Fleetwood Home Sat 18th March 3.00pm

hintonsboots

4 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Our next game is against you but got to wait two weeks because of international soccer before it.  Damn nuisance as we're really hitting targets now and don't need no break under such momentum.     I'm kind of perplexed by County's erratic form in the last few weeks. Obviously we'll be looking to take you out such is our position on the verge of an automatic promotion.      Your team appears to be struggling, it's a shame we got you next up as our own team is looking real promising right now.     It would be churlish to predict a Town victory in front of your own fans but I got so much confidence in our abilities right now.     The league status doesn't lie but other than Sheffield I feel we probably are the best team this division can offer right now.    

I understand defeat in this league, it's no fun being beaten like today particularly a recognized name more established than most others but you got to ask yourself how much do you really want it.     Our success comes from a reliable array of attackers, a goalkeeper that has been arguably one of the league's finest and a manager who knows what he wants and how to get it.    Add to that a certain momentum and belief that a number of other squads seem to lack.     I think the international interim will suit County better, had you played us at the regular schedule I'd be real confident of taking a result from it.       

Got as far as "County's" then just turned and walked away... 

5 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Our next game is against you but got to wait two weeks because of international soccer before it.  Damn nuisance as we're really hitting targets now and don't need no break under such momentum.     I'm kind of perplexed by County's erratic form in the last few weeks. Obviously we'll be looking to take you out such is our position on the verge of an automatic promotion.      Your team appears to be struggling, it's a shame we got you next up as our own team is looking real promising right now.     It would be churlish to predict a Town victory in front of your own fans but I got so much confidence in our abilities right now.     The league status doesn't lie but other than Sheffield I feel we probably are the best team this division can offer right now.    

I understand defeat in this league, it's no fun being beaten like today particularly a recognized name more established than most others but you got to ask yourself how much do you really want it.     Our success comes from a reliable array of attackers, a goalkeeper that has been arguably one of the league's finest and a manager who knows what he wants and how to get it.    Add to that a certain momentum and belief that a number of other squads seem to lack.     I think the international interim will suit County better, had you played us at the regular schedule I'd be real confident of taking a result from it.       

I am sure you are lovely but your post is the most tone deaf to perhaps ever grace this forum. Read the room.

There is so much wrong with the content of your post, the timing of it and thread you posted in I dont know where to start but your lack of knowledge of our club, the position we are in and the league is astounding. We dont have an "international interim" for a start.
You realise Ted Lasso is fiction?  I wonder if Chris Kirchner is allowed internet access also? 

Have to begin by giving credit to Fleetwood. I thought they were excellent all game, dominated the 50/50 challenges, moved the ball around with purpose on the floor & barely gave us a sniff in their final third. Thoroughly deserved their two goal winning margin. Scott Brown doing a decent job there on scant resources, be interesting to see how his managerial career develops.

Clearly yesterday was something of an outlier in terms of our performance levels - only Barnsley away is comparable in terms of the shambolic nature. Firstly, I don't think I've seen a performance as lethargic for some time (lethargy wasn't the issue at Oakwell) - we were disinclined to push out after clearing from defence & this meant whenever Springett or Collins got near a hoofed clearance, they were hopelessly outnumbered. We also failed to commit men to the final third - whenever a cross did come in, there was often only Collins in there. Its no surprise therefore that we struggled to get any shots on target & I think criticism of Collins is harsh given the total lack of support he was given & the poor quality of ball he had to feed on.

The biggest crime for me though was the total lack of precision - passes constantly misplaced, heavy touches & a total lack of imagination when on the ball. We all know Warne likes perpetual energy but a high work rate is a basic at this level - you also need class & unpredictability when in possession & we simply did not have that - Fleetwood did.

I also did not like the timing of the early substitutes - whilst its true we were making no impact in the final 3rd, hauling off Tony Springett before half-time, a young lad making his way in the game, was totally unnecessary & smacked of a manager throwing him under the bus. That sub could have waited until half-time.

Onto Peterborough & Ipswich and whilst destiny is still in our hands, we need to demonstrate we can get results against top half teams - something we have not been good at this season. We have to avoid defeat Peterborough as a base minimum - lose that & our top 6 spot will start to look very dicey indeed. A reminder of Warne's league record to date below - I want to see a performance at Peterborough befitting of a top 6 contender, not that a flat track bully being shown up;

image.png.f1786c15b97cf18b2d78df750b164395.png

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I can cope with losing to a better side, I can cope if they run their hearts out win tackles but ultimately succumb to lack of quality, but putting a shift in and having a go at the opposition are two absolute fundamentals to play for Derby County (or any club), that first half fell so far short of the basic standards we expect and the fans had a right to let the players know about it. 

