V Plymouth (a) 7th March 20.00

Boycie

47 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

You are right that we are struggling, in part because we have such limits on the squad, and we are looking leggy because Warne has us playing a high energy game without the size of squad to keep us fit enough. But if you want to think we get the same number of bad decisions against as every other club, you can. 

I think it was a bad decision and we've had a couple this year. I don't think it's our biggest problem and it's not what I'd personally choose to focus on. It doesn't explain why we are where we are, why we can't close games out, and why when other teams step up the tempo we tend to collapse. 

Last year, when the EFL apparently hated us and wanted us out of existence, we conceded three penalties. Three. All season. 

My issue with blaming the refs is that it is just a way of avoiding the fact there are plenty of other more pertinent factors that much better explain why we are where we are. 

Edit: having watched Warne's interview, I'm basically agreeing with him. Good teams rise to adversity. We tend to collapse. It might be tiredness and a small squad. It might be that we aren't yet as good as we need to be, and other teams are simply better. Either way that's the thing we need to face and address. 

Edited by vonwright

It's always going to leave a bitter taste in the mouth when you drop points due to a player diving, regardless of whoever we're playing. It was a big game, last roll of the dice for the top two and we crumbled (again) which is a shame. 

Now, we've got to find a little bit of bottle not to drop out the top 6 altogether, but much like the 2015 season - if we do crumble and drop out then the chances of us winning it were slim to none anyway. Pressure is off in a weird way. 

This league is so underfunded that even if we stay down, we've got nothing to worry about. The Championship may well be a step too far for the club in it's current state anyway, so the additional year at this level (at least while we can't spend fees) could help. I know people are worried about losing players, but really - any half decent player with anything about them should be formidable at this level. Look at McGoldrick. We will have a go at the free agency market this summer and unless our new head of recruitment has some sort of learning disability then we will be ok - especially given the level of opponents.

Good first half, deserved to go in ahead. Football matches are sometimes decided on fine margins. Barks chance is taken at the start of the second half and we probably go on to win. They get the rub of the green for both of their goals and win the game. Not sure if there was any contact for the pen but definitely the decision teams seem to get at home. The limited squad is now being tested and we do seem to fade in games. Be good to have Bird back. Disappointed but on to Oxford ??

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Post match interview hasn’t made it onto YouTube yet for me to share in here but it is on the official site for anyone interested 

Not a fan of Warne but can't fault his honesty tonight. Hopefully will get the desired affect on Sat. COYR 

Looking back at the penalty decision, which was hard to see at the other end of the stadium, it does look like a dive.

But if you are in the penalty area and motion towards the ball, you have to time everything to perfection. If not, you are leaving the referee with a decision to make which is what happened here.

It was very much a game of fine lines.

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

Yes the penalty was a poor decision but we can’t control what the ref sees and what decisions he makes. What we can control is the game when leading 1-0. 

first half we looked good, chances created, goal scored and solid. 2nd half we looked the complete opposite. We didn’t look competent on the ball and simple passes were not completed. We goofed the ball up top hopefully and lost 90% of our battles. We didn’t get to the 2nd balls and break up attacks well enough. We also showed nothing going forward, not at 0-1, not at 1-1 and not at 2-1. We didn’t even seem able to put an attach together. Zero quality. 

a few stats in the 2nd half….

- We only had 40% possession. 
- We had 1 shot on target and 1 shot off target in 50 mins.                                                    
- We had 2 corners                                                   
- We Attempted 143 passes but only completed 83

Those stats above aren’t good enough when trying to control a game when leading and then trying to get something from the game when losing & drawing.

As Warne said we need to do much more and not just play for 45mins. Otherwise we won’t even be in the Playoffs….

I agree with this and whilst I know Warne has limited options from the bench he could have brought on players who know how to retain the ball and calmed things down.

Plymouth went to three at the back but again Warne didn't react until we were chasing the game.

And then he brings on a random assortment of mis-matched subs who don't appear to know what position they're playing. I've never seen such a waste of Sibley's talents. And don't get me started on Collins - I would rather see Cybulski getting the odd sub runout than him. At least Bart knows how to hold up the ball and lay it off without giving away a foul every time! 

I would like to see Warne take some responsibility in his post-match interviews, rather than just calling out his players. Although I have a certain sympathy where Hourihane is concerned! 

On the penalty, it should be an automatic three match ban for players who cheat. Until then, players will continue to get away with this shocking play-acting.

Small consolations. I take no pride (but 5 points) in getting tonight's prediction spot-on. And I'm enjoying a cold beer back at my hotel rather than dodging motorway roadworks and a 4 am return to Derby. I might regret it tomorrow if it snows hard overnight! 

Watched the game two hours behind, and have just read through the thread. My thoughts for anyone that cares.

We played really well first half. Deserved to go in one up.

There manager changed it up, twice, early in the second half, and the momentum swing was noticeable in terms of attacking intent. Warne did nothing, when a couple of substitutions would of clearly helped. We were 1 nil up and just about holding on and he was warming up Dobbin for a like for like swap! We needed more in midfield. Thompson or Springett should have come on for one of our forward players. Or he could have moved Smith into midfield and asked NML or Knight to play RB. As good as NML was first half he might as well not been on the pitch second half.

