Peterborough United vs Derby County

cannable

21 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Just don't buy tiredness as an excuse.

Firstly, start of the season we were talking about how a lot of the lads hadn't had a full preseason and were getting up to speed in the first few opening games. By that logic, surely we would peak later in the season and fade later also? Peterborough and all other clubs have had a longer season than some of our free agents who were out of contract and had a longer break than others?

Secondly, if your players are knackered on a matchday, that's a training issue. You can absolutely manage a players fitness to fill out a season. Recovery sessions, reduced workloads etc. Shouldn't take much for a professional footballer to rest and recover and be back ready to go

Thirdly, I know we have a thin squad but it's not like we don't have ample cover in every position. We could rest players if we needed to

We have the smallest squad in this division.

We have don't anyone 22-29, the peak fitness/stamina years.

We played gas out football, ie trying to outrun the opposition.    

The players weren't brought in with that in mind

Even when we were winning games, we didn't control the game and see it out, we kept pressing on.

We didn't have a full pre-season where you put the fuel in the tank. 

We are gassed out. NML, Barkhuizen and Hourihane especially. They barely have a half of game in them.

The full cost of the embargo was felt in Jan as much as July, maybe even more so.

Warne will know all this but can't say it publicly till the end of the season.

Edited by sage

2 minutes ago, sage said:

We don't anyone 22-29, the peak fitness/stamina years.

Even when we were winning games, we didn't control the game and see it out, we kept pressing on.

We are gassed out. NML, Bakhuizen and Hourihane especially. They barely have a half of football in them.

The full cost of the embargo was felt in Jan as much as July, maybe even more so.

This is my thoughts exactly, having our hands tied in Jan has killed us.

10 minutes ago, alram said:

it seemed a bizzare decision at the time i was happy to let it play out, but its not looking great at the minute from clowes

You cant blame him for bringing warne in, we were all moaning about the style we were playing and hes brought in an experience manager in this league! Warne has just ran out of ideas thats because of the players we are stuck with! Maybe it should be the management you should be questioning 

10 minutes ago, jameso said:

I think let the jury retire for a little longer. No funds doesn't seem a fair test of a manager and I don't believe he inherited a squad that was nailed on for promotion or even the play-offs. Different plans work for different sets of players, but if you're short in key positions, I'm not sure which plan works for that.

Its not done yet, true. We do have a run of four or five games coming up after the next one that look very winnable. But we had 5 very winnable home games recently and only won two. And our record against half decent teams in this League is shockingly bad.  

Edited by PistoldPete

5 minutes ago, sage said:

We don't anyone 22-29, the peak fitness/stamina years.

We are gassed out. NML, Bakhuizen and Hourihane especially. They barely have a half of football in them.

Never stop posting sage, never stop 👏🏻

9 minutes ago, caymanram said:

My biggest concern with PW is that he never accepts that tactically he got anything wrong. The slow reaction to other teams’ changes is happening time after time.

The train has definitely gone off the rails. Lack of confidence with the players is obviously a big driver but there’s something deeper…

When PW has the opportunity to get his own players in...you know the type that this division is pretty much all about...strength and fitness, There's a lot of "I told you so" or "sack Warne if we fail to make the play offs" "he's no plan "B", The problem that has come about this last month or so is the players look tired, We have a small squad of 20 players, The bench in full of young and old uns, There isn't much to mix it up with ATM.

Character is an attribute that players need, I don't think we have that many...you know the ones...role the sleeves up and get stuck in, Finger pointing at his own players, A Captain that demands respect, We all got carried away with the cracking run, We're still in with a shout of the play offs...Collins talked the talk after the defeat to Fleetwood, It's about time the players learned to walk the walk.

11 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It is proving to be a bit of a repetitive issue. Opposition change things and our Mr Warne doesn’t seem to have the ability to counter it. 
It is a problem. 

I don't think he's got the players to counter it, if we're talking about subs and formation shifts 

...but surely it must dawn on him that if the opposition have had a poor first half then they might just come out second half with a word in their ear from the manager and up their game for 15-20 minutes, so perhaps try to tighten things up, load the midfield, sit back a bit, do the defensive basics right and then look to take back control? Instead we stay just open and give the opposition chances to break on us. 

We had a warning before the goal, we didn't learn from it.

17 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It is proving to be a bit of a repetitive issue. Opposition change things and our Mr Warne doesn’t seem to have the ability to counter it. 
It is a problem. 

Indeed. second half fade is a real issue, and part of that is due to opposition making changes and then Warne not willing or able to do any changes himself. 

You only have to look at our form against the top half sides compared to the bottom 10 to show what is going on.

The amazing run we had coincided with playing crap teams. Beating Cambridge, Morecombe, Accrington and Forest Green in succession while throwing in a lucky last-gasp win at Port Vale got to people’s heads.

We are flat track bullies. And we struggle the moment we play a decent side.

First half was very good but up front we are toothless , two good strikers in this side and we could've been 2 or 3 up thats the difference

The midfield 3 i thought dominated the game and we were miles better than them but we lack pace up front, Didzy and Collins aren't the answer and although Didzy has been good I thought he looked his age today 

3 minutes ago, alram said:

how old are you mate? genuine question

when you get into your 30s recovery, training and keeping fit become much more difficult especially as a pro athlete.

there is a reason why most clubs avoid stacking their squad full of pensioners

Good job Wildsmith, Cashin, White, Bird, Knight, Dobbin, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Rooney, Springett, Roberts are all nowhere near 30 isn't it then?

Fun fact, you could play all of these and rest all the "pensioners" for a week. Surely they don't need any more than that, otherwise they wouldn't still be playing the game? I mean, Forsyth isn't doing a bad job each week? Nor is McGoldrick. Nor is Hourihane or Mendez Laing a lot of the time

Tiredness is a lazy excuse. You're a professional athlete with world class facilities and staff at your disposal. Cut out the midweek drinking if you can't hack it

30 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

We can have a good first half or a good second half but if we don’t score in our good half we concede in our “not so good” half.  

Yes - should have scored first half but didnt but overall happy with first half other than no goal. But after half time just gave it to them. Definite penalty in front of us not given again. 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

First half was very good but up front we are toothless , two good strikers in this side and we could've been 2 or 3 up thats the difference

The midfield 3 i thought dominated the game and we were miles better than them but we lack pace up front, Didzy and Collins aren't the answer and although Didzy has been good I thought he looked his age today 

Yes Didzy did. Never managed to replace Osula and its really really cost us