Is Warne living on borrowed time?

1 minute ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

We lose and Warne gets battered, we win and he still gets battered.  I don’t get it.  We’re 4 games in, nothing is won and lost yet.  Have we ever had a manager that seems to polarise option so much?

I get what you are saying but I think the way we have played and his stubborn refusal to change formation may have something to do with it ?

2 minutes ago, Justa said:

I get what you are saying but I think the way we have played and his stubborn refusal to change formation may have something to do with it ?

He changed the formation yesterday though and actually played some decent quick pass football in spells……🤔. Although I felt we were still a yard off the pace when out of possession.  And yes I know  he went to 3 at the back but I think that was more because of the lack of options on the bench to stay like for like when the team clearly needed fresh legs on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Dava75 said:

He changed the formation yesterday though and actually played some decent quick pass football in spells……🤔. Although I felt we were still a yard off the pace when out of possession.  And yes I know  he went to 3 at the back but I think that was more because of the lack of options on the bench to stay like for like when the team clearly needed fresh legs on the pitch.

I’d say Warne is the type of person to want to say that we won not just with 4 at the back but with 3/5 as well. It wasn’t just the 4 at the back that won us the game is what he’d say. 

We definitely had the players to stay with 4 at the back - if anything, the personnel we had on the bench would have been better to stay with 4 at the back. 

52 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

72 points over season, safe in mid table during a traumatic rebuild. Reckon he's safe. DC is hopefully looking longer term than just a few games.

What ‘rebuild’. All of our signings, Wilson and to some extent Ward apart, have been old players on short term contracts. That’s to go with all the other old  players we already had on short term contracts. A rebuild would be about bringing in players for the future and setting the foundations for a team like Arthur Cox did. This is about trying to get promotion and then there will need to be the mother of all rebuilds

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I don't know about Warne living on borrowed time - more like he's living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks blowing £1.5M on a center half is the answer to the issues we have in midfield and up-front....

I’m pretty sure he agrees with you……🤔

"But Warne was quick to reject claims that he is weighing up a move for the 24-year-old before the transfer window deadline on September 1.

"Wow, that is amazing," he told Derbyshire Live. "I take full credit for signing Cameron Humphreys and he is an amazing centre-back.

"But I don't know if you noticed, I have quite a lot of centre-backs and I haven't got £1.5m.

Promoted Stories

"He's also playing in the Championship and is quite happy. If I had £1.5m to buy a player and I bought a centre-back when I need attacking players, I would sack myself!

"It would be the worst waste of money, but Cameron is an amazing player. Where the story has come from I don't know. There is zero truth in it, you'd be surprised to know."

30 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Really ? I was there and didn’t see many decent quick passes - unless you mean by Fleetwood ?

Not only did he play 3 at the back but played players out on position.

14 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

I’m pretty sure he agrees with you……🤔

"But Warne was quick to reject claims that he is weighing up a move for the 24-year-old before the transfer window deadline on September 1.

"Wow, that is amazing," he told Derbyshire Live. "I take full credit for signing Cameron Humphreys and he is an amazing centre-back.

"But I don't know if you noticed, I have quite a lot of centre-backs and I haven't got £1.5m.

Promoted Stories

"He's also playing in the Championship and is quite happy. If I had £1.5m to buy a player and I bought a centre-back when I need attacking players, I would sack myself!

"It would be the worst waste of money, but Cameron is an amazing player. Where the story has come from I don't know. There is zero truth in it, you'd be surprised to know."

good

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

72 points over season, safe in mid table during a traumatic rebuild. Reckon he's safe. DC is hopefully looking longer term than just a few games.

That would see us finish in the lowest position in the 139 year history of this football club. Do you honestly think that would acceptable? I don’t. We have the players here to have a real crack at the top 6 and it’s only Warne and his s*** football that’s holding us back.

