Fleetwood Home Sat 18th March 3.00pm

hintonsboots

I have not commented on  this forum in years as I have not really had the need but recently I have started to have serious concerns about certain aspects of Warne’s management that he needs to work on , let alone the players.

Firstly it has been quite obvious that Curtis’ legs have gone. Much as I love the guy it was sad to see him look totally lost,  I know that PW said they had a bad day at the training office but it must be obvious that CD is struggling. it must be so easy to see in training, so why play him?
Tactically it could have been altered within the first 15 by bringing Roberts on. Fossie also looks slow on the left and it then exposed Cashin, who then started to wobble as he was not sure who was around him. A good manager doesn’t soldier on, he affects changes. Too much dwelling and no incisiveness. If I and those all around me can see the issue, then why can’t the paid professionals?
Because he didn’t make immediate changes the result was destabilising team morale by changing two players two minutes before half time, that were symptoms of the issue but not the cause.

My major concern is that we underestimate the opposition, as most of the lesser teams are physically aggressive, crunch up the mid-field and do a press on the back four, although the press was not massively evident yesterday. We are predictable and easy to play, opponents stop our game and then we fall into midfield head tennis and channel balls invariably going nowhere. We need to learn how to counter this if we are to progress but i do not see much evidence of this on the field. PW must work on this, along with the development of further strategic planning in the event that a team does A, then changes to plan B and so on; which has been evident from the opposition in many recent games. 

One thing that is clearly evident from this league, is that there is a good set of opposition coaches that use quite a lot of guile and gamesmanship to get results. Just running faster is not the answer, we need to be developing other dimensions to our play and taking note of what to expect.

2 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

I have not commented on  this forum in years as I have not really had the need but recently I have started to have serious concerns about certain aspects of Warne’s management that he needs to work on , let alone the players.

Firstly it has been quite obvious that Curtis’ legs have gone. Much as I love the guy it was sad to see him look totally lost,  I know that PW said they had a bad day at the training office but it must be obvious that CD is struggling. it must be so easy to see in training, so why play him?
Tactically it could have been altered within the first 15 by bringing Roberts on. Fossie also looks slow on the left and it then exposed Cashin, who then started to wobble as he was not sure who was around him. A good manager doesn’t soldier on, he affects changes. Too much dwelling and no incisiveness. If I and those all around me can see the issue, then why can’t the paid professionals?
Because he didn’t make immediate changes the result was destabilising team morale by changing two players two minutes before half time, that were symptoms of the issue but not the cause.

My major concern is that we underestimate the opposition, as most of the lesser teams are physically aggressive, crunch up the mid-field and do a press on the back four, although the press was not massively evident yesterday.  We need to learn how to counter this if we are to progress but i do not see much evidence of this on the field. PW must work on this, along with the development of further strategic planning in the event that a team does A, then changes to plan B and so on; which has been evident from the opposition in many recent games. 

One thing that is clearly evident from this league, is that there is a good set of opposition coaches that use quite a lot of guile and gamesmanship to get results. Just running faster is not the answer, we need to be developing other dimensions to our play and taking note of what to expect.

I agree that this happens fairly regular but yesterday a team with probably a fifth of the budget worked harder and created the better chances.  The performance was terrible.  I would also happily swop the much maligned Marriott who did the job of stretching the defence and creating space far more effectively than Collins who spends all his energy moaning like fook and waving his arms at the ref and scuffling.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

My random thoughts on yesterday:-

Worst home performance since Scunthorpe in the Nigel Clough years for me.

Starting team selection was wrong.

The substitutions 2 minutes before half time humiliating for the players taken off.

Davies cannot be starting matches anymore.

Cashin is having a really rough patch and its culminating in us conceding 2 or more goals on a regular basis now.

Bird didn't look back up to speed.

First 4 substitutions didnt have much impact.

Dobbin looked like he might make something happen.

The difference between our target man and their target man was night and day.

Irony is that Dobbin only came in because NML was injured. The first four at least steadied the ship. 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s true he might have been too far forward for the first but debatable and it was a wonder strike ( which didn’t go in). The second was very well taken by Gomes and not a keeper error imo.

On the second goal, it’s worth watching Fozzie’s Olympian sprint from the half way line (after which his missed tackle as he tried to avoid conceding a penalty was unfortunate rather than negligent). Compare it to Hourihane’s effort - The flying Fozzie arrives and Hourihane stops running, despite then still being in the action.  He’s becoming an expensive midfielder Hourihane, in terms of our goals conceded. Warne should have considered a few games ago what the team looks like without him imo 

Yes a wonder strike, Given by Forsyth not getting a good header which fell to their number 9.

2nd goal, Again Forsyth losing possession just outside of their 18 yard area, Forget his "Olympian sprint" as it was his c*** up to start with, Ball shifted forward, A bit of trickery in the box by theirs, Davis makes a lumbering challenge and a goal.

We were out done by a team that wanted it more than us ?? 