Very well put. It was the zero effort that was the issue. 

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Surprise surprise?

Just before Wycombe away we had won six in a row and were 15 unbeaten.

Just before Wycombe away, the same XI had beaten Morecambe 5-0.

But OK, clearly you know better than the manager.

I think you are being very harsh on Warne and the players.

I described it as a meltdown, which you say doesn't compare with 2014-15 when we dropped from 1st to 8th and out of the play offs. In that run we got just 20 points from our last 17 games. Our current run is 11 points from 9, which if repeated over the final 9 games will give us a total of 22 points from 18. So really no different.. if anything the 2014-15 meltdown can be excused by the horrific load of injuries we had 3 of our CDMs all out injured at the same time for example.  

So really the only mitigating thing at the moment is that neither our season nor the meltdown are complete. There is still time to retrieve things. But I really don't like the trajectory, always thought this season would be tough as it would take players time to gel. But we seem to be getting worse.   

14 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Have to begin by giving credit to Fleetwood. I thought they were excellent all game, dominated the 50/50 challenges, moved the ball around with purpose on the floor & barely gave us a sniff in their final third. Thoroughly deserved their two goal winning margin. Scott Brown doing a decent job there on scant resources, be interesting to see how his managerial career develops.

Clearly yesterday was something of an outlier in terms of our performance levels - only Barnsley away is comparable in terms of the shambolic nature. Firstly, I don't think I've seen a performance as lethargic for some time (lethargy wasn't the issue at Oakwell) - we were disinclined to push out after clearing from defence & this meant whenever Springett or Collins got near a hoofed clearance, they were hopelessly outnumbered. We also failed to commit men to the final third - whenever a cross did come in, there was often only Collins in there. Its no surprise therefore that we struggled to get any shots on target & I think criticism of Collins is harsh given the total lack of support he was given & the poor quality of ball he had to feed on.

The biggest crime for me though was the total lack of precision - passes constantly misplaced, heavy touches & a total lack of imagination when on the ball. We all know Warne likes perpetual energy but a high work rate is a basic at this level - you also need class & unpredictability when in possession & we simply did not have that - Fleetwood did.

I also did not like the timing of the early substitutes - whilst its true we were making no impact in the final 3rd, hauling off Tony Springett before half-time, a young lad making his way in the game, was totally unnecessary & smacked of a manager throwing him under the bus. That sub could have waited until half-time.

Onto Peterborough & Ipswich and whilst destiny is still in our hands, we need to demonstrate we can get results against top half teams - something we have not been good at this season. We have to avoid defeat Peterborough as a base minimum - lose that & our top 6 spot will start to look very dicey indeed. A reminder of Warne's league record to date below - I want to see a performance at Peterborough befitting of a top 6 contender, not that a flat track bully being shown up;

image.png.f1786c15b97cf18b2d78df750b164395.png

Tend to pretty much agree with all this, Warne definitely got his selection wrong, McGoldrick ended up playing 50 odd minutes, don’t see why he could not start them come off after an hour?

Felt for Collins and Springett a bit, both short on confidence but Collins doesn’t help himself, seems to get involved in everything other than getting the ball under control, the service wasn’t great but he has to do better.

NML hasn’t played well for weeks and I don’t understand his continued selection, seems he’s playing for what he could potentially do given past performances rather than current form. 

Davies unfortunately isn’t up to speed and will never get there like he was last season as he just hasn’t played enough, however he wasn’t helped today by Smith’s indecision and generally bad decision making. I would play Rooney and tell him that position is his barring injury until the end of the season. 

Cashin continues to have an off spell, wants to win every ball, you could trace their first goal back to Cashin putting the ball out for a throw in the left back area when he could simply have turned and gone back to Wildsmith.

Having said all that it’s nice to be moaning about football after last year and this season has in my opinion been better than could have been expected, hopefully see what the playoffs bring and if not go again next year with a Warne team. The potential teams coming down don’t fill me with worry and the league next year would be of less quality?

1 hour ago, sage said:

We have 2 problems

The size and age of the squad 

Balancing the selection of good players who are tired and poor players who aren't. 

Everything else is candy floss

Add another 2

If McGoldrick does not score we haven't got much else.

