Derby vs Ipswich (H) Match Thread

Comrade 86

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Can't agree is fine. We don't have to, and no disrespect is meant.

But no I don't believe it would have been pivotal because I have NEVER seen Warne adopt a different srategy, mentality, tactic or whatever  to counter  the opposition or to react t the situation in the game at hand. It's just like for like changes and hoping that the replacement players do better than those going off 

We had 5 subs today over 3 windows and we did not do a f****** thing to take advantage over the qualities of those brought on we just continued to flog a dead tactical horse.

Non taken, a forum is a place for debate, and here we are debating! 👍🏻😁

You seem to lay the blame squarely on Warne.  However, I think that the players carry responsibility for the performance on the field.  I also think that the game may well have swung on the goal.  You are correct in saying that it could not have changed the tactics, but it may well have changed the mindset and confidence of the eleven men on the pitch, especially given the nervousness displayed in the first ten minutes.  Confidence is low, and goals ease that.

51 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

The ref made some very strange decisions.  One was effectively giving a drop ball for an alleged foul, and giving the goal keeper the ball after one of their players went down “injured”.  It was simply a Derby throw and should have left it to Derby to make the sportsmanship call.  Or am I wrong?

I think he was stopping the game anyway before the keeper kicked it out, which I guess if shoe was on the other foot then you’d the ref to stop the game. I do think those players should be made to go off for a certain amount of time because in that instance only Derby suffered because we were growing momentum which Ipswich were able to stifle with a long stoppage. Enforce the player to go off for a minute  and see how many go down or roll back onto the pitch to receive treatment. 

8 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

One, of many things, I’ve learnt about League 1 is that it’s important to get in the officials head as well as the opposition. Case in point is their keeper making a big deal about being fouled on the corner before the disallowed goal. Ipswich were good at it, niggly fouls, making a meal out of any contact, complaining about everything when they are fouling just as much. Don’t blame that for it by the way, it’s gamesmanship, but we are frankly terrible at it.

All true, but having watched a season of it one wonders what those unimpeachable moral guardians at the EFL are saying to officials and clubs ? The level it is at, that I have observed, tells me it is being coached formally as part of the game. Not good enough .. if you can judge on amortisation then you can judge on this. 

Yeah you could be right, wasn’t sure, I did not hear or see the ref stop the game before.

Given their previous bouts of rolling about I probably just took a dim view of it.

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think he was stopping the game anyway before the keeper kicked it out, which I guess if shoe was on the other foot then you’d the ref to stop the game. I do think those players should be made to go off for a certain amount of time because in that instance only Derby suffered because we were growing momentum which Ipswich were able to stifle with a long stoppage. Enforce the player to go off for a minute  and see how many go down or roll back onto the pitch to receive treatment. 

I didn’t hear or see him stop the game before the ball went out.  Given their previous bouts rolling about I just took a dim view of it.

Edited by Guest

Well I have no complaints of the players after today. They gave everything they had, and for long periods matched and were the better side in all departments except the final third. My main complaint is with the match officials. Yes, here he goes again - blame the ref, blame the EFL. Well today I am just being like virtually everyone else - I could fill several pages with all the bad decisions the man in yellow got wrong today. I suggested in previous seasons that referees were trying to outdo each other to win the "Worst ref of the season trophy". If that were the case, this season's trophy was sorted today.

Today we saw the players perform better than most recent matches, but what we are seeing is a club with a squad of only 15 players, with the only one in the prime age group being the goalkeeper. That is not enough to rotate the players in order to keep them fresh, and is also limiting because we also lack the capacity to change the match from the bench. Any club playing to these restrictions would have run out of steam by now, but then you have to dial in Warne's "flat out till you gas out" regime and it surprising that we have lasted so long. So to turn up and play like we did was remarkable. 

Like most I would like more than simply look for the long ball at the earliest opportunity, especially given the players we have. Having said that, the ball-to-feet style would not have been too effective against Ipswich because they pressed and harried really well, and also did plenty of "roughing us up" which tends to nullify actual football.

Mendez-Lang had his fullback on toast, but was less effective because he was playing wing-back instead of winger, and Collins had a better match today - largely because it wasn't as bad as other games! Plus he won two headers, including one on target, which can' be bad.

Finally: Come on Rick - THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! A penalty given against us with virtually no contact at all, a penalty denied after comparative GBH, a reasonable penalty shout today on Knight, and today's goal ruled out for a foul on the goalkeeper, who literally had no-one anywhere near him. WE have had two apologies from the match officials, but apologies do not get a team into the play-offs.

