Paul Warne on Sportscene for full hour 1st August

Srg

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So you think our signings (and their agents) have cost peanuts? There's players who will hope to get new contracts and then still signings to make. What were you expecting, us to sign Clarke-Harris for £3-4m?

No I think Sonny Bradley for example will not be on peanuts. He will be on less wages than Jason Knight though. I don’t see our wage bill being any more this season than last. Last season we didn’t sell any players. This season we’ve sold two and the threat of others. Yet still not a penny spent on transfers and won’t be according to Warne. 

8 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Well after looking at Collins’ performances last season I’d say he isn’t going to hit 20 goals. 

Looking at Washington’s career I’d also say the same. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it. 

Think we’ll win a load 1-0 but if we do concede I can see more than a few frustrating draws.

8 hours ago, TomTom92 said:
11 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

How do you know Collins or Wash won't get 20 this season?.

How many seasons did Mcgoldrick score 20 in a season before he signed for us?.

Well after looking at Collins’ performances last season I’d say he isn’t going to hit 20 goals. 

Looking at Washington’s career I’d also say the same. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it. 

Think we’ll win a load 1-0 but if we do concede I can see more than a few frustrating draws.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten to answer the second part of the question 🤔... In answer to it, he never scored 20+ in a season prior to last year doing it at the ripe old age of 34/35. 

26 minutes ago, angieram said:

And I'm guessing they weren't all "20 goal forwards" when they signed? 

As we saw last season, playing to a striker's strengths create the conditions that make the difference. 

My concern isn't that we haven't got a 20 goal forward, but that we haven't got enough potential 20 goal forwards yet. I think we're two bodies short up there to provide depth over a long season. 

I think Warne knows that too, hence his comments about it last night.

I think it was interesting what he said about missing out on strikers to other league 1 clubs and that if a player is scoring at one club doesn’t automatically mean he will do the same at Derby County.

Those that thought we should have pushed more for an Alfie May or Sam Smith should probably heed the lesson we should have learnt from Jack Marriott and the impact he had in home games. That’s not to say he didn’t score important goals away from home like at Norwich or Leeds, but you can’t say he did it consistently over a season, especially at Pride Park. You need players who can play week in week out in front of 25,000-30,000 people.

18 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

No I think Sonny Bradley for example will not be on peanuts. He will be on less wages than Jason Knight though. I don’t see our wage bill being any more this season than last. Last season we didn’t sell any players. This season we’ve sold two and the threat of others. Yet still not a penny spent on transfers and won’t be according to Warne. 

Really? As Warne said (paraphrase) the money from sales doesn't all drop in in one big plop. Warne implied that with the market as it is then strikers around the £300k mark wouldn't set the world alight. So why would you spend on transfers? The loan market hasn't really got going and there is still a considerable time left for players to realise they aren't wanted at the club they are at.

So why haven't we a good budget?

Edited by RoyMac5

49 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Now if you dare question our forward line or our ability to challenge for top 2  on here you seem to get leapt on. 

It depends on the questions being asked but I’ve always looked to present a rationale fact based counter-argument when people stick to the “we haven’t replaced McGoldrick” line. If the question is “do we need more depth in the forward line?” Or “could we do with more pace”? I’d agree with the idea we do.

People repeatedly saying we haven’t replaced McGoldrick, we have, we’ve signed Washington. So one senior striker gone, one in. People saying we haven’t replaced McGoldrick’s goals, he scored 25, let’s say Washington scores a conservative 10. We need to find 15 more goals, which comes from the slight increase in output across the squad I mentioned to you earlier, a couple more for NML who won’t be burnt out as he’s not playing rwb, Ward, Nelson and Bradley chipping in with a couple each, Sibley scoring more etc. If and when we add a third and fourth striker (Waghorn? And another) there’s more goals there and depth too which was lacking last season. The only aspect of McGoldrick I feel we haven’t, and won’t replace, is his approach to the game. His touch, vision and class aren’t readily available to most teams, let alone ones with restrictions.
We’ve also got some options added into the u21s who can step up and cover pizza cup games etc to keep senior pros fresh in Weston, Lindsay, Radcliffe, Bartley.

I’m not jumping on people, I’m sharing my rationale in the hope people can see some sense in it and worry a bit less 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, RamontheMoor said:

You seem to have conveniently forgotten to answer the second part of the question 🤔... In answer to it, he never scored 20+ in a season prior to last year doing it at the ripe old age of 34/35. 

I didn't answer it because its been repeated numerous times in this forum that Didzy had his best season with us.

However, my point comes from the fact that I believe McGoldrick is a better player, can score goals from anywhere and in McGoldrick's defence he was playing in the PL at maybe his peak so can't blame him for not hitting 20 goals then. Washington by his own admission plays on the shoulder and is a workhorse so whilst he may bring something to the team i don't think it will be Didzy's goals.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It depends on the questions being asked but I’ve always looked to present a rationale fact based counter-argument when people stick to the “we haven’t replaced McGoldrick” line. If the question is “do we need more depth in the forward line?” Or “could we do with more pace”? I’d agree with the idea we do.

