V Shrewsbury Town (H) 4th March 15.00

Boycie

So there were two main reasons we ended up with just one point today. The first one is Derby County FC, and the second one is that we were well and truly EFL'd today. I will expand on the last point, resurrecting my penchant for giving refs a hard time. Let's get that out of the way.

For the first 30 minutes I thought he did really well, and was going to outdo Ruby Tuesday, starting with coming in hard on timewasting, and booking Leahy for throwing the ball away. Not being undermined by poor decisions we played tremendously well for the first half, and were deservedly 2 up at half time. However, from the 30 minute mark onwards the ref let them kick the ball away and waste time with importunity. He rightly booked McGoldrick for a professional foul, some 5 minutes after the event because of playing the advantage, then having to wait for the ball to go out of play. Excellent refereeing. But then he got the mandatory EFL edict and his performance flipped.

I noticed from that point onwards we hardly got any free kicks near the opposition penalty area. Leahy was obviously trying to run the match without playing any football, bar taking the penalty, which the self-important little runt stole from their normal penalty taker! He was in the ref's ear all match, and should have been carded for it, which would have been his second yellow, of course. That was never going to happen, and towards the end of the match the ref had several "arm around his mate" moments. Sickening!

Wildsmith was blatantly tripped while shaping up to play the ball out and nothing was given, and same again when Smith had his legs taken from under him to stop a counter attack. This time the ref hid behind playing the advantage, but didn't book the player at the next break of play. Very poor inconsistency. Similarly Dobbin being almost murdered on the touch line produced not even a verbal warning. Why he didn't actually wear a yellow and blue shirt I don't know. Twice Shrewsbury players simply gently sat down and won - no, were gifted a free kick, so a soft penalty was virtually nailed on. The was a huge shout for handball and penalty for Derby towards the end of the match which obviously wasn't given - anyone from the North Stand care to comment? Actually I have just seen a replay of both incidents, and Rooney does "make contact" (but only just) with the Shrewsbury player, but it was nothing like the all-in wrestling which is allowed in the area all match long. And there was a hug shout from the North Stand (which is normally quite well-mannered at times like this, and the players immediately appealed - both a sure sign something was amiss. It turns out all that was amiss was the referee!

In the first half we were well on top, and although Shrewsbury gave us a good game, we could have been 3 or 4 up at half time, and could possibly end up getting 4 or 5. Well that's what it felt like at the break. But as ever we came out half asleep and took ages to get going again, an all-too common a trait for Derby County. And Wildsmith should have done better with the free-kick, irrespective of him colliding with the post. At the same time Steve Cotterill had obviously kick a load of backsides, and changed his tactics because Shrewsbury came out for the second absolutely on it. Even so, despite being under the cosh for at least the first 20 minutes, we still created 4 or 5 really good opportunities, but put them all over the bar, except Dobbin's header, which was met with a stunning save. 

Actually I was expecting the usual Steve Cotterill football, which isn't very easy on the eye, but his team put up a good showing in the first half, without really threatening. But the second half saw not only a better performance, but also the Cotterill ugly stuff as well. And although Paul change the team a little, we are starting to see the consequence of a small squad in a tough, unrelenting league. WE looked quite leggy in the second half, with Barkhuisen blowing hard early on in the second half. Unless thins change in our favour, second place is out of reach, but we are currently fairly well secure in the play-offs. Let's keep the faith. And let's stay right behind our boys, and never give up.

It isn't over until the crap referee sings!

First half, they played a really narrow 352, and that left our fullbacks completely free to attack.  They were an easy out-ball for us when playing out from the back, and caused them all sorts of problems (the first goal being an obvious example, with major contributions from both of them).  As well as we played (and we did play very well), it was at least in part because they allowed us to.