11 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

You think this was so different to the 4-1 defeat at Barnsley or the 2-2 draw against Shrewsbury in the end. it is a performance closer to where we are heading than where we would like to be.

So what are you suggesting Leeds, we sack Warne then what? I liked Liam and was surprised and disappointed that we let him go. But the decision has been made and I think we need to get behind Warne. He hasn’t had the easiest of jobs and there was always going to be a blip along the road after our wonderful run. I don’t want to go back to the rollercoaster of sacking managers after less than a season, especially when we are still in the top 6 and starting all over again. Let’s show a bit of patience and see what happens ?

19 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

My major concern is that we underestimate the opposition, as most of the lesser teams are physically aggressive, crunch up the mid-field and do a press on the back four, although the press was not massively evident yesterday. We are predictable and easy to play, opponents stop our game and then we fall into midfield head tennis and channel balls invariably going nowhere. We need to learn how to counter this if we are to progress but i do not see much evidence of this on the field. PW must work on this, along with the development of further strategic planning in the event that a team does A, then changes to plan B and so on; which has been evident from the opposition in many recent games. 

Have you considered that maybe it's because we're just not very good? and the group of players whom were flung together at extremely short notice last season just to give us a semi competitive team are little more than an ensemble cast.

And now that limited group of players is effectively knackered coming to the fag end of the season. Looking at the age profile of some of the players we brought in little wonder.

We usually beat lower table opposition as that's why they're towards the bottom of the league, doesn't need a brain surgeon to work that one out. But we're not that good to consistently beat teams in the Top 6 which is why our league position is a fair reflection of the status quo. 

But of course some will attribute these "failings" down to the manager. 

I am pretty happy we have a semi competitive team after last season whom are still very much in the hunt for a playoff space.

For others that appears to be totally unacceptable. Each to their own I guess. 

3 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Same here. Booing’s all a bit panto villain but I couldn’t applaud that yesterday.

Actually I only boo the ref, and the best response is to either not be thereby the time m the players come across to the fans, or turn l our backs to them. We did the latter at Villa Park during the Lampard days and it felt like we had made quite a statement. Whether it actually did or not is anyone’s guess!

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have you considered that maybe it's because we're just not very good? and the group of players whom were flung together at extremely short notice last season just to give us a semi competitive team are little more than an ensemble cast.

And now that limited group of players is effectively knackered coming to the fag end of the season. Looking at the age profile of some of the players we brought in little wonder.

We usually beat lower table opposition as that's why they're towards the bottom of the league, doesn't need a brain surgeon to work that one out. But we're not that good to consistently beat teams in the Top 6 which is why our league position is a fair reflection of the status quo. 

But of course some will attribute these "failings" down to the manager. 

I am pretty happy we have a semi competitive team after last season whom are still very much in the hunt for a playoff space.

For others that appears to be totally unacceptable. Each to their own I guess. 

Lokidoki is right about Davies and Fozzie

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Accordingly to some other posters you've left out the elephant in the room for number 3 which is Warne. 

I would suggest that playing gas out football and not controlling games has made the problem worse.

We are beyond that now. We are in game to game survival mode. We can't play gas out for long periods of the game 

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

Our lack of a right-back’s really starting to show. 

NML’s being doubled up on but Korey Smith isn’t overlapping to help him out. Nor can he whip one in from deep.

He was overlapping till a few games ago and now is playing within himself.

I think Warne has been a touch naive. 

Not long after his appointment he publicly acknowledged the age disparity of the team - few/no players mid 20s. 
Then he introduces gas out football - his term. 
We go on a great run and there is little or no squad rotation. Can’t remember the team but in one game he made quite a few subs after we were comfortably ahead and it went a bit Pete tong performance wise (Cheltenham?). 

Now we some players struggling - NML stands out. 
We have springett Barks NML and Dobbin plus Sibbo and knight that could cover the odd game/half though granted not their best position 

it’s like he doesn’t want to throw them in whilst we need wins well current strategy isn’t working Hatman so perhaps we would get the same points playing the bench players but guess what we would have players rested and coming in for the run in a little fresher or maybe in the last 20 games we could have changed the odd player here or there at 60 mins or even the odd game. 
I like that he doesn’t rush players back after injury as he doesn’t want to lose them for more games -rotation works on a similar principle 

Edited by norwichram

5 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Soft touch?  Away to Fleetwood we had something like 27 shots and 9 on target.  If that was soft what were we yesterday?

We didn’t win though did we? Not sure what’s happened in the last month or so I fancied us against anyone now we could get beaten by literally anyone.

We're certainly in a slump, but there was always the danger. We have used far less players (due to the circumstance we're in) than just about any other team in the league, and a lot of our players are over 30. To maintain energy levels was always going to be a monumental task. If we can limp into the playoffs, we're still in with a chance because our first 11 if fit and healthy is still capable of dragging us through, but our lack of squad depth is causing serious problems now.