People repeatedly saying we haven’t replaced McGoldrick, we have, we’ve signed Washington. So one senior striker gone, one in. People saying we haven’t replaced McGoldrick’s goals, he scored 25, let’s say Washington scores a conservative 10. We need to find 15 more goals, which comes from the slight increase in output across the squad I mentioned to you earlier, a couple more for NML who won’t be burnt out as he’s not playing rwb, Ward, Nelson and Bradley chipping in with a couple each, Sibley scoring more etc. If and when we add a third and fourth striker (Waghorn? And another) there’s more goals there and depth too which was lacking last season. The only aspect of McGoldrick I feel we haven’t, and won’t replace, is his approach to the game. His touch, vision and class aren’t readily available to most teams, let alone ones with restrictions.
We’ve also got some options added into the u21s who can step up and cover pizza cup games etc to keep senior pros fresh in Weston, Lindsay, Radcliffe, Bartley.

I’m not jumping on people, I’m sharing my rationale in the hope people can see some sense in it and worry a bit less 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

To be fair you've been one of the few interactions i've enjoyed on this topic. You've made good points and hard to argue or put down someone who's just positive end of.

But i'm not so sure others have been quite as insightful, but thats just my opinion on a forum thats free for everyone to use. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

My apologies I meant in goal returns. I can't see NML, Barkz, SIbley, Bird etc. improving vastly on their returns last season. So unless Collins or Washington step up to the plate or our defence is that solid we don't need to score as many goals then I think top 6 at best is our current level.

Last season, we scored 65 goals (plus own goals) from 663 shots (1 per 10.2) and 482 key passes (1 per 7.4) 

The players we've lost accounted for 31 goals, 282 shots and 143 key passes.

Whilst we've lost clinical finishers, we haven't lost anywhere near as much creativity. The additions of Ward and Elder in place of Roberts and Knight alone make up the difference in chances created.

Whilst we'll most likely be less clinical than last season, chance creation will significantly improve. Since we'll also be tighter at the back and have more of a set piece threat, overall I see us being better off than last season. However, we do need at least 2 more bodies in for minimum squad depth (4 would be ideal)

24 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think the bigger issue isn’t the missing of his goals but his other all-around play that set up so many other opportunities for others.

I think Wash may well turn out be to be a decent acquisition but he doesn’t offer Didzy’s other all-around attributes…

Edited by caymanram
Error

I’m a glass half full fan and have very similar views to Caerphilly in that I don’t think we need to replace McGoldrick cos goals will come from other areas of the team, and the team building so far has been very good, but I am starting to get a little worried with the latest developments ie could be letting Bird go without having the full proceeds to reinvest in new players. I just can’t get my head around the fact that Derby or Clowes would make an agreement with the EFL not allowing us to spend the money made from outgoings?

17 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I’m a glass half full fan and have very similar views to Caerphilly in that I don’t think we need to replace McGoldrick cos goals will come from other areas of the team, and the team building so far has been very good, but I am starting to get a little worried with the latest developments ie could be letting Bird go without having the full proceeds to reinvest in new players. I just can’t get my head around the fact that Derby or Clowes would make an agreement with the EFL not allowing us to spend the money made from outgoings?

Exactly. It’s all very well Clowes saying We have a good relationship with EFL but is that because we have just been bending over and taking yet more punishment. 

14 hours ago, enachops said:

Just because a manager doesn’t sign every player, it doesn’t mean it’s not his squad. Warne inherited a very good league 1 squad. He’s added to it this year. He will be judged on that this season. Failure to get promoted will be 2 failures in a row, not reaching the play offs being the first. Not many managers survive that. All irrelevant, as hopefully we smash it! 

Just think we need to stick with a decent manager for more than 18 months … the Ferguson case at United is the prime example of sticking with a manager and things coming good later…there are numerous other examples …in all the leagues…

Besides, with our money situation we would not have the resources to bring in another manager in the short term and he be allowed to start building another team.

Yes, the modern way seems to be to sack rather than stick but if we are progressing (and I don’t equate that completely to being promoted now) then I believe we need to have faith ..

Others want and demand short-term success- and that’s fine and their view- I just don’t see this season as being a make-or-break one …

14 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Not heard the interview yet so can’t comment too strongly. 

But from reading everyone’s comments it just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. 

We’re no closer to bringing in a decent striker and selling players is pointless, other than to look good on the bank statement. 

Really struggling to see why so many are optimistic for this season.

You tend to find the people who are ever optimistic cannot stand to see negativity...yet as soon as it becomes apparent that things aren't going to plan, the optimistic ones become negative and then all of a sudden its absolutely fine..

As was evident with Mel. There were friends of his on here defending his every move, until even they weren't able too anymore.

As it stands for me, we are on for a similar season as last, not a bad season, but also no silverware.