Fleetwood Home Sat 18th March 3.00pm

hintonsboots

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Agreed. If Hourihane is to blame for that goal then no more so than several others. Fozzie puts in a nothing cross and when it rebounds to him he loses the 50:50. Hardly critical in that position more times than not. Fleetwood get control of the ball and Cashin takes a hopeful swish, missing the ball and landing flat on his backside. Now the break is on and Hourihane, Forsyth, Davies, Cashin and Smith are running back (different speeds, different trajectories). Hourihane pursues until Forsyth overtakes and is clearly first in line to make a block, but he's completely bamboozled by the cut inside, and Hourihane doesn't seem to have anticipated it either, but arguably he's now not in the best position to guard against it without giving away a penalty. Davies is covering his options with a sort of hopeful slump-block which might get in the way of a shot to either post (probably fractionally unsighting Wildsmith in the process) but it doesn't work.

Absolutely no-one covered themselves in glory with that, but it was still a fairly unusual sort of goal and very well finished. What was not unusual in the context of the match was how often (before and after) Fleetwood looked dangerous down the flanks. 

A large section on here have been critical of Hourihane for months regardless of what he actually does contribute on the pitch. He is one of the worst players we have ever had , defensively. Not sure that Warne is using him in a way that utilises his best skills. The defensive role he has in midfield just doesn't suit  That said he gives the ball away far less than many and his dead ball kicks can be very good and has scored some key goals . Barkhuisen's corners yesterday were awful and can't be blamed on 'tactics', just a low skill level.

5 minutes ago, DRBee said:

A large section on here have been critical of Hourihane for months regardless of what he actually does contribute on the pitch. He is one of the worst players we have ever had , defensively. Not sure that Warne is using him in a way that utilises his best skills. The defensive role he has in midfield just doesn't suit  That said he gives the ball away far less than many and his dead ball kicks can be very good and has scored some key goals . Barkhuisen's corners yesterday were awful and can't be blamed on 'tactics', just a low skill level.

For me Hourihane is one of the biggest disappointments of the season because even the things you'd hope he'd do 9 times out of 10 (like put in high quality set-pieces), he's so hit-and-miss with. But compared to earlier in the season, I think he's upped his game.

I agree with you that his current position probably doesn't get the best out of him, and to me we looked so fragile when it was him and White for a couple of games. I thought Bird coming back in would shore that up a bit, but ultimately I think Bird, White and Knight are a better midfield 3 than any combination with Hourihane - they all cover the ground better, Bird and White have as good a passing range, White is decent on set-pieces, and Knight is a threat going forward.

The irony with the corners is that we had a couple of games where Sibley took flat ones which defences struggled to deal with... now Hourihane gets them by default and then when he's off the pitch Sibley isn't still on it himself to take them!

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Haven’t we got a mix of youth and experience? Cashin, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Roberts, with White, Rooney and Dobbin chipping in, along with the experienced Fozzy, Conor, NML, Barks, Collins and McGoldrick ?

I'm more talking about players who are at the mid point in their career, most of the younger players you've listed can be a bit lightweight at times (with Cashin and Knight being the exceptions). We are more a lads and dads side than a good mix, but that can be rectified with a few good signings. 

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why are some L1 Twitter admins so provocative? Not the first club this season.

Just over the moon at what they achieved against a bigger club. Would we not have felt the same in a similar situation? Were we not just as pleased when we took four points from Fulham and three from Bournemouth when we had our backs to the wall last season? It might even be the pinnacle of Fleetwood's achievements against one club in a season since they came into the EFL. Fair play to them as far as I'm concerned. They deserved it.

17 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Just over the moon at what they achieved against a bigger club. Would we not have felt the same in a similar situation? Were we not just as pleased when we took four points from Fulham and three from Bournemouth when we had our backs to the wall last season? It might even be the pinnacle of Fleetwood's achievements against one club in a season since they came into the EFL. Fair play to them as far as I'm concerned. They deserved it.

Tbf they deserved 3 points yesterday but not 1 point or a clean sheet at their place - that was down to luck and our poor finishing.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I know this isn't an Instagram site but so far 11 people have given positive feedback to the post your alluding to, with only one person providing the laughing emoji. You.

So it would appear that whatever you've read into my post hasn't been interpreted by the other 11 forum members, which would lead to a reasonable conclusion being made that you tried to further some personal agenda of your own and/or create a strawman argument as another poster has quite rightly pointed out. 

I simply found the post funny, for the specific reasons stated, others didn't. That doesn't make me wrong to have been tickled by it.

Shoot me.

Trying to read any more into it than that.... naaaah. Away with you! 

28 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Of course they are going to gloat though. Why shouldn’t they? 