At least the EFL have changed their view, because last season, it was "Derby: you're going down". Whereas this season it is "Derby - you are not going up".

Well come on Derby - let's show them!!! COME ON YOU RAMS!

Not really arsed about the result, expected a defeat and they delivered it. Ipswich were better in the moments that mattered. Can't see anything wrong with Cashin's goal though - be nice if we could get a decision like that in our favour. 

Another midfield better than ours. The question marks get bigger on Knighty, Bird and Smith being "very good" players in this division. When was the last time any of them left their mark on a game in a positive way. Knighty had a great game vs France by all accounts yet plays like that in League One? Somebody make it make sense. Bird looked terrible on the ball. 

Hopefully the clamour on here for Smith in midfield and Rooney at right back slips silently into the night. Exposed and punished again. 

Despite the sloppy start I don't think we were that bad. McGoldrick sorts his 50p head out and the ref/lino get a grip for the corner and who knows what result it ends up. Hopefully the flat track bullies return vs FGR, MK and Burton in the next few - we need it. 

Ipswich were good though - decent away performance. Probably chase the top two at this rate. Their fans were pretty quiet and all stunk of BO when encountered up close though - hopefully don't have to smell them again in the play offs. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Get the fitness coach in a bobble hat out and get a decent manager in 

I'm just hoping that David Clowes has your number and steps in before anyone else acquires your services.

As the person that can fix both Derby and Englands problems you really should be a man in demand.

33 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

You seem to lay the blame squarely on Warne.  However, I think that the players carry responsibility for the performance on the field.  I also think that the game may well have swung on the goal.  You are correct in saying that it could not have changed the tactics, but it may well have changed the mindset and confidence of the eleven men on the pitch, especially given the nervousness displayed in the first ten minutes.  Confidence is low, and goals ease that.

We sat back in the first 10mins maybe thats the instructions from the management to try and settle into the game instead of playing our own game

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, they were 3 minutes celebrating their first goal, not to mention 2 minutes of players going down with fake injuries, plus the thrower being booked for time-wasting plus him signalling to the goalkeeper to get on with it twice. Added up they gave 3 minutes for that.

So  I reckon with that level of mathematical genius, another goal celebration, booking for time-wasting, guy rolling round on touchline in agony  plus a parade of well-timed 'slow the game down' substitutions most fans presumed they'd be deducting a few minutes from the 90  rather than giving some back!

As it happens, they must have substituted the timekeeper too  who added on a decent whack. Really painful to watch them play out when the game had gone completely flat.

There was a minute for each goal when a player just randomly stayed in our half. Not even celebrating just wouldn't get into position for the kick off. Just cynical. Refs need to clamp down like the ref in the England Italy game.  

Not that we looked like scoring  after Cashin's goal I mean foul. 

37 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Good post.

I'm not laying blame exclusively at Warne's door really, I just hoped that there might be more to his approach given his success in this league by but at this stage I'm doubting whether he can adapt, or whether it's just a case of bringing in players to make us Rotherham 2.0 in which case we will struggle to sustain ourselves at any level above this.

20 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well I have no complaints of the players after today. They gave everything they had, and for long periods matched and were the better side in all departments except the final third. My main complaint is with the match officials. Yes, here he goes again - blame the ref, blame the EFL. Well today I am just being like virtually everyone else - I could fill several pages with all the bad decisions the man in yellow got wrong today. I suggested in previous seasons that referees were trying to outdo each other to win the "Worst ref of the season trophy". If that were the case, this season's trophy was sorted today.

Today we saw the players perform better than most recent matches, but what we are seeing is a club with a squad of only 15 players, with the only one in the prime age group being the goalkeeper. That is not enough to rotate the players in order to keep them fresh, and is also limiting because we also lack the capacity to change the match from the bench. Any club playing to these restrictions would have run out of steam by now, but then you have to dial in Warne's "flat out till you gas out" regime and it surprising that we have lasted so long. So to turn up and play like we did was remarkable. 

Like most I would like more than simply look for the long ball at the earliest opportunity, especially given the players we have. Having said that, the ball-to-feet style would not have been too effective against Ipswich because they pressed and harried really well, and also did plenty of "roughing us up" which tends to nullify actual football.

Mendez-Lang had his fullback on toast, but was less effective because he was playing wing-back instead of winger, and Collins had a better match today - largely because it wasn't as bad as other games! Plus he won two headers, including one on target, which can' be bad.

