Exeter City (A) Tues 18th April

22 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Interestingly the “decent long range shot” you mention was his worst moment of the game for me and showed his severe lack of football intelligence. We’ve managed to win the ball high up the pitch creating a 3v2 in our favour, instead of drawing a defender out and playing one of his team mates in, he’s toon a shot on from 20-25 yards and missed the target. We’re seriously lacking in goals from around the pitch, Didzy has scored our last 4 or 5 goals, if we’re going to be successful in our quest for the playoffs it’s vital other players start pitching in with goals, but that means making the right decisions when opportunities present themselves.

An accusation you could also throw at Knight when he took on the keeper at the near post, instead of pulling the ball back into a well-populated penalty box. 

And McGoldrick and Mendez-Laing on numerous occasions this season. But no, let's just insult Sibley.

"Severe lack of football intelligence"? Mmmmmm.....

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just out of interest, have none of your players time wasted in any matches this season?

Fred mentioned they did at ours during to 0-0 game, He's no different to some who just doesn't like it...like me 🙄, Opposing fans will take the opportunity to strike back then sticking in a caveat of "yep we do it as well" 😉 When I saw the clip of Wildsmith hitting the floor when he gathers the ball against BR...then when the penalty is scored the scorer takes the piss by collecting the ball running round the goal and collapsing to the ground clutching the ball, What goes around and all that shyte.

Posters are saying Wildsmith is under orders to do it 🤷‍♀️ a ploy in the game that's chipping away at the soul for our game, The 2 players from Ipswich that both fell to the ground at PP sums up todays game 👎 

42 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Interestingly the “decent long range shot” you mention was his worst moment of the game for me and showed his severe lack of football intelligence. We’ve managed to win the ball high up the pitch creating a 3v2 in our favour, instead of drawing a defender out and playing one of his team mates in, he’s toon a shot on from 20-25 yards and missed the target. We’re seriously lacking in goals from around the pitch, Didzy has scored our last 4 or 5 goals, if we’re going to be successful in our quest for the playoffs it’s vital other players start pitching in with goals, but that means making the right decisions when opportunities present themselves.

This is a very annoying trait, but all players do it from time to time, even McGoldrick who I've just praised for not being that sort of player.

When Knight bumbled past their LB in the first half and hit a weak left footed shot toward the near post for the keeper to save, ignoring 3 Derby players in the middle of the box were there howls of derision and claims that he has no footballing intelligence? Of course not, if that'd have been Sibley however people would be on his case. His every move is scrutinised beyond that of any other player.

We saw in the very first game Sibley roll one over to Hourihane to smash it in for a late winner - he could have shot then but didn't, it's not like he's unwilling or incapable of playing someone else in.

It's an example of why he needs more time in a settled position, a settled team and less time being brought off the bench with 15-20 minutes to go in games we're losing and asked to drag us back into it - of course he's going to continue to develop a 'shoot first' mentality under those conditions because it's his strongest asset.

He may develop into a more rounded player, he may not, but it's not going to happen when there's so much pressure applied to his every performance and if he keeps getting dropped or moved whenever he doesn't have an impact.

Edited by Kokosnuss

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

An accusation you could also throw at Knight when he took on the keeper at the near post, instead of pulling the ball back into a well-populated penalty box. 

And McGoldrick and Mendez-Laing on numerous occasions this season. But no, let's just insult Sibley.

Too right Angie, it’s not just one player. There’s been a collective issue from all of our players who’ve found themselves in attacking positions at various points this season, even McGoldrick I reckon (not that I can think of a specific example). That decision making and composure has been inconsistent, not sure if that’s down to the coaching, their confidence, the pressure etc.

Whatever the issue(s) we could do with them all finding the answers for these last 3 games, and hopefully beyond. Sibley, Hourihane, Bird, Roberts, NML, Knight, Collins, Barkhuizen, Dobbin have all scored at some stage, some of them absolute stunners, so they can do it. We need em to show it 

14 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

Nothing like the w****** we have seen at pride park this season.  We’ve been too nice in this s*** show of a league and have not been taking advantage appalling level of officials, in fact quite the opposite.  Thus we’ve missed deploying all of the tricks that are required to get result.  Sorry that you guys were on the end of it, but we had no apologies from Ipswich and many others this season, that have done the same to us.

I hate it, but football is being driven to the lowest common denominator, playing fair has just punished us.

All I heard on the Radio was Rams fans, not a peep from Exeter?

Absolutely. The reffing & s’housery from other L1 teams this year has been abysmal. 

21 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Dobbin is pace but little end product and struggles to keep hold of the ball as we saw Tuesday night. 

Minutes per assist
Mendez-Laing - 312
Hourihane - 371
McGoldrick - 410
Dobbin - 417
Barkhuizen - 499

Minutes per goal contribution (= end product)
McGoldrick - 93
Osula - 118
Mendez-Laing - 181
Hourihane - 218
Barkhuizen - 227
Dobbin - 227
Collins - 241

19 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think Hourihane’s performance is sometimes overlooked.

He often calms things down or sets things going with a simple pass. Not flashy but effective.

We can’t expect him to be tearing around the pitch though and need two or three with him who can.

Thought Hourihane contributed well. The problem comes when the oppo manager draws us into a high energy midfield battle where his lack of energy is a very weak link.  If he sits deep and the oppo play it long, he shows his class 

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

This is a very annoying trait, but all players do it from time to time, even McGoldrick who I've just praised for not being that sort of player.

When Knight bumbled past their LB in the first half and hit a weak left footed shot toward the near post for the keeper to save, ignoring 3 Derby players in the middle of the box were there howls of derision and claims that he has no footballing intelligence? Of course not, if that'd have been Sibley however people would be on his case. His every move is scrutinised beyond that of any other player.

We saw in the very first game Sibley roll one over to Hourihane to smash it in for a late winner - he could have shot then but didn't, it's not like he's unwilling or incapable of playing someone else in.

It's an example of why he needs more time in a settled position, a settled team and less time being brought off the bench with 15-20 minutes to go in games we're losing and asked to drag us back into it - of course he's going to continue to develop a 'shoot first' mentality under those conditions because it's his strongest asset.

He may develop into a more rounded player, he may not, but it's not going to happen when there's so much pressure applied to his every performance and if he keeps getting dropped or moved whenever he doesn't have an impact.

and even when he does. 😡

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Oh 100%. I’d quite happily sell Jason Knight in the summer as well, a great engine but severely lacking in end product. Played his best games this season at RB

4 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

If you go back and look at the highlights neither NML or Didzy were on in that situation. If he passed it Didzy he was about to be closed down and NML was behind him when he took the shot, plus there was a defender covering on his right side.

Edited by JPRamFan

On 19/04/2023 at 12:58, kevinhectoring said:

So can you explain, for the benefit of us numpties, why it’s not a yellow when players say ‘f*** off ref” to his face

(they seem not to say it to lady refs we probably have their mums to thank for that)

Not numpties kev lad. Being abusive to a ref is a card. It falls under "dissent by word or action". It's just one of the many (parts of) Laws that refs don't, or hardly ever, make use of. Ergo, the numpties are the refs for not enforcing the Laws, not folk like you who wonder why a card and/or free kick hasn't been given when, according to the Laws of the game, it should have been.

Then there's the several ways  of preventing a free kick, corner or throw in being taken quickly. Players being hurt and off the field and then crawling back on. Even Fozzy did it recently. It's a yellow but doesn't tend to get given.

I have a fair few pet peeves about things refs don't do which the Laws say they should. I emailed Howard Webb at PGMOL recently listing them and asking why they aren't enforced. I also explained that enforcement would lead to the ball being in play more and thus add to fans' enjoyment. Not surprisingly I haven't had a reply.