Paul Warne on Sportscene for full hour 1st August

Srg

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Why the duck did we reach any agreement with the EFL that wasn't subject to change if we sold any players? 

On that basis any bids for any players we receive should automatically be refused , and we should have told Bristol to do one too. 

We should have done so if there selling a player for 20 million whilst paying us 10% of that in instalments over a few years, which appears to have happened. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

What's the angriest Warne has been as Derby manager...inevitably referee decision. 

1. Hillsborough last game

2. BRFC away and 96th min penalty ** possibly his biggest

Presenter reminded him of Port Vale at home. 

Cost us a play off place, every right to be angry.

Interesting to hear him almost admit that if we don’t get promoted this season then he could get sacked . We need stability and whilst he has been brought in as a League 1 promotion ‘expert’ I don’t want to see us changing mangers if we don’t manage it this season- much of the team still isn’t his and it will take another year to get that to that point - maybe a bit longer .

When he says that a couple of players he was after went to other League 1 clubs I’m sure one of those is Alfie May …

Man, he can talk ….. but a good interview albeit regurgitation of some stuff stuff we have heard before ..

2 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Interesting to hear him almost admit that if we don’t get promoted this season then he could get sacked . We need stability and whilst he has been brought in as a League 1 promotion ‘expert’ I don’t want to see us changing mangers if we don’t manage it this season- much of the team still isn’t his and it will take another year to get that to that point - maybe a bit longer .

When he says that a couple of players he was after went to other League 1 clubs I’m sure one of those is Alfie May …

Man, he can talk ….. but a good interview albeit regurgitation of some stuff stuff we have heard before ..

I don’t think we can talk about team not being his this season. He’s had ten months prep for his first full season.  Pretty much no managers get that.

think it’s time to walk the walk.

Not heard the interview yet so can’t comment too strongly. 

But from reading everyone’s comments it just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. 

We’re no closer to bringing in a decent striker and selling players is pointless, other than to look good on the bank statement. 

Really struggling to see why so many are optimistic for this season.

14 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Just because a manager doesn’t sign every player, it doesn’t mean it’s not his squad. Warne inherited a very good league 1 squad. He’s added to it this year. He will be judged on that this season. Failure to get promoted will be 2 failures in a row, not reaching the play offs being the first. Not many managers survive that. All irrelevant, as hopefully we smash it! 

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

But from reading everyone’s comments it just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. 

We’re no closer to bringing in a decent striker and selling players is pointless, other than to look good on the bank statement. 

Listen again. Listen to the squad he's creating, the ethos and the aim. The players buy into it, want to achieve something here.

He knows we need more players, but unless you want to be like Mel and spew money around then we have to be patient and wait for opportunities. PS having a good looking bank statement is no bad thing!

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Are you seriously suggesting, not having heard the interview yourself, that "everyone's comments" are giving a negative opinion or are you taking that line because it suits your viewpoint?

34 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Absolutely.

Unless this season goes completely pear shaped, imho he will deserve at least one more season with our full budget, rather than shopping in the EFL sanctioned bargain basement bin.

23 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

The bookies have us down as favourites, most betting companies don't get it wrong. So why are you struggling.

I thought it was a great interview. Refreshingly honest, warts an' all, which is what I'd expect from Paul Warne. Not happy at some of the answers, but that's more the circumstances around some of the answers rather than the actual answer itself.

It was mentioned at the top of the show that it was the first time they'd had a Derby Manager in the studio since 2017. Amazing that it's been that long. 

The strikers situation is obviously concerning, but it would be more concerning had we not at least sorted out the defense. It won't (hopefully) be anywhere near as porous as it has been in recent years. I would imagine there'll be more than a few games where we'll only need to be scoring one goal to win them. 

33 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Because I choose to be. I’d rather see the chance for positives than negatives in a situation. I accept I can’t control pretty much a single thing the club does, so I don’t stress out about them much. What I can do is look for the good rather than the bad. 
We have a strong management team with a good track record at this level. Huge support home and away. Players with talent, skill, experience and ability who even with some limitations can do their jobs well as part of an organised, hard working team that’s pulling in the right direction thanks to a unity and culture being encouraged by the staff.  We’ve made some good signings, still have some good players, and the intent is there to strengthen further.

I find it much easier to be optimistic than worry about things far beyond my control. 

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

I thought it was a great interview. Refreshingly honest, warts an' all, which is what I'd expect from Paul Warne. Not happy at some of the answers, but that's more the circumstances around some of the answers rather than the actual answer itself.

It was mentioned at the top of the show that it was the first time they'd had a Derby Manager in the studio since 2017. Amazing that it's been that long. 

The strikers situation is obviously concerning, but it would be more concerning had we not at least sorted out the defense. It won't (hopefully) be anywhere near as porous as it has been in recent years. I would imagine there'll be more than a few games where we'll only need to be scoring one goal to win them. 

True …but for me midfield is the key. Boss the midfield and you shield the defence and  free the attack. I think Warney needs to focus on the midfield engine room…pivotal is keeping Max Bird who for me is the “cpu” of the team. We actually need a new midfield general BEFORE a striker IMHO; we’ve lost Knight don’t forget. 

My take from this is I can't wait for the season to start and I also need to block about 50 of our fans on twitter and on here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course they are. Who am I to tell them they are right of wrong. I cant. I'm a nobody. I have no influence or importance. However, after reading the same guff over and over and over again, I'm past the stage of interaction and discussion. Past the stage of even reading or listening. I'm now, sadly, just blocking and enjoying the rest.

28 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Are you seriously suggesting, not having heard the interview yourself, that "everyone's comments" are giving a negative opinion or are you taking that line because it suits your viewpoint?

Not at all most people have been complementary of the interview as I’m sure I will be too. I think Warne is refreshing in his openness. 

But I am struggling to understand why more people aren’t concerned with our firepower and just seem easy breezy with it all.

24 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

The bookies have us down as favourites, most betting companies don't get it wrong. So why are you struggling.

Fair play to the bookies, not often you lose a 20 goal striker, fail to replace him but have all the rose’s come up fine.