Exeter City (A) Tues 18th April

To add-avoid the duke of York tomorrow, it's the designated home pub and rough as assholes even on non match days. Theres 3 spoons in town, George's meeting house, the chev and the imperial, there's also a quality cheap cavern bar which is a proper dirty grotty gig venue, but does banging cheesy chips in the daytime. 

If you venture just out of town there's Henry's bar which has a good atmosphere and is usually full of casual football fans.

You'll be quite safe mingling in the red square before kick off so long as you're not being a dick, the home fans are friendly and it's a very family oriented crowd. Legit try not to swear too much as it'll be full of kids everywhere. Even if we thump city 12-0 (ha!), you won't get any trouble unless you go searching for it, it was the Devon Derby at the weekend and there was no trouble really

Exeter also has an interesting set of independent cafes for anyone who arrives mid-afternoon.

Zuki’s is an Italian-Turkish cafe with good coffee and interesting treats. The Exploding Bakery is also highly rated. Both are near Central Station. Chococo on Gandy St is fun if you have a sweet tooth. 

The Tiny Tasting Room near the Ship Inn is quite nice to stumble upon. Eat on the Green has a prime location right opposite the Cathedral but also the prices to match.

My personal favourite is Grow Coffee House on South St. It has a nice outdoor terrace if the weather’s dry. It’s a good stop off too if you are either coming back or heading towards the Quay.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Exeter also has an interesting set of independent cafes for anyone who arrives mid-afternoon.

Zuki’s is an Italian-Turkish cafe with good coffee and interesting treats. The Exploding Bakery is also highly rated. Both are near Central Station. Chococo on Gandy St is fun if you have a sweet tooth. 

The Tiny Tasting Room near the Ship Inn is quite nice to stumble upon. Eat on the Green has a prime location right opposite the Cathedral but also the prices to match.

My personal favourite is Grow Coffee House on South St. It has a nice outdoor terrace if the weather’s dry. It’s a good stop off too if you are either coming back or heading towards the Quay.

Thought that was in Greece?

9 hours ago, Kernow said:

Wildsmith; Rooney, Cashin, Forsyth, Roberts; Bird White; Barkhuizen, Knight, Dobbin; McGoldrick.

Get back to the shape which saw us looking unbeatable. Get Knight running beyond McGoldrick and actually keep the opposition on the back-foot for longer than 5 minutes at a time. Have energy on the wings so we have an outlet and don’t set up camp in our half. Give the players who are either knackered, not interested, or both a rest and see what happens.

I have a bit of a theory about the “Invincibles Run” earlier on this season. I don’t think it was just new manager bounce. After the home defeat against WHUtd we seemed to take a knock  to our confidence. NML in particular has not been the same since that night.

2 minutes ago, Sheepdog said:

We’ve been in Devon since Friday. Staying in a little place called Wimple about 10 miles from Exeter.

Looking forward to having a few beers in Exeter centre before the match  

In case you missed this...

Look out for The Turk’s Head (High St), the Ship Inn (Martin’s Lane), the Old Firehouse (New North Road), the White Hart (South St) and the Exonian (Fore St).

If you are on the Quay, the Prospect Inn is a local favourite and if you are near St. David’s, the Mill on the Exe is another.

Another one I forgot to mention is The City Gate by the Iron Bridge.

4 minutes ago, Sheepdog said:

We’ve been in Devon since Friday. Staying in a little place called Wimple about 10 miles from Exeter.

Looking forward to having a few beers in Exeter centre before the match  

You are about 4 miles from my village, Whimple is lovely. A gorgeous little village. And incredibly expensive to buy property there! 

On 16/04/2023 at 19:55, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely salute anyone going to this one by the way. All that way on a Tuesday night to watch the inevitable second half collapse. Heroic effort by anyone doing it

I'm going, but I only have to travel from Plymouth. I think Warne needs to play a back 4 and stop trying to make NML & Barks play wingbacks. Put Forsyth back in the starting line up and leave Collins on the bench.

58 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Is there a nice fish and chip shop near the ground or are the burgers or a decent cornish pasties.

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Look out for The Turk’s Head (High St), the Ship Inn (Martin’s Lane), the Old Firehouse (New North Road), the White Hart (South St) and the Exonian (Fore St).

If you are on the Quay, the Prospect Inn is a local favourite and if you are near St. David’s, the Mill on the Exe is another.

Turk's Head is my favourite being a brewpub with great selection of ales. They don't do cash so you need to pay by card or phone. The Mill is a bit up market, so not far from St David's station is the Imperial (Wetherspoons), worth a visit just for the fantastic barrel vaulted conservatory(massive). I will arrive in Exeter just before 6pm, so going for a cheap tea in the Imperial, will be my first port of call. Just go straight out of the railway station cross the main road and up through a walkway steps to the next road and cross over into the grounds of the pub (all up hill).