Lack of pace with CBs. I watched the "highlights" and for the second goal watching Cashin trying to get back is not a a good look. He looks like he is running through treacle

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

We usually agree. I would be sympathetic to this argument if we weren't going backward and badly. I've never been convinced about warne and this stretch of form is confirming my worst suspicions. It's a hack job going bad at a bigger club that he can't micromanage. I really fear where this is heading tbh and under rosenior a completely untested manager we were in  the hunt for the playoffs with a better account vs the top half 

We do.

11 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Add another 2

If McGoldrick does not score we haven't got much else.

Lack of pace with CBs. I watched the "highlights" and for the second goal watching Cashin trying to get back is not a a good look. He looks like he is running through treacle

2 players who are good but tired.

The alternatives are Davies and Collins 

I rest my case

5 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

I appreciate/assume you’re based in the US but there really is no excuse for not making the effort and calling it football rather than soccer on a UK forum. As others have pointed out, we’re not “County”. We’re Derby, Derby County or The Rams. Also “taking teams out” is not a phrase you will ever hear in UK football.

I normally welcome polite and sensible comments from apposition fans but the above, along with your shocking timing and harping on about how good “Town” are has, predictably, riled a few of us.

Finally, judging by your double negative “don’t need no break” I assume you actually welcome an international break. ?

Please revisit our forum but apply a little more thought and sensitivity next time.

Been trying to think of something erudite to add to all of this and all I can think of is poor old Foz! What should’ve been a day to celebrate him has got completely lost in that performance and the aftermath. I’m not sure a decade playing at one club is something we’ll see happen too often in league football again. Cheers Fozzy lad

Edited by DiggerB

34 minutes ago, David Graham Brown said:

Rule two, always start with your best team.

We've overplayed our better players (Mcgoldrick, Mendez laing, Knight, Cashin..).

This has resulted in them either getting injury or losing form - Mendez Laing was on fire early season.

It's the fact Collins, White, Springett etc are not taking the chance when given minutes and we've resorted to overplaying a tired Mcgoldrick we struggle 

Edited by Papahet

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought he should have done better with both goals, poor positioning for both.

It’s true he might have been too far forward for the first but debatable and it was a wonder strike ( which didn’t go in). The second was very well taken by Gomes and not a keeper error imo.

On the second goal, it’s worth watching Fozzie’s Olympian sprint from the half way line (after which his missed tackle as he tried to avoid conceding a penalty was unfortunate rather than negligent). Compare it to Hourihane’s effort - The flying Fozzie arrives and Hourihane stops running, despite then still being in the action.  He’s becoming an expensive midfielder Hourihane, in terms of our goals conceded. Warne should have considered a few games ago what the team looks like without him imo 

8 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We've overplayed our better players (Mcgoldrick, Mendez laing, Knight, Cashin..).

This has resulted in them either getting injury or losing form - Mendez Laing was on fire early season.

It's the fact Collins, White, Springett etc are not taking the chance when given minutes and we've resorted to overplaying a tired Mcgoldrick we struggle 

I agree, however not starting with our best eleven resulted in those players, being on the pitch longer, and worse playing catch up. I know hindsight is a wonderful gift. 

14 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s true he might have been too far forward for the first but debatable and it was a wonder strike ( which didn’t go in). The second was very well taken by Gomes and not a keeper error imo...

And left a huge gap at his near post for the 2nd. Compare his positioning for the excellent near post save in the 2nd half. I rate him, at this level, but his performance was off, as was others in the first half.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, sage said:

We have 2 problems

The size and age of the squad 

Balancing the selection of good players who are tired and poor players who aren't. 

Everything else is candy floss

Accordingly to some other posters you've left out the elephant in the room for number 3 which is Warne. 

38 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s true he might have been too far forward for the first but debatable and it was a wonder strike ( which didn’t go in). The second was very well taken by Gomes and not a keeper error imo.

On the second goal, it’s worth watching Fozzie’s Olympian sprint from the half way line (after which his missed tackle as he tried to avoid conceding a penalty was unfortunate rather than negligent). Compare it to Hourihane’s effort - The flying Fozzie arrives and Hourihane stops running, despite then still being in the action.  He’s becoming an expensive midfielder Hourihane, in terms of our goals conceded. Warne should have considered a few games ago what the team looks like without him imo 

Marriott wasn't being covered as bizarrly our centre half who should have been marking him was losing the ball 25 yards from the oppositions goal leading to a breakaway.  Davies aware of Marriott in free space delayed coming out and then moved 2 yards in the same time as someone in a spacesuit at zero gravity.  Theres your fault for the goal.