Finally: Come on Rick - THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! A penalty given against us with virtually no contact at all, a penalty denied after comparative GBH, a reasonable penalty shout today on Knight, and today's goal ruled out for a foul on the goalkeeper, who literally had no-one anywhere near him. WE have had two apologies from the match officials, but apologies do not get a team into the play-offs.

At least the EFL have changed their view, because last season, it was "Derby: you're going down". Whereas this season it is "Derby - you are not going up".

Well come on Derby - let's show them!!! COME ON YOU RAMS!

What about the ref that gave us two soft pens….was he at the dentist when all the other refs had their zoom meeting with the EFL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, LazloW said:

The incessant cheating in this league (or any league) is ridiculous.  Time wasting from the first goal and going down as if shot for every foul (or just falling over untouched and apparently needing physio's attention every time).  Yes, the ref at least made some bookings, but there could have been a lot more.  I'm sure we're just as guilty but I'd still love to be able to ask the managers whether they're proud of their players for being blatant cheats. 

It might help if the refs were up to the job but they aren't.  Today's was a joke.  Notwithstanding the disallowed goal (haven't seen a replay so no idea if justified) he probably didn't have a massive influence on the result; Ipswich were the better team.  Nevertheless, he was awful. Completely out of his depth. 

We weren't at it at all for the first 20-25 minutes then started to get a bit of a grip. Second half quite even but thought Ipswich always looked a bit more dangerous.  We didn't create enough.  However, I'm not going to have a mardy about it.  Sometimes you lose to better teams. I also think we're now playing as I thought we might all season; struggling at times against better teams, eking out wins against some teams at our level and occasionally being comfortable against the dross.  I think we've over-performed up to now and the small squad with either quite old or quite young players is creaking.  We obviously needed more in January but option were very limited.  I still think we'll sneak into the playoffs and that would be a major achievement given where we started from.

I agree regarding cheating but lets be consistent and call out Jason Knight for his diving if we are going to call out other teams.

Frustrated upset and angry today leaving the ground, hate losing but hate it even more when the opposition are such bad winners. Ipswich fans and players were complete Bamfords today!! Their arrogance rivals Forest. But all in all while it felt bad at the time, again we fell the wrong side of fine margins today. It was never a 2-0 game.

Ipswich are going up. Wouldn’t be surprised if they won the league. The best side to come to Derby this season. They don’t play the best football but they’re the complete team. They have goal threat, a bit of flair when they need it. Defensively they are excellent and concede very few chances, and at the Dark Arts of time wasting and cheating they are world class. Hope they do go up automatically as if we get them in the playoffs we don’t have enough to beat them. Would probably also say the same about Wednesday.

Regarding Derby, we got beaten up and outplayed in the first 25 minutes when Ipswich had their strongest spell of the game. That being said it was still a counter attack that did us, and an excellent one at that though Smith should’ve cut it out before it got to Chaplin. However we weathered the Storm and finished first half strongly in the last 15-20 mins, it was in this period McGoldrick missed an absolute sitter from a worldie Mendez cross, had to score. We carried that on into the second half and then the disallowed goal, watched it back no way should it have been disallowed, that goal is given and it’s a different game. Then the second goal sucker punch was probably the most disappointing moment of the day. Another counter, good save from Wildsmith but the reaction from the Derby players to the save was horrendous!! He had time to run back, turn with the ball, set himself and shoot, it was as if he was taking a penalty!! Really disappointing. 

We deserved to lose, we were beaten by a better team one with far more resources than we have right now, but again we were the wrong side of fine margins and were not that far away. That performance from 25 mins on gets 6 points against Forest Green and MK Dons. Then the table looks different again. 

As for where it went wrong today, some are blaming Warne. He at least tried something different, if he stuck with the last 2 games he’d have also been criticised. Right call to drop Hourihane and bring in Rooney. Did moving to wing backs stifle Mendez? Possibly. Understand putting Smith in midfield against Morsy and Luongo but thought Harvey White was the standout player at Peterborough and should’ve kept his place. Max Bird on the other hand carried on his poor performance from Peterborough and had a total stinker of a game. I’m a Max Bird fan but he’s struggled since he came back. Though I thought he spoke brilliantly after the game.

A few players are still off it. Cash and Foz are definitely out of form right now and struggling, Knight was better today but still needs more care with his end product. Mendez in and out but put in some excellent crosses. Shout out however to Collo who I thought was excellent today without much support at times. 

Still think we can turn this around. We were beaten by a better team but the performance wasn’t awful, it wasn’t far off from where we needed it to be apart from first half hour. Peterborough and Wycombe were at home to relegation candidates today, couldn’t win. We have a great chance to get 6 points next weekend. Pompey are now the team I’m most concerned about, that game on the 29th looks humongous!! 

