Paul Warne on Sportscene for full hour 1st August

Srg

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not if we offer him a contract, we'll get money for developing him.

The only way he goes is if he wants to I guess. But why would you want to go to Hull and probably play CDM? 

Yes we could but even if we did it would be no were near what Hull are offering in terms of wages and we are still one division lower,same thing as Knight went for better money and we got a fee,

6 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

I get what you’re saying. But I don’t look at the squad and see a team full of players willing to step up and pull their weight. 

We may get a few more goals from the defence at corners and so forth but I think it’ll be very similar to last seasons performance which is fine if we’re just wanting to get a place in the top 6. But I thought we’d be banging on the top 2 so it’s disappointing. 

If we were to sign 2/3 quality players then all of a sudden I’d agree that the future is bright, but at the moment that dream appears to be like rocking horse poo.

That first paragraph is an odd take. The general consensus even with the most opposed to Warne fans is that he’ll have the side running and working harder than a lot of opponents. Who do you see as being a passenger in the squad that’s largely been put together based on their character?

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

9 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

How do you know Collins or Wash won't get 20 this season?.

How many seasons did Mcgoldrick score 20 in a season before he signed for us?.

100%! I must have said this on about 5 threads. We've not had a 20+ goal a season striker for eons and now over-entitled moaners go on and on like we're Man City - they really don't get that we're in L1 on a L1 budget - it's really not that complicated! How quickly they've all forgotten that we were almost closed down and now they're demanding top players. Ridiculous.

And as you say, McG was NOT prolific before last season. PW made him a 20 goal striker. This is factually inarguable - he played for 20 seasons and didn't get 20 goals in any of them prior to playing for other managers.

I'm not going to bite anymore - just pray to god that Wash gets 20+ goals so the spoiled brats stop bloody moaning.

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Listen again. Listen to the squad he's creating, the ethos and the aim. The players buy into it, want to achieve something here.

He knows we need more players, but unless you want to be like Mel and spew money around then we have to be patient and wait for opportunities. PS having a good looking bank statement is no bad thing!

Great post 👍

7 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Personally cannot see why people bother going on twitter.

It's the quickest way to find out what is happening at the Club but you have to filter out all the nonsense in your head.

If you can't do that, it's just impossible. 

As Srg says, I follow the Club, news outlets, the footballers who still have accounts and a few people who I actually know from the supporter base. 

The rest is just not so white noise to me! 

Warne seems to be saying that we haven't got much money to spend and many people are having a melt down. This may be true, but also consider this, Derby are currently entering a crucial month of negotiations with other clubs, players and their agents, it would be stupid if he was to publicise on radio that we have money to throw around.  

20 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That first paragraph is an odd take. The general consensus even with the most opposed to Warne fans is that he’ll have the side running and working harder than a lot of opponents. Who do you see as being a passenger in the squad that’s largely been put together based on their character?

As a fully paid up member of the "most opposed to Warne fans", even I think he'll have them working hard.  If anything, he's got them working too hard - too much wasted effort running around, instead of getting control of the game, keeping the ball etc.

People do seem to have a weird fixation on blaming work-rate/laziness for every deficiency in a player's game.  I've seen strikers called lazy on here for dinking a shot rather than smashing it, players called lazy for under-hitting passes etc. Like people think the players just couldn't be bothered to kick it hard enough or something, instead of it being a genuine mistake, or a choice that just didn't pay off. 

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Not sure about Smith and Knibbs but know for sure that Savage and Wing aren’t registered. Manager confirmed it after their last friendly. Smith is injured anyway, might just be Knibbs of their new signings starting on Saturday - considering they’ve had one of the worst preseasons in living memory I think I’ll bet the house on them to lose. 

NTT20 have them finishing 24th!!!! This season 

29 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

100%! I must have said this on about 5 threads. We've not had a 20+ goal a season striker for eons and now over-entitled moaners go on and on like we're Man City - they really don't get that we're in L1 on a L1 budget - it's really not that complicated! How quickly they've all forgotten that we were almost closed down and now they're demanding top players. Ridiculous.

And as you say, McG was NOT prolific before last season. PW made him a 20 goal striker. This is factually inarguable - he played for 20 seasons and didn't get 20 goals in any of them prior to playing for other managers.

I'm not going to bite anymore - just pray to god that Wash gets 20+ goals so the spoiled brats stop bloody moaning.

My favourite post of the thread. Well said 👏👏

Edited by nogbad van 50
Wrong word used

He seems a very genuine bloke.

I think he’s started to put together a very capable looking squad. 

He was playing his cards close to his chest which I don’t blame him for, he’d be foolish if he didn’t. 

He knows as well as we do that we’re probably 3-4 players short of a squad that could go on to compete for automatic promotion. I trust his judgement on picking the right players and like how he talks about them having to have the right character.

Fair f**ks for him going on. First manager since Rowett (?) to do so. 

I like the fact he’s under no illusion that we can’t afford a wasted season and we should be top 6 minimum. 

Confident we will get more bodies through the door by the end of the window. Roll on Saturday. 🐏

I think people look for things that aren’t there when he’s speaking. To me, he comes across as an honest, hardworking, enthusiastic individual who will no doubt put his all into this club no matter the circumstances. He was open about not wanting to lose Knight but having his hands tied, he’s open about not being able to bring in the perfect striker, what else do you want him to say? Then there are those who dissect every little comment as if he’s speaking in riddles. He’s just a bloke, he’s not a Marvel villain delivering a monologue before a big fight with Captain America. There is no further meaning behind his comments, he just says what he sees/feels. 

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's the quickest way to find out what is happening at the Club but you have to filter out all the nonsense in your head.

If you can't do that, it's just impossible. 

As Srg says, I follow the Club, news outlets, the footballers who still have accounts and a few people who I actually know from the supporter base. 

The rest is just not so white noise to me! 

👍, i dont follow anything only this forum and if things come up on twitter etc somebody usually posts on here. I find this forum really entertaining  and very funny at times😀

Caught Paul Warne's interview on BBC Sounds last night, and I've got some thoughts. Warne came across as really down-to-earth and honest, speaking well about the upcoming season.

What struck me was his reaction to a text saying someone wasn't excited for the season ahead. At first, it seemed a bit defensive, but put yourself in his shoes: Warne's had his first pre-season with the squad, implementing all his ideas, working hard to pull this all together, and then a fan's not excited because there's no big name striker signing? I can totally see his point.

It's not just about big names; it's about the hard work, strategy, and vision he's putting into the team. Warne's passion for the game was clear, so I can understand completely why he reacted to it like he did.

Interview link if anyone's looking for it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fz0gmq

Edited by Lander

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My apologies I meant in goal returns. I can't see NML, Barkz, SIbley, Bird etc. improving vastly on their returns last season. So unless Collins or Washington step up to the plate or our defence is that solid we don't need to score as many goals then I think top 6 at best is our current level.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Warne seems to be saying that we haven't got much money to spend and many people are having a melt down. This may be true, but also consider this, Derby are currently entering a crucial month of negotiations with other clubs, players and their agents, it would be stupid if he was to publicise on radio that we have money to throw around.  

Past comms from the club have indicated we are no longer under restrictions from EFl or at least these have been eased. Clowes said we have a big budget. Neither of these statements are consistent with what Warne has said or with the summer activity so far. So who is telling the truth.. is Warne just bluffing? 

Edited by PistoldPete