Second half, they switched to a 343 and put their 2 wingers right on our fullbacks and completely stifled them.  At no stage did our bench react to that change and ultimately that’s what’s cost us today.  They pressed us into a mistake for the first goal, then our overall tiredness and fragile confidence started rearing it’s head.  We needed to change something very quickly in the second half, as it was obvious what was happening. It didn’t have to be a sub, it could have been a tweak to the team shape or style of play or something. But we did nothing until we made a couple of basically like-for-like subs after 70 odd minutes that didn’t really change anything anyway.  

I know some people don’t want to hear it, but to me that match epitomises Paul Warne’s management. He can get a group of players fit and working hard for each other, but sometimes that’s not enough on it’s own.  You can’t win every game just by running around more than the other team.  Sometimes you need to be smarter than they are.  And I worry that the higher you go up the leagues, the more of those games there are. 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Todays game was more important than Tuesday. I agree that we are missing Bird. Good player, not that matchday threads in earlier months recognised how much he helped us keep a shape when the ball was flying back and forth.

I agree that today was more important. 

What an afternoon ! Cruising in the first half by playing neat aggressive football, whole team up for it.

1st half Shrews .. big, strong athletic -  fought hard but were out gunned and out skilled.

2nd half multiple errors leading to a goal and 20 minutes of mad house hurried panic, lost our swagger. Fought back but too late.

Observations 

1) They dealt with Cash .. he starts a lot of our play, winning headers and bringing the ball out but he isn’t a giant .. they had 2 on him in short order. He can cope with one tall effer, but one in his back and one in front of him presents a problem. He still gave a manful performance but was close to being bullied and lucky not to be sent off when it got messy. 

2) Fozzy should have sorted it earlier

3) A lot of credit to Shrews who never gave up, their pressing was admirable

4) no credit to the ref who missed numerous infractions and was a fussy sob - I mostly mean hand balls - what the eff was the the Didsy one where the guy literally pulled it out of a neck clinch … and was there a peno in the second half ? Looked like 2 hands on the ball to me ? 

5) Didsy tried to do too much in the 2nd half

6) peno seemed a bit harsh and shouldn’t detract from a good Rooney performance. 

Smith deserved his MOTM, apart from covering defence he played some lovely tight balls on the edge of the box and was nimble footed all over the pitch - great effort . That said, I thought Roberts had a storming game even without a cracking goal. 

Sounds almost contradictory to say we played well, but I think we did but got undone by a couple of errors, luck of the bounce and 20 minutes where we allowed ourselves to be rattled by some hard working opponents. Can we have last weeks ref back. Hugely more competent than this one. 

As the song goes “My Momma said there’d be days like this” … pick yourselves up, we didn’t lose, we go again COYR

As if last Saturday wasn’t a big enough warning when faffing around with the ball at the back… why isn’t Fozzy just putting that ball 40 foot in the air out of play? Then to not bring him down straight away. Really frustrating to do that a couple of minutes after the half and unfortunately it set the tone for the next 20. Anyone but Dobbin from 6 yards out and then Collins trying bicycle kicks… what an annoying second half. 

First half was one of the most comfortable of the season. Big shame, that. 

On 02/03/2023 at 17:21, Ghost of Clough said:

White much better than Hourihane on Tuesday and Sibley take better corners

you clearly don't value accurate passing. Hourihane is the best of our corner takers. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Lost 2 in 20 league games is it? Don’t think he is doing too bad. Shrewsbury have won 8 and drawn 1 of their last 11 games and are no mugs. Let’s not overreact and move on to Plymouth ?

2 in 20 but last 6 games 2 w 2 L 2 D games before that we were lucky to get results! We looking poor teams have worked out how to stop us they are all doing the same! We are too negative with our subs sometimes you have to go attacking 

Not read the thread so here I go, I don't think I've been so wound up by a result for years, We were out of site in the 1st half, Shrewsbury couldn't handle our width and ball play, In the 1st 7 mins we could and should have been 1-0 up, Dobins cross into the box and McGoldrick's missed queued header, But we went in 2-0, Easy aint it, Just keep the ball 2nd half and alls good.