28 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

We lose and Warne gets battered, we win and he still gets battered.  I don’t get it.  We’re 4 games in, nothing is won and lost yet.  Have we ever had a manager that seems to polarise option so much?

I understand what your saying but apparently yesterday was his 50th game in charge. Ask yourself, are we any better now than when he took over? In my opinion I would say both in attack and midfield we are weaker. Remember this is also his 2nd transfer window regardless of restrictions or not. 

Along with throwing a couple of players under the bus in an interview from a self confessed relationships manager and some awful football, I think people are well within there rights to question if he is the right person for the job.

27 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

I’m genuinely interested in what changes you would have made to keep the shape we were playing…..can you explain? I just don’t see it.

I know this wasn’t meant for me, and I’m by no means anti-Warne, so I get why he made the changes he did yesterday and no real problem with it for me as it got the job done despite a little more nerves for the final 10 mins. However given Warne asks the players to be brave, I think he could have been a little brave himself.
Collins for Wash or Waggy, Sibley for Tommo, Robinson for Smith, Elder for a cb with Forsyth moved central and Bardell for Rooney would have allowed the shape to remain….but then that ignores the fact both Waggy and Wash were knackered, NML too so you’d have been carrying some players to the final minute either way.

It highlights that ongoing need to strengthen. Hopefully we see incomings early in the week so they can train before next weekend.

38 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

We definitely had the players to stay with 4 at the back - if anything, the personnel we had on the bench would have been better to stay with 4 at the back. 

Not sure how that works out. Whether you like the system or not, going to a back 5 for the last 10-15 minutes still resulted in a win whereas there's no guarantee continuing with the 4 would have done so.

p.s. I'm not a fan of playing a back 5.

7 minutes ago, Justa said:

Really ? I was there and didn’t see many decent quick passes - unless you mean by Fleetwood ?

Not only did he play 3 at the back but played players out on position.

Yes really. I was also at the game and witnessed it with my own eyes. Also watched the game on the iPad this morning and saw them again….full match is available if you want to refresh your view (see the first half). You are correct, Fleetwood also played some decent passing football in spells - particularly second half when they changed their personnel.

As for playing players out of position in the 3 - I assume you mean putting Nelson out to RWB for Bradley to come on? That was an obvious switch because Fleetwood tweaked again and brought a lot of tall players on to the pitch for the last 15 minutes. They were starting to dominate the aerial battles and resort to long throws. So retaining the aerial ability of Nelson, Foz, Cash and enabling Bradley to come on made perfect sense at that stage. It meant our ball retention suffered tho - but ultimately we won. 

The beauty of football - we all see different things in a game!! 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know this wasn’t meant for me, and I’m by no means anti-Warne, so I get why he made the changes he did yesterday and no real problem with it for me as it got the job done despite a little more nerves for the final 10 mins. However given Warne asks the players to be brave, I think he could have been a little brave himself.
Collins for Wash or Waggy, Sibley for Tommo, Robinson for Smith, Elder for a cb with Forsyth moved central and Bardell for Rooney would have allowed the shape to remain….but then that ignores the fact both Waggy and Wash were knackered, NML too so you’d have been carrying some players to the final minute either way.

It highlights that ongoing need to strengthen. Hopefully we see incomings early in the week so they can train before next weekend.

Thanks Caerphilly - fair enough with those changes. I think he was looking for experienced players to see the game out - but I get your point on being brave. If he’d have brought Robinson and Bardell on he probably would have been slaughtered for bringing on inexperienced players if we’d conceded. I think we’re agreed though the depth of the squad is not sufficient with the injuries to be able to freshen up in critical positions and at critical times.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not sure how that works out. Whether you like the system or not, going to a back 5 for the last 10-15 minutes still resulted in a win whereas there's no guarantee continuing with the 4 would have done so.

p.s. I'm not a fan of playing a back 5.

I know there’s no right or wrong but I just hope Warne isn’t stubborn and can see what works and doesn’t.