self confidence

Derby wasn't helping we needed to keep hold of the ball not just lump it forward to nobody, Warne is just negative