No, Forsyth thinks he's Beckenbauer gives the ball away on the half way line, Chases back, Brings player down, Gets booked, Free kick...goal, Nerves are now on edge including mine, Shrewsbury are now back in the game...WTF, Penalty which I missed(toilet break)and 2-2.

We still had enough chances...half chances to win the game, Best one falling to Dobin, He hit the target that's all we ask, But keeper pulls out a good save.

It's a point, But feels like a loss, Shrewsbury think it's a win, There's no point in having a pop at the officials, PW is not at fault, Players who make simple mistakes and get punished are to blame, It happens world wide, It happens to great players, It happens to those who play Sunday football.

Frustrating aint the word for me...we gave Shrewsbury that point...end of?

One final point got the bus back home, I could have got the bus to the game...but wasn't aware Grampian Way had reopened...happy days...well nearly ?

Edited by The Last Post

19 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Barkhuisen blowing hard early on in the second half.

He made one 40 yd run, where he knocked it around the full back and beat him to the ball, that resulted in him looking like a London Marathon winner after a sprint finish. 

This league, and it's schedule, are relentless, with no chance for a break. I'm getting worn out as a fan, so god knows how the players are feeling? 

There's an international break coming up soon, we'll possibly get enough call ups to postpone a game. 

If so, and the budget allows, I'd take the players away for a few days warm weather training, just to freshen things up.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

My opinion is nothing more than my opinion. If he gets us promoted I will be as happy as any other Ram. I doubt offering Paul Warne an apology (or not) will matter a jot to him. But, if it might in some way make you feel a wrong has been rightened then I will post an appropriate apology for you.

Sorry, was just a cheap and clearly crap gag about a post a few weeks ago, when things were going slightly better and Warne mania was in full flow, suggesting anyone who had expressed doubts about him should be ready to apologise to him.

I think my opinion on him is pretty similar to yours. Posters with his face on are yet to adorn the walls of my bedroom. 

Dobbin would've had a dozen goals this season if he could actually finish - he's absolutely awful with his decision making.

Reminds me of Ibe, too many unnecessary touches and tries too hard, rather than stay and do the basis.

Also. Collins I'm amazed whats happened to the guy who scored for fun at this level not overly long ago. He's woeful 

17 minutes ago, DRBee said:

you clearly don't value accurate passing. Hourihane is the best of our corner takers. 

Our corners are sh*t im not saying just the delieries but all round. we look like a sunday morning team with them just floated balls in to the box we need to vary the crosses up a bit or do something different from corners, warne always says how important set plays are and we never look like we are going to score any ever! 

40 minutes ago, Amberram said:

We’re just not very good

We have made our bed

Now we lie in it

Well, whilst the second half performance wasn’t good, we are evidently good enough to occupy a top 6 place. We obvious need to make sure we stay there, enter the lottery of the play offs and win at Wembley.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Oh the unfairness of it all. Can't be a good bit of whatabouttery either at the same time.

We got caught cos our old owner was that incompetent and inept so vent your spleen at him properly. 

Anyway we've got what we got so whinging about it isn't going to change anything, we just need to suck it up and do what we're currently doing and get into the playoffs this season. 

Hey fellow Derby County fans,

I know we're all feeling frustrated and disappointed about the EFL's punishment of our club. It's unfair that we have to suffer the consequences of the actions of our former owner, Mel Morris. He's the one who oversaw the overspending and managerial turnover that led us to where we are today.

But I also want to point out that there was a way for Mel Morris to be punished without it affecting us and our club. The EFL could have imposed fines or sanctions on Morris personally, rather than punishing the club and its supporters.

I think it's important to acknowledge this because it's not fair for us to bear the brunt of someone else's mistakes. We love our club and we want to see it thrive, but it's hard to do that when we're facing such harsh punishments.

Let's continue to support our team through this difficult time, but let's also push for more accountability from those who are responsible. We deserve better.

4 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Still in the play offs. 

Yep and gap to 7th same. Not long ago our discussions were around potentially starting on -15 if big mike screwed the creditors over. Cant be an excuse forever but while we're still under the sanctions due to MM we shouldnt forget