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Good post.

I'm not laying blame exclusively at Warne's door really, I just hoped that there might be more to his approach given his success in this league by but at this stage I'm doubting whether he can adapt, or whether it's just a case of bringing in players to make us Rotherham 2.0 in which case we will struggle to sustain ourselves at any level above this.

I think that he has struggled to adapt, we all have our own ways and methods of working, adapting to change is the often the most difficult thing we all do.  I am disappointed, not in him per se, but because I thought he HAD been able to adapt and get the best out of the players at hand, but that now seems to have slipped.  The lack of any ability to sign in January prevented him from making even the slightest shift towards his preferred way of working which did not help.  If he is able to bring more players in that are in his mould, then it would be fine by me.  I understand your reservations about that, but note that before he left Rotherham they were doing pretty well in the championship and even given their slump since are quite likely to get another season up there.

Its obvious today Ipswich are serious auto contenders with pace, power and punished us on the break. Had Cashins goal been awarded  it was turning our way but bad referring cost us again. Like to see 352 set continue but without Collins get young Brown in. 

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Frustrated upset and angry today leaving the ground, hate losing but hate it even more when the opposition are such bad winners. Ipswich fans and players were complete Bamfords today!! Their arrogance rivals Forest. But all in all while it felt bad at the time, again we fell the wrong side of fine margins today. It was never a 2-0 game.

Ipswich are going up. Wouldn’t be surprised if they won the league. The best side to come to Derby this season. They don’t play the best football but they’re the complete team. They have goal threat, a bit of flair when they need it. Defensively they are excellent and concede very few chances, and at the Dark Arts of time wasting and cheating they are world class. Hope they do go up automatically as if we get them in the playoffs we don’t have enough to beat them. Would probably also say the same about Wednesday.

Regarding Derby, we got beaten up and outplayed in the first 25 minutes when Ipswich had their strongest spell of the game. That being said it was still a counter attack that did us, and an excellent one at that though Smith should’ve cut it out before it got to Chaplin. However we weathered the Storm and finished first half strongly in the last 15-20 mins, it was in this period McGoldrick missed an absolute sitter from a worldie Mendez cross, had to score. We carried that on into the second half and then the disallowed goal, watched it back no way should it have been disallowed, that goal is given and it’s a different game. Then the second goal sucker punch was probably the most disappointing moment of the day. Another counter, good save from Wildsmith but the reaction from the Derby players to the save was horrendous!! He had time to run back, turn with the ball, set himself and shoot, it was as if he was taking a penalty!! Really disappointing. 

We deserved to lose, we were beaten by a better team one with far more resources than we have right now, but again we were the wrong side of fine margins and were not that far away. That performance from 25 mins on gets 6 points against Forest Green and MK Dons. Then the table looks different again. 

As for where it went wrong today, some are blaming Warne. He at least tried something different, if he stuck with the last 2 games he’d have also been criticised. Right call to drop Hourihane and bring in Rooney. Did moving to wing backs stifle Mendez? Possibly. Understand putting Smith in midfield against Morsy and Luongo but thought Harvey White was the standout player at Peterborough and should’ve kept his place. Max Bird on the other hand carried on his poor performance from Peterborough and had a total stinker of a game. I’m a Max Bird fan but he’s struggled since he came back. Though I thought he spoke brilliantly after the game.

A few players are still off it. Cash and Foz are definitely out of form right now and struggling, Knight was better today but still needs more care with his end product. Mendez in and out but put in some excellent crosses. Shout out however to Collo who I thought was excellent today without much support at times. 

Still think we can turn this around. We were beaten by a better team but the performance wasn’t awful, it wasn’t far off from where we needed it to be apart from first half hour. Peterborough and Wycombe were at home to relegation candidates today, couldn’t win. We have a great chance to get 6 points next weekend. Pompey are now the team I’m most concerned about, that game on the 29th looks humongous!! 

I like this.  Thanks.  But you may be missing the game plan that Ipswich used.  It was surely to start on the front foot, silence or rile the crowd and then largely use counterattacks against a slower team.  The time-wasting was a deliberate ploy, not because - as some other teams - they were unwilling to go toe to toe with us.  When you say the first goal was 'still a counter attack' it is as if you think it was a below par goal.  In my opinion for league 1 it was brilliant in its pace.  By not noticing the skills of one of the top teams we beat ourselves up unnecessarily.