They deserved to win and are right to celebrate their success but “gloating” is something that should be left to fans not a fellow professional football club. It’s not a big deal and I won’t lose any sleep over it but it doesn’t feel very big or clever to me. But then again, DCTV (as Rams TV was called back then I think) did release a DVD to celebrate the deforestation. I have a copy on my bookshelf. ?

Edited by Tamworthram

49 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I’m sure their 285 fans enjoyed the big day out.

Their 285 fans represented 8.4% of their average home attendance, The 1100 we took to Fleetwood represented 4.1% of our average home attendance. I think they did very well with their turn out yesterday for a club their size, which stands just seven places below us in the English football pyramid. I think we need to be a bit more humble while we are still in this league.

7 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Their 285 fans represented 8.4% of their average home attendance, The 1100 we took to Fleetwood represented 4.1% of our average home attendance. I think they did very well with their turn out yesterday for a club their size, which stands just seven places below us in the English football pyramid. I think we need to be a bit more humble while we are still in this league.

Damned lies and statistics, we took as many as we were allowed to and would have took many more if we had more tickets.

This was their first trip to Pride park and other clubs of a similar size brought many more.

As for being humble, I have enjoyed the hospitality of the smaller clubs this season and always show respect.

Jim’s bar at Fleetwood pre match is one of the best in the league.

4 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Damned lies and statistics, we took as many as we were allowed to and would have took many more if we had more tickets.

This was their first trip to Pride park and other clubs of a similar size brought many more.

As for being humble, I have enjoyed the hospitality of the smaller clubs this season and always show respect.

You beat me to it. Fleetwood tickets didn’t even reach general sale.

On 18/03/2023 at 16:10, Barney1991 said:

I get the sentiment of not nearly having a club but how many times can you use that excuse for an inept performance. They’ve had 8 months to gel and some players have regressed the last few weeks. Look at cashin for example who we were saying was immense and worth millions yet since the West Ham game he’s been a shadow of a player. The 2 areas that have cost us is not getting a right back not only in the summer but also in January and not replacing osula. Also come the summer I’d be packing James Collins bags and sending him on his way 

This season was always going to be up and down. The fact their in the playoffs is fairly good in my opinion. Booing them isn't the answer

4 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

That was is response to a post on another thread 

"Give it a rest with the Warne bashing… whilst we had full squad available selection available we looked half a yard off the pace all over the pitch.. that is not down to Warne, the players are likely to be more fatigue" - so yes actually, someone did explicity say it!

There have been plenty of posts throughout Warne's time here that seek to brush any discussion of any potential flaws in his under the carpet. Yesterday Fleetwood managed to rip up the carpet and a whole load of s*** got exposed. Problems can't just be ignored forever.

Saying it isn't Warne's fault for low energy and being off the pace isn't saying that Warne is completely free from all blame or that he doesn't influence things. It's a fact that we use less players than other teams and have a smaller squad. That's a reasonable analysis of the situation. 

Blame Warne for things that he can control. But with context, and reason. You act like he has a cult around him, when in reality people are just defending Warne as he is limited by what he has to work with. 

20 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

The only two clubs to have visited Pride Park this season who are of comparable size to Fleetwood are Forest Green and Accrington who brought 311 and 345, which is not 'many more' than the 295 that Fleetwood brought. Jim, I have no doubt, may be very thankful for your comments about his bar; the travelling fans yesterday less so. I think they might look upon your reference to them as sour grapes.

Of course the tickets at Fleetwood did not make general sale and if we had more tickets we may well have equalled or exceeded their 8.4% attendance at Pride Park. But when we went to Morecambe, we were allocated 1800 tickets and there were 400 empty away seats. Perhaps we are not as massive as some think. Away grounds are not selling out to watch us play because we are not famous any more.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

These aren't good stats at all. We are the very definition of flat track bullies in this league. It may be enough to get us top six with the likes of Burton, MK Dons and Forest Green still to play. But beyond that I don't hold much hope.

This is something we will have to deal with over the course of the next two months, with Peterborough, Sheffield Wednesday away and Ipswich at home before we even get into the play-offs. 

My biggest question mark for the rest of the season is the likes of Jason Knight, Max Bird and others are absolutely going to have to produce something other than looking like a comfortable League One players. Scott Twine got 20 goals and 13 assists at this level last season, yet has struggled for game time at Burnley. Jason Knight, who has played in a similar position in a better team, has managed 1 goal and 2 assists in 12 games playing in that number 10 role. 

These players should be needle movers at this level and their ability isn't in question, but when all said and done can we truthfully say that to be the case. You look at the players in Knight's position playing at this level and doing well - Conor Chaplin, Tom Bayliss, Finn Azaz... these are all players who are going to struggle to hold down a position in the Championship, especially in a Championship team with expectations.