White is getting pelters, which he doesn’t really deserve. He played ok. He’s a young lad learning his trade not bloody Pirlo. He was unlucky how the ball ran for him on the first goal, and it is difficult to blame him for the penalty, although on balance I can see why it was given. As much as virtually everyone is having a go at the ref, he had a split second to decide, and for what worth I think there was some contact. We would have been screaming for a penalty in the exact same circumstances I am sure. The TV EXPERTS were broadly of the view that contact was made, and I doubt VAR would have overturned it.

The side were poor second half, compounded by baffling substitutions by Warne which didn’t ever look like improving the situation. I fully accept though he is hindered by not having any great forward replacement options - hence when we were one up he should have been shoring the midfield up to help our defence.

Some saying Matete was a horrible player. Perhaps, but we could have done with a Matete in this match.

Overall, they did deserve to win on balance. Not disappointed as I expected to lose tonight. Hopefully the Wendies and Plymouth go up as we wouldn’t want to play either in the playoffs.

We should still get into the playoffs, especially with Bird back and hopefully a fit Chester too.

We can beat any of the other 3 teams in the top 6 in the playoffs. Time though for Warne to start showing he is the League 1 Guardiola, and to start making quicker and more effective and INFLUENTIAL substitution decisions during tight, important matches.

Edited by i-Ram

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

But few games ago forum full of people saying "we'd have lost that under Liam or last season". Unfortunately small squad who look very tired now in second half of games. One of their players when interviewed mentioned their manager had said we concede a lot of goals after 60 minutes and they went for it. Our coaching team need to look at and address this as becoming game plan for other teams

Absolutely agree. We are being over run in the 2nd half .. or, we are not ourselves in the 2nd half... 

This post has nailed it. 

4 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree with this and whilst I know Warne has limited options from the bench he could have brought on players who know how to retain the ball and calmed things down.

Plymouth went to three at the back but again Warne didn't react until we were chasing the game.

And then he brings on a random assortment of mis-matched subs who don't appear to know what position they're playing. I've never seen such a waste of Sibley's talents. And don't get me started on Collins - I would rather see Cybulski getting the odd sub runout than him. At least Bart knows how to hold up the ball and lay it off without giving away a foul every time! 

I would like to see Warne take some responsibility in his post-match interviews, rather than just calling out his players. Although I have a certain sympathy where Hourihane is concerned! 

On the penalty, it should be an automatic three match ban for players who cheat. Until then, players will continue to get away with this shocking play-acting.

Small consolations. I take no pride (but 5 points) in getting tonight's prediction spot-on. And I'm enjoying a cold beer back at my hotel rather than dodging motorway roadworks and a 4 am return to Derby. I might regret it tomorrow if it snows hard overnight! 

Unfair and ridiculous.

Ask Matlock fans their thoughts on Cybulski !

Unlike non-league Nigel, Warne does not call out his players by name, and tonight was a rare time he may have done so collectively.

That Sibley is constantly proffered as a solution has little connection with what happens on the pitch, he came off second best too many times tonight.

Not heard the interviews post match, just the comments in here.

That's 2 games running we haven't reacted to a change at HT by opposition,  resulting in 2 goals each in next 20 minutes.

The management need to see the weaknesses being exploited and attempting to fix from the bench, yet again too late last night, we needed energy in midfield to try to slow down their attacks, Thompson should have been on for White to break up play, although I was concerned at the line up and subs before the game started, away from home against 2nd place and we chose to weaken the midfield by taking Smith out, and to not even have the option to put him back in mid game with Rooney not even on the bench (should have started) was a mistake before a ball was kicked. With Sibs and Dobbin on bench Springett should have missed out to get him in the squad, we seem to deliberately weaken the team for these big away games, that's 2 on trot away from home.

Starting to concern me the lack of response from the bench mid game, especially when we know Warne wants high intensity play, you need to be proactive with the subs.

8 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Warne on RD saying the ref apologised to Smith on the pitch if he got the pen decision wrong! You couldn't make it up!

Think the ref did get it wrong. But don’t think Warne should be deflecting attention from his inability to work out how to find the right balance between experience and youth. Part of his problem is he’s too close to some of the senior players 

Would like to have seen him make changes at half time so as to sit on the 1-0 lead, whilst threatening a goal on the break. We’re good enough to control possession against that lot if he puts the right bodies in the right places. 

First half against Shrews is the only time in the last ?6 games where we have seen the potential of this squad. That’s down to the manager 

Edited by kevinhectoring

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Where were all these managerial frailties when we went unbeaten for 16 games? It’s a funny old game. 

I genuinely think, and have said in here, that we weren't that great for the last 4 or 5 of that run, but winning mentality carries you. I'd suggest having Bird available meant he didn't have to find the balance in the team, so easy to manage.

Also that run was after he'd got our fitness levels to where he wanted and as the end of Jan came and the frailties returned,  is that down to tiredness?  Again the management needs to utilise the squad to prevent burn out.

It was obvious on Saturday that we needed to.make changes after 50-55 minutes, it was obvious again last night, the worry is the balance within the 18 avaliable didn't even give them the opportunity to address the problem mid game.

11 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Where were all these managerial frailties when we went unbeaten for 16 games? It’s a funny old game. 

It must make the opposition managers life easy when they know exactly how we are going to set up and how we are going to try and play.  Warne praised Plymouth in his pre-match interview for having different ways of playing.  You could never say the same about us.

Needs to look at himself and the coaching team.  Not really sure calling out the players for effectively running out of steam is a great look when you yourself are starting to look more and more like a one trick pony.

Edited by Blondest Goat
Mistype