Exeter City (A) Tues 18th April

Final tip of the night from me.

If you are in the area tomorrow morning and you like walking, you can get a train to Okehampton. It’s 45-50 minutes from Exeter Central by train. It’s 25-30 minutes by car.

There is a walking trail from the station with great views of Dartmoor.

4 hours ago, Kinder said:

We’re staying in Cockwood near Dawlish and there’s a table of Derby fans in the pub here. One of them is confidently predicting a 3-0 win, I think he may have been drinking heavily! 

Are you in the Anchor? 

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne saying a lot of the right things pre match about needing to change things, recognising some players aren’t at it or need a rest. We’ll find out at 6:45pm tomorrow if and what he’s done to change it up. 

Brilliant. ‘The table doesn’t lie’. Followed immediately by ‘football, especially league 1, is so random’.    

2 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I am presuming this is on Rams TV. Is it possible to just buy the first half for a discounted price? 

If our fans partake in all the pubs, cafes, burger vans, chip shops, pizza shops, walks, train rides and all the rest on here on route to the match they could all be asleep for the second half, for one hell of a price……………..

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Around the ground, honestly I am not sure. Tomorrow will be my first time at St. James Park.

But the city centre is a fairly short walk from the ground. Just walk along Sidwell St away from the ground and towards John Lewis.

You’ll pass John Lewis coming into the centre. If John Lewis is on your right, you’re on the right track.

In the centre, you could try Hub Box for a burger. It’s not far from the Cathedral. There is also an award winning fish and chip shop on South St called Hook. Take a left turn after McDonald’s on the High St. You’ll see Warren’s Bakery on the corner. Hook is not far from there.

Generally, the more well known fish and chip shops are in Plymouth, to be honest.

Me and my dad first time there as well.

49 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

There's a KFC right near the ground, a subway, a pizza hut and a domino's, all on sidwell street, and a tesco next door to odeon right nearby. Outside the ground in the red square there is plenty of catering vans for hot foot and beer/cider etc.I had a steak and ale pie + chips there on Saturday and it was bangin(Devon derby/early kick off etc... Booo Plymouth.. yadder yadder). Theres a chippy in town that's a bit naff to be honest

I hope coaches are not to far away from the ground even through I can walk a little bit more normally I still struggle through.

23 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Brilliant. ‘The table doesn’t lie’. Followed immediately by ‘football, especially league 1, is so random’.    

Not the best interview that.  Really wouldn't confide in this guy with any issue I had.  He really can't stop talking.  Big Brother, Jesus wept. Get in training and try keeping the ball for 3 passes.  Do we really need these constant ramblings from an amateur psychologist.  Perhaps re-paper the win wall or order a few more mugs. 

25 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Me and my dad first time there as well.

Excellent, B4. I hope you and your dad have a great evening.

I used to work in the very centre of Exeter at a language school on Queen St, so I know it fairly well.

But funnily enough I never thought to go to the ground before now. I’d only ever ventured up that way in search of a barber, not food.

What time is your coach getting in?

If it’s 5:30 or before, you should have enough time to take a walk and get a quick bite to eat in the centre. There’ll be plenty of chain restaurants open. Rosa’s Thai in the Guildhall Centre is the newest one.

If it’s 6 or later, go with @bimmerman’s suggestions of staying nearby the stadium and exploring the options on Sidwell St and in the fanzone.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

In case you missed this...

Look out for The Turk’s Head (High St), the Ship Inn (Martin’s Lane), the Old Firehouse (New North Road), the White Hart (South St) and the Exonian (Fore St).

If you are on the Quay, the Prospect Inn is a local favourite and if you are near St. David’s, the Mill on the Exe is another.

Another one I forgot to mention is The City Gate by the Iron Bridge.

Your posts are brilliant and making me wish we had tickets but would have been a push after a 3pm work meeting in Cambridge 😂

4 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Your posts are brilliant and making me wish we had tickets but would have been a push after a 3pm work meeting in Cambridge 😂

Skip the work meeting. @B4ev6is would be proud.

Seriously though, yes, I think Exeter and Plymouth too are good days out if you have time to play with.

That’s the lowest I’ve seen PW (interview) Felt for him big time. Must be so frustrating, he’s well aware of how much it hurts the fans. Dropping five points to Fleetwood and MK at PP is where the damage was done for me. I think he’s great, clearly not everyones cup of tea or coffee. Do wish a few would accept this is not his team. Dear me. Hope springs eternal and I’m content to be positive, always. 

Exeter fan here, loads of good tips on this thread already, didn’t realise you were all staying for three weeks.

I’d just add a few things: the poster who said we’re a friendly bunch is spot on, there won’t be any trouble unless you go looking for it which I’m sure you won’t. Avoid the Duke of York in that regard.

The away end will have great pasties but they will sell out quickly, we don’t have the ovens to keep 15,000 pasties warm so please don’t abuse the catering staff, it’s not their fault. Either get there early or eat in town or at the Red Square fanzone which will be very welcoming, even if you’re wearing colours.

Not sure which Exeter will turn up today, and imagine you’ll be saying the same thing. We gave a huge amount of energy in the argyle game on Saturday so some players may be rested, I’m looking forward to seeing our line up. I’m hoping for a good game and a City win (obvs) with a good atmosphere, but if you score twice in the first ten minutes it’ll be a morgue, especially after Saturday’s undeserved defeat to argyle which we’re all still hurting from.

The designated away pub is St Anne’s Well which is a two minute walk to the away turnstiles. And your coaches will drop you off and pick you up from right outside the turnstiles as well. 

I really hope you all enjoy your trip to our beautiful city, even after your heavy defeat. Funnily enough I live in Derby so will be travelling down and back today with you all, ha ha.

Edited by fred binneys head

10 hours ago, bimmerman said:

To add-avoid the duke of York tomorrow, it's the designated home pub and rough as assholes even on non match days. Theres 3 spoons in town, George's meeting house, the chev and the imperial, there's also a quality cheap cavern bar which is a proper dirty grotty gig venue, but does banging cheesy chips in the daytime. 

If you venture just out of town there's Henry's bar which has a good atmosphere and is usually full of casual football fans.

You'll be quite safe mingling in the red square before kick off so long as you're not being a dick, the home fans are friendly and it's a very family oriented crowd. Legit try not to swear too much as it'll be full of kids everywhere. Even if we thump city 12-0 (ha!), you won't get any trouble unless you go searching for it, it was the Devon Derby at the weekend and there was no trouble really

Came down to Exeter a few seasons ago to watch Swindon when Timi-Max Elsnik and Kellan Gordon were on loan there. Swindon were flying so sold out their small allocation (it was when the new away end was being built.) 

So we stood on the Big Bank with the Exeter fans, great experience as unlike standing in allocated seats, you just move around till you get a good view.

Arrived at the ground via train from Torquay, drank in a little pub just outside the ground and all the locals were very friendly and knowledgeable about football. I think I prefer the "neutral" awaydays to the ones where we are treated like animals because we're with a "big" club, tbh.