Agree with Jourdan, the old Firehouse is worth a visit, so is the White Hart. Not been in the Ship or the Exonian, so I can't give any comments on them.

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Thanks for reposting this - we’ll look out for those. Thinking of having tea in one of the whetherspoons and then taking it from there. I was thinking of heading to the Bowling Green as I like real ale and my OH likes craft cider. 

29 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

You are about 4 miles from my village, Whimple is lovely. A gorgeous little village. And incredibly expensive to buy property there! 

Yes it is very nice. Well connected (I caught the train to Bristol from here on Saturday). I guess that’s partly why it’s so expensive. We’ve had a good week so far. Lovely afternoon at Sidmouth donkey sanctury today. Didn’t see any of our players warming up there 

22 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Is there a nice fish and chip shop near the ground or are the burgers or a decent cornish pasties.

Around the ground, honestly I am not sure. Tomorrow will be my first time at St. James Park.

But the city centre is a fairly short walk from the ground. Just walk along Sidwell St away from the ground and towards John Lewis.

You’ll pass John Lewis coming into the centre. If John Lewis is on your right, you’re on the right track.

In the centre, you could try Hub Box for a burger. It’s not far from the Cathedral. There is also an award winning fish and chip shop on South St called Hook. Take a left turn after McDonald’s on the High St. You’ll see Warren’s Bakery on the corner. Hook is not far from there.

Generally, the more well known fish and chip shops are in Plymouth, to be honest.

Edited by Jourdan

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Around the ground, honestly I am not sure. Tomorrow will be my first time at St. James Park.

But the city centre is a fairly short walk from the ground. Just walk along Sidwell St away from the ground and towards John Lewis.

You’ll pass John Lewis coming into the centre. If John Lewis is on your right, you’re on the right track.

In the centre, you could try Hub Box for a burger. It’s not far from the Cathedral. There is also an award winning fish and chip shop on South St called Hook. Take a left turn after McDonald’s on the High St. You’ll see Warren’s Bakery on the corner. Hook is not far from there.

Generally, the more well known fish and chip shops are in Plymouth, to be honest.

We are in the Indigo hotel, so only about a 15 minute walk to the ground.

32 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Turk's Head is my favourite being a brewpub with great selection of ales. They don't do cash so you need to pay by card or phone. The Mill is a bit up market, so not far from St David's station is the Imperial (Wetherspoons), worth a visit just for the fantastic barrel vaulted conservatory(massive). I will arrive in Exeter just before 6pm, so going for a cheap tea in the Imperial, will be my first port of call. Just go straight out of the railway station cross the main road and up through a walkway steps to the next road and cross over into the grounds of the pub (all up hill).

Agree with Jourdan, the old Firehouse is worth a visit, so is the White Hart. Not been in the Ship or the Exonian, so I can't give any comments on them.

The Ship is down an alley between High St and Cathedral Green (not Inn!). Turn right after the Skechers shoe shop when you’re on the High St.

It is famous for being one of the oldest pubs in Exeter. Francis Drake was a regular apparently.

You could start at Turk’s Head, then move onto the Ship afterwards, for example.

Time permitting, of course.

Edited by Jourdan

30 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

There's a KFC right near the ground, a subway, a pizza hut and a domino's, all on sidwell street, and a tesco next door to odeon right nearby. Outside the ground in the red square there is plenty of catering vans for hot foot and beer/cider etc.I had a steak and ale pie + chips there on Saturday and it was bangin(Devon derby/early kick off etc... Booo Plymouth.. yadder yadder). Theres a chippy in town that's a bit naff to be honest

21 minutes ago, Sheepdog said:

Thanks for reposting this - we’ll look out for those. Thinking of having tea in one of the whetherspoons and then taking it from there. I was thinking of heading to the Bowling Green as I like real ale and my OH likes craft cider. 

Wetherspoon pub in the city called the Chevaliar is not too bad and very close to the Turks Head (brewpub). Going to the Bowling green will be packed with football fans being close to the ground and it only serves up to 3 real ales. Turks Head has got 9 handpumps plus craft beers on tap. Not sure  if there is any craft ciders though.

26 minutes ago, Sheepdog said:

Yes it is very nice. Well connected (I caught the train to Bristol from here on Saturday). I guess that’s partly why it’s so expensive. We’ve had a good week so far. Lovely afternoon at Sidmouth donkey sanctury today. Didn’t see any of our players warming up there 

Sidmouth is my favourite place in the world, it's beautiful. Most of the areas around here are amazing, within 5 minutes of being on a bicycle you have the most gorgeous views