Exeter City (A) Tues 18th April

IF the players came home between games and IF Warne gave them Sunday off, they'll only be doing light training this morning and then travelling down.

On the one hand, a bit less training might do them good; on the other hand it's less likely that Warne will risk another change of formation without practising it on the training field. 

But I would. I think the players naturally know how to play a 4231 or similar, and they'd just slot into the groove. 

Just get Sibley in there further forward and keep the ball on the ground! 

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

IF the players came home between games and IF Warne gave them Sunday off, they'll only be doing light training this morning and then travelling down.

On the one hand, a bit less training might do them good; on the other hand it's less likely that Warne will risk another change of formation without practising it on the training field. 

But I would. I think the players naturally know how to play a 4231 or similar, and they'd just slot into the groove. 

Just get Sibley in there further forward and keep the ball on the ground! 

To try a new formation after only one’s days training session sounds like a high risk strategy to me. I can’t see it happening. 

I wasn’t at Bristol and didn’t watch the game on Rams TV so, I can’t really comment although by all accounts we were dire. It feels like something needs to change but I’m not sure what. There wasn’t much wrong in the formation for the first half against MKD, we just couldn’t finish more than one of our multitude of chances. First half against Peterborough we dominated but didn’t create enough clear cut chances so, was there much wrong with the formation then? I don’t know.

Most of us have said it for a long time now that our primary problem seems to be our consistent inability to adapt to the opposition making changes at half time (perhaps the new formation you’re talking about?). I may have missed it but I don’t think Radio Derby have really challenged PW deeply enough over this glaringly obvious flaw in our game. Maybe it’s PW’s stubbornness, maybe it’s his limited tactical knowledge or maybe it’s simply down to the lack of suitable resources in order to make the necessary changes. It just feels like the elephant in the room. 

Wildsmith; Rooney, Cashin, Forsyth, Roberts; Bird White; Barkhuizen, Knight, Dobbin; McGoldrick.

Get back to the shape which saw us looking unbeatable. Get Knight running beyond McGoldrick and actually keep the opposition on the back-foot for longer than 5 minutes at a time. Have energy on the wings so we have an outlet and don’t set up camp in our half. Give the players who are either knackered, not interested, or both a rest and see what happens.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

I quite like Weston-super-Mare! We're off to meet Julie, Annette and Nigel in Dawlish today.

I do Paignton an injustice, this is the morning view from our room. I got sunburnt yesterday! 😅 

20230415_094325.jpg

That looks nice, it was raining when we left Bristol so we didn’t go to WSM.

It’s cloudy in Exeter but 3 degrees warmer than Bristol.

Been upgraded to a suite in the hotel, so I hope the football is worth turning out for.

16 hours ago, Rampant said:

If we insist on wing backs then.....

Wildsmith

Rooney   Forsyth   Cashin

Knight                                          Roberts

Smith     Bird    Hourihane

Sibley

McGoldrick

(McGee, Davies, NML, Barkhuizen, Dobbin, Springett, U21 striker)

If not then.....

Wildsmith

Knight        Forsyth       Cashin       Roberts

Rooney         Bird

NML               Sibley          Barkhuizen

McGoldrick

(McGee, Davies, Smith, Hourihane, Dobbin, Springett, U21 striker)

Quite happy to leave White out of the 18 and promote whoever is the most promising U21 striker to replace the hapless Collins. If the most promising U21 striker is unavailable then the second most promising U21 striker can be included. If neither are available then give Collins a shout. Joan preferably, or failing that, Phil. 

Possibly Gemma. 

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Spoons in Exeter, a pint of Guinness and a pint of Doom bar £5.63.

Locals call it the Chev. My fiancée says the shots are wonderfully cheap in there.

Exeter has some nice old pubs in the city centre.

Look out for The Turk’s Head (High St), the Ship Inn (Martin’s Lane), the Old Firehouse (New North Road), the White Hart (South St) and the Exonian (Fore St).

If you are on the Quay, the Prospect Inn is a local favourite and if you are near St. David’s, the Mill on the Exe is another.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Quite a few of us have just stayed down here! We've been scattered across the south-west. Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Paignton - that's us lowering the tone at the end!

Darts Farm is near Exeter.

It’s a really beloved and really extensive farm shop with excellent local produce.

My mother-in-law recommends going in the morning